12v / 6v battery charger

steve_b_wales

I use one of these

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F201718967185

I have had others before but found anything less than 10A means trouble on those days when the car won’t start and you have to be at work pretty sharpish. If buying again I would probably consider buying an even higher current one. 

If trickle charging, instead of buying on of those oxford bike trickle chargers which are bloody expensive, i use a 12v model railway power supply. I cant remember the output, but i think its half a amp. Whenever my bikes in storage for winter or i know its not going to get used, i wire that up via some croc clips ive put on. My battery has lasted 4+ years now where as before id buy one every 2 years. 

Cost. £4 on ebay.

Also i noticed with the lidl ones they must have a failsafe on them, as when i made a bath up to blast some rust off some parts i had, it wouldnt work. But charges a battery fine. Pita. 

Edited by strimmer_13

46 minutes ago, Loki said:

Hi

MXS 5.0 CTEK smart charger - does a variety of things including reconditioning a battery (subject to some life left).

L

CTEK are very good - but (and it is a BIG but) the membrane switch used on some to select the mode is prone to failure due to contact corrosion/tarnish.  I have two and have had two fail this way (both of which were covered under warranty) and now (thanks to a you tube video) know the way to cure the problem.  Google "ctek charger mode button not working" for more details.

Edited by JohnfromUK