Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Earlier this week a farmer who I have shot pigeon for over many years phoned to give me the location of two pea fields which had just been sown by contractors.   Not sure how I stood during the lock down I tried to phone local police office, no connection Police Scotland obviously do not like local contact.  Next tried the 101 number, got a selection of options, chose the one I wanted then within a few minutes was connected.   A very polite lady sorted things out, I was given an incident number, not kidding, she needed the nearest village, name of the farm,car reg and shotgun cert number.  Also needed the approx times I would be there, when I would finish and I needed to call back to log of from the incident number. As it was it was possible to drive to a good observation point between the two fields where in three hours saw one pigeon alight and a host of rooks.   Walked the field with wild spaniel who found plenty of interesting scents and lost the ability to hear.   Back home phoned to log of at around 4pm  and had an over 20 minute wait before connected.  Very courteous again but there must be a better use of police sources than logging people on and off pest control.

 

Blackpowder

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Blackpowder said:

Earlier this week a farmer who I have shot pigeon for over many years phoned to give me the location of two pea fields which had just been sown by contractors.   Not sure how I stood during the lock down I tried to phone local police office, no connection Police Scotland obviously do not like local contact.  Next tried the 101 number, got a selection of options, chose the one I wanted then within a few minutes was connected.   A very polite lady sorted things out, I was given an incident number, not kidding, she needed the nearest village, name of the farm,car reg and shotgun cert number.  Also needed the approx times I would be there, when I would finish and I needed to call back to log of from the incident number. As it was it was possible to drive to a good observation point between the two fields where in three hours saw one pigeon alight and a host of rooks.   Walked the field with wild spaniel who found plenty of interesting scents and lost the ability to hear.   Back home phoned to log of at around 4pm  and had an over 20 minute wait before connected.  Very courteous again but there must be a better use of police sources than logging people on and off pest control.

 

Blackpowder

There is no need to phone the police.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi there I shoot in scotland as well, In these times where everyone has dusted off their Christmas bikes and just about every other person is either jogging about the countryside or ar on horse, it is better to phone 101 and ask for an incident to be raised as the people around in the countryside just now who may have never saw or heard someone shooting would contact police and probably state there was an armed madman running about the countryside with a "MACHINE GUN" . Police scotland would then send armed police or a helicopter in the first instance to attend and find out whereabouts you are, whereby you would have to spend time identifying both yourself and farmer (wich would probably **** him off). I have my farmers details with a contact number for them with me everytime I go shooting and give the farmer details of where I will be on any given days shooting. Also have reg for car and details of where car is and make and model. If you shoot regularly on any farm your details should automatically appear on the screen the operator is using making it easier each time you shoot..and a lot of the time it will be the same operator who answers the call. I know it's a pain but it keeps you right and out of trouble. ..especially from members of the public who don't usually venture out into the countryside.

 

Hope this explains a couple of things

Link to post
Share on other sites

All you should need for area is farm name and postcode and contact  umber for farmer and yourself. if you dont know post code google it or look at it on Google maps and that wil show you nearby roads .I keep all details in my certificate wallet and take photo of details and if you forget anything you always have it on your phone and you can either write it down or view photo if you can work out how to do it on phone...! The police will contact either you or farmer if anyone phones about gunshots in your area.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lowrie59 said:

Hi there I shoot in scotland as well, In these times where everyone has dusted off their Christmas bikes and just about every other person is either jogging about the countryside or ar on horse, it is better to phone 101 and ask for an incident to be raised as the people around in the countryside just now who may have never saw or heard someone shooting would contact police and probably state there was an armed madman running about the countryside with a "MACHINE GUN" . Police scotland would then send armed police or a helicopter in the first instance to attend and find out whereabouts you are, whereby you would have to spend time identifying both yourself and farmer (wich would probably **** him off). I have my farmers details with a contact number for them with me everytime I go shooting and give the farmer details of where I will be on any given days shooting. Also have reg for car and details of where car is and make and model. If you shoot regularly on any farm your details should automatically appear on the screen the operator is using making it easier each time you shoot..and a lot of the time it will be the same operator who answers the call. I know it's a pain but it keeps you right and out of trouble. ..especially from members of the public who don't usually venture out into the countryside.

 

Hope this explains a couple of things

Well reading the BASC guide I cannot see the need for any of the above.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dead eye alan said:

I shoot over 13 farms spread over a large area, and do not know where or when or if i will be shooting , so phoning police is a wast of my and more importantly their time.

Exactly! And it will soon become habitual for many and then we will all have to do it because the Chief Constables will think it is a good idea!

ONLY needs doing if near to housing!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Exactly! And it will soon become habitual for many and then we will all have to do it because the Chief Constables will think it is a good idea!

ONLY needs doing if near to housing!

Yep, that’s all we bloody need some high-up in the police thinking that’s a good idea, we can put a bit more pressure on people who wish to own guns.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Centrepin said:

If this is any help?

He's in Scotland.  Clearly says the advice applies to England.

That said, I just looked in vain on both the BASC site and the SGA for their advice on shooting/pest contol north of the border, neither site was particularly helpful.

Maybe @David BASC could chime in with a link.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

He's in Scotland.  Clearly says the advice applies to England.

That said, I just looked in vain on both the BASC site and the SGA for their advice on shooting/pest contol north of the border, neither site was particularly helpful.

Maybe @David BASC could chime in with a link.

 

Thank you

Blackpowder

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not saying to anyone that they need to contact the police..but there is enough folk trying to stop us shooting without all the folk out and about in the countryside who never see anyone shooting. I hace observed literally hundreds of members of the public when usually I see a handfull if I am lucky  during a weekends shoot. It is my experience that I am sometimes better to contact police to keep myself right and not have police turning up and questioning both myself and the famer. I did not at any time say...you must contact police by law...there's enough antis out there without fellow shooters going off on one saying it will,lead to it becoming law,for goodness sake. As I stated where...I shoot in scotland it is sometimes better so I don't have the police turning up...and possibly making more antis due to not knowing what's going on in the countryside and panicking and contacting police.

Link to post
Share on other sites

You can call them in England get a ref number and they will still turn up if they get a call from a member of the public. Life is too short to bother with a service set up for it's own benefit, less inclined to help a shooter by providing clear advice during the first lock down. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

for Northumbria police I got a number from the girl at the call centre so I can text through my details, they text back log number and when I am finished i text to log off very easy all I give them is my name, name of farm where shooting,how many shooting,and vehicle reg. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...