License to shoot pigeons

Hi, not shot pigeons for a while as farmer retired and new farmer had his own people to take care of them, 

a local farmer has asked if I can do some pest control round his farm,

now as iv not done it for a while I never really took much notice of the new law where you had to get a license to shoot pigeons and the like,

is this still the case?

thanks.

lucas. 

Assuming you are using a shotgun make sure your SGC is still valid , your present gun is detailed on the licence and also very wise to have insurance, BASC are very good, membership includes insurance and you get good legal representation if thing go wrong. also wise to have written permission to enter the land ( but not essential ) as long as you can confirm by phone with the landowner for any plod checking you out,

I don't know how long ago you last shot but if in doubt 'ask' , armed trespass is 5 years in lock up and loss of guns and licence.

I was pulled by 2 armed officers in squad cars leaving a permission after a days shooting, they kept me for an hour while they grilled me, checked all my paperwork,my gun, then did a full roadworthy check on my van plus full paperwork check  with DVLA, they found NOTHING :but told me to notify the local police whenever I would be going out to shoot in the future (yeh right , fat chance) all because some little old lady up the road thought it was cruel to shoot pigeons and claimed I had live birds as decoys ( 2 flappers ) which I had to set up and demonstrate to the officers to prove the birds on them were dead.

No one is going to make it easy for you, so don't take any chances.

On 28/05/2020 at 17:13, lakeside1000 said:

Assuming you are using a shotgun make sure your SGC is still valid , your present gun is detailed on the licence and also very wise to have insurance, BASC are very good, membership includes insurance and you get good legal representation if thing go wrong. also wise to have written permission to enter the land ( but not essential ) as long as you can confirm by phone with the landowner for any plod checking you out,

I don't know how long ago you last shot but if in doubt 'ask' , armed trespass is 5 years in lock up and loss of guns and licence.

I was pulled by 2 armed officers in squad cars leaving a permission after a days shooting, they kept me for an hour while they grilled me, checked all my paperwork,my gun, then did a full roadworthy check on my van plus full paperwork check  with DVLA, they found NOTHING :but told me to notify the local police whenever I would be going out to shoot in the future (yeh right , fat chance) all because some little old lady up the road thought it was cruel to shoot pigeons and claimed I had live birds as decoys ( 2 flappers ) which I had to set up and demonstrate to the officers to prove the birds on them were dead.

No one is going to make it easy for you, so don't take any chances.

Thanks mate. Yes I’m all above board. I still shoot clays every week. Just not pigeons anymore. And I always make sure I have written permission just in case. And I’m a member of BASC as I used to be in the NPPC. 

thanks. 

lucas. 

Thats great Lucas, best of luck with your pigeon pursuits, hope you find a few birds, It seems really patchy at the moment, some have loads to go at but some are struggling even to get a few shots off, still its great just to get out again after the lock down and the farmers will be glad to see us out again.👍