New in South Yorkshire

Tbreak

Greetings, all.

I hopped onto the forum at the tail end of last year when I was turning my mind to starting up with pigeon shooting. I've just recently gotten some permissions - right before the lockdown came about, so I'm only just now getting out for some sport. Still, it gave me leisure to read my Archie Coats a couple of times whilst gazing thoughtfully/hungrily at the local pigeons.

I'm brand new to decoying and have hardly fired a shot in the last twenty years due to being overseas (I spent this winter just gone Wildfowling, but there was a lot more hunkering in the rain than shooting. A lot more. Still, cheap on cartridges).

The threads and topics on this forum have been hugely helpful, so thank you all for those. I'm sure I will have a good few questions in time, but for now I'm going to spend some time out with my new shiny decoys, read up on the threads and start on my list of all the ways the birds are outwitting me!

18 minutes ago, Tbreak said:

Greetings, all.

I hopped onto the forum at the tail end of last year when I was turning my mind to starting up with pigeon shooting. I've just recently gotten some permissions - right before the lockdown came about, so I'm only just now getting out for some sport. Still, it gave me leisure to read my Archie Coats a couple of times whilst gazing thoughtfully/hungrily at the local pigeons.

I'm brand new to decoying and have hardly fired a shot in the last twenty years due to being overseas (I spent this winter just gone Wildfowling, but there was a lot more hunkering in the rain than shooting. A lot more. Still, cheap on cartridges).

The threads and topics on this forum have been hugely helpful, so thank you all for those. I'm sure I will have a good few questions in time, but for now I'm going to spend some time out with my new shiny decoys, read up on the threads and start on my list of all the ways the birds are outwitting me!

If your decoys are “shiny” you’ll shoot nowt! 😂..........welcome to PW though. :good:

Thanks for the welcome, both.

Panoma1, fortunately that was just a misleading turn of phrase! I think the decoys will be fine.

On second thoughts, actually, it's the decoys. Yes, that's why my score count is low. Definitely the fault of the decoys 🙂

Edited by Tbreak

Hi, I'm NW Sheffield, so where abouts are you?

If you're new to pigeons and crows and fancy someone to shoot with let me know and we can arrange something.

If you Google NPPC I shoot on their perms and you would be welcome on a guest ticket.

I currently shoot 4 or 5 times a week,  never hit anything but I do like the sound of the bangs.

12 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

If you're new to pigeons and crows and fancy someone to shoot with let me know and we can arrange something.

If you Google NPPC I shoot on their perms and you would be welcome on a guest ticket.

I currently shoot 4 or 5 times a week,  never hit anything but I do like the sound of the bangs.

Fair play to you Cp that's a great offer to get a newby started....PW at it's best...

Stay safe 

M1

14 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

I'm in Nethergreen, so can't be all that far away.

I've just done my Googling of NPPC - looks fantastic! I would love to take you up on that please. I'm on furlough at the minute as well, so very flexible for days. Thank you!

I'm what we shall charitably call "a developing shot"

Edited by Tbreak

7 minutes ago, Tbreak said:

I'm in Nethergreen, so can't be all that far away.

I've just done my Googling of NPPC - looks fantastic! I would love to take you up on that please. I'm on furlough at the minute as well, so very flexible for days. Thank you!

I'm what we shall charitably call "a developing shot"

I'm in Stannington so only a few minutes away.

If you fancy a day next week, probably Wednesday or Friday I'll find out which perms have pigeons and we'll book a day.

If you ring John at the NPPC, he'll send you details of joining which would be better in the long run than a day ticket. Either way let me know and I'll PM you my phone number. 

9 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

I'm in Stannington so only a few minutes away.

If you fancy a day next week, probably Wednesday or Friday I'll find out which perms have pigeons and we'll book a day.

If you ring John at the NPPC, he'll send you details of joining which would be better in the long run than a day ticket. Either way let me know and I'll PM you my phone number. 

Yes, not far at all.

I can do either of those days next week. I'm out on the crows tomorrow, so I'll look to give John a call on Friday. As others have said, this is a superb offer to a new member - I very much appreciate it.

47 minutes ago, Tbreak said:

Yes, not far at all.

I can do either of those days next week. I'm out on the crows tomorrow, so I'll look to give John a call on Friday. As others have said, this is a superb offer to a new member - I very much appreciate it.

No worries, I'm out on the Crows tomorrow too.

39 minutes ago, rapid .25 said:

Welcome to the forum bud, enjoy your pigeon shooting although it does tend to strain the patience at times, but it's all worth it.👍

I've read a fair few pigeon decoying articles and accounts now from the comfort of my quarantine armchair, so I recon I must have rather got the understanding of it.

Seems to me that what you have to do is set your decoys out and then sort of dash back to the hide pretty sharpish to the get the gun slip off before the first customer comes sailing into view (this seems to be something of a race between the pigeon and the shooter, so I've been training my standing start sprints) and then just hope that you've brought enough cartridges for the day.  

1 hour ago, Tbreak said:

I've read a fair few pigeon decoying articles and accounts now from the comfort of my quarantine armchair, so I recon I must have rather got the understanding of it.

Seems to me that what you have to do is set your decoys out and then sort of dash back to the hide pretty sharpish to the get the gun slip off before the first customer comes sailing into view (this seems to be something of a race between the pigeon and the shooter, so I've been training my standing start sprints) and then just hope that you've brought enough cartridges for the day.  

You never have an understanding😁 the predictability is so unpredictable they always catch you off guard.

Although, if you pour a drink or bite a sandwich that's a sure enough sign they'll arrive 🤣