The Wash

wildfowler.250

Does or has anyone on here wildfowl or visit the wash? It’s one of those places that pops up almost anywhere you look involving wildfowling. Are there any parts that are particularly scenic or nice to visit? Would like to go for a day ticket at some point but I suspect it’s a huge area? Not too fussed for getting a shot or not but would be nice to see the place at some point.

Few more months to go!

46 minutes ago, wildfowler.250 said:

Does or has anyone on here wildfowl or visit the wash? It’s one of those places that pops up almost anywhere you look involving wildfowling. Are there any parts that are particularly scenic or nice to visit? Would like to go for a day ticket at some point but I suspect it’s a huge area? Not too fussed for getting a shot or not but would be nice to see the place at some point.

Few more months to go!

I know of several PW members that shoot the Wash. Look back in time and several well known people have shot the wash. For me the East Lighthouse holds fond memories was the Home of Peter Scott and his Wildfowl collection also it's the place where i first started Wildfowling many years ago aged 11. Shep White's where Kenzie's house boat used to be again as a young lad i met and spoke to Kenzie on several occasions Holbeach Camp is another place i personally find amazing no doubt others can point you to places I've missed out

4 hours ago, 6.5x55SE said:

I know of several PW members that shoot the Wash. Look back in time and several well known people have shot the wash. For me the East Lighthouse holds fond memories was the Home of Peter Scott and his Wildfowl collection also it's the place where i first started Wildfowling many years ago aged 11. Shep White's where Kenzie's house boat used to be again as a young lad i met and spoke to Kenzie on several occasions Holbeach Camp is another place i personally find amazing no doubt others can point you to places I've missed out

Thanks for the reply! Certainly that’s along the lines I’m thinking of. Kenzie’s book is a great read. Do you know which clubs these places are attached to? I haven’t heard of the East lighthouse so that’s really interesting,(obviously Peter Scott doesn’t need an Introduction though!).

Thanks again!

28 minutes ago, wildfowler.250 said:

Thanks for the reply! Certainly that’s along the lines I’m thinking of. Kenzie’s book is a great read. Do you know which clubs these places are attached to? I haven’t heard of the East lighthouse so that’s really interesting,(obviously Peter Scott doesn’t need an Introduction though!).

Thanks again!

Sent you a PM

50 minutes ago, wildfowler.250 said:

Thanks again!

Do you mean Colin Willocks book!......“Kenzie the wild goose man”?

7 hours ago, wildfowler.250 said:

Few more months to go!

If you were interested, I could take you out for a flight this season. Fenland is one of the best clubs on the wash for geese. It isn't the best for ducks, but can be good in the right conditions. 

2 minutes ago, motty said:

If you were interested, I could take you out for a flight this season. Fenland is one of the best clubs on the wash for geese. It isn't the best for ducks, but can be good in the right conditions. 

I'm very interested 😊😁 pleeeeeese Sir 

5 hours ago, London Best said:

Which mentions the East Lighthouse!

Could well do! I Was probably only about 12 when I read it so a good 18 years ago now. Really need to pick that book up again!

3 hours ago, motty said:

Cheers Motty, really appreciate that and very kind! I’d be happy just to see the place regardless of what is happening birds wise. Is there better marshes on the wash for ducks? I just need to get there at some point rather than visiting the same old haunts. Variety being the spice of life and all that..

Thanks for all the replies guys! Really appreciate it. It’s hard to know where’s nice to visit when it’s a massive area and miles away. Visiting somewhere with a bit of history behind it is certainly a nice idea. If anyone has any recommendations / previous experiences / B and Bs ect or any other suggestions then that would be brilliant!

The Wash is like any fowling area, it has good and bad times. But is always a beautiful place to visit, Its well worth joining a club or two if you can afford it , i do not think you will be disappointed.

I will PM you some Insight and a few details you might find of help. Good luck whatever you decide to do.

My great grandmother ran the Marine Hotel at Frieston Shore a century or thereabouts ago. I've maybe two, three pictures of it in it's heyday and some with men with big long fowling side by side guns coming and going. If anyone thinks it is worth scanning and posting them I'll get it done.

Edited by enfieldspares

10 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

My great grandmother ran the Marine Hotel at Frieston Shore a century or thereabouts ago. I've maybe two, three pictures of it in it's heyday and some with men with big long fowling side by side guns coming and going. If anyone thinks it is worth scanning and posting them I'll get it done.

Sounds interesting, and i am sure many would like to see any pictures you chose to share here, i am one such person for sure.

8 hours ago, wildfowler.250 said:

Could well do! I Was probably only about 12 when I read it so a good 18 years ago now. Really need to pick that book up again!

Cheers Motty, really appreciate that and very kind! I’d be happy just to see the place regardless of what is happening birds wise. Is there better marshes on the wash for ducks? I just need to get there at some point rather than visiting the same old haunts. Variety being the spice of life and all that..

Thanks for all the replies guys! Really appreciate it. It’s hard to know where’s nice to visit when it’s a massive area and miles away. Visiting somewhere with a bit of history behind it is certainly a nice idea. If anyone has any recommendations / previous experiences / B and Bs ect or any other suggestions then that would be brilliant!

the rose and crown pub at Holbeach hurn lets caravans out to wildfowlers only about a 10 minute drive from shep whites

It was all dilapidated and derelict by the 1960s but as a kid interesting for all the pillboxes and gun emplacements. But you never saw the lads from the then North Sea Camp Borstal. Does anyone recall the "Union Jack" houses at Butterwick (?), two of them, that were three layers of red white and blue brick on the front? Or it may have been a village nearby to Frieston Shore?

My mother always mentioned the samphire to my son, her grandson, there and certainly in the 1960s there was loads of it. So one day when it became a fashionable vegetable through celebrity chefs he bought her a jar of pickled samphire. She thanked him very much and said that she hated the stuff! I'll look the pictures out this afternoon and early evening.

Edited by enfieldspares

15 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

Certainly, yes please 👍

19 hours ago, wildfowler.250 said:

The Lincolnshire side of the wash is probably better for duck, overall, whereas I would say the Norfolk side is better for the pinks. 

There are several parts of the wash that I have never shot, so I may have to get round a bit more!