Car insurance rebate

Old Boggy

Probably been mentioned elsewhere, but has anyone received a rebate from their insurance company due to the lockdown and less use of their cars ?

I insured my two cars last year with Admiral and have recently received a rebate of £50 (£25 per car). No doubt at renewal time (July) the rebate will be somehow built back into the new premium, but the rebate is better than a poke in the eye with a blunt stick and I always go to comparison sites when renewing anyway.

Any other companies doing the same ?

OB

1 minute ago, Old Boggy said:

Probably been mentioned elsewhere, but has anyone received a rebate from their insurance company due to the lockdown and less use of their cars ?

I insured my two cars last year with Admiral and have recently received a rebate of £50 (£25 per car). No doubt at renewal time (July) the rebate will be somehow built back into the new premium, but the rebate is better than a poke in the eye with a blunt stick and I always go to comparison sites when renewing anyway.

Any other companies doing the same ?

OB

I had not even considered a rebate. I bet it is all part of their plan to keep you as a customer. I normally shop around to get a good deal on my Italian Sports car.

1 minute ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I had not even considered a rebate. I bet it is all part of their plan to keep you as a customer. I normally shop around to get a good deal on my Italian Sports car.

Yes, I'm sure that it's a ploy to retain loyalty but as said, I always shop around anyway, so I will only renew with them if their quote is competitive.

However, my 20 year old Rav 4 in no way can compete with your Italian sports car :no:

OB

1 hour ago, Old Boggy said:

Yes, I'm sure that it's a ploy to retain loyalty but as said, I always shop around anyway, so I will only renew with them if their quote is competitive.

However, my 20 year old Rav 4 in no way can compete with your Italian sports car :no:

OB

youve done well with that boi

36 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

I’m with Diamond (I think) and they sent me a £25 rebate ... I never asked for it they just did it off their own backs. 

Same with Admiral. Had an email saying I will be getting rebate within two weeks and it was paid the next day. Cannot argue with that.

OB

The rebate wasn't entirely a benevolent act by the insurers. Many businesses parked their fleets up on private land and took them off risk for a month or two during lockdown, saving a wedge of money. That option may have been available under the terms of private motors policies too - so the rebate was to dissuade you taking cars on an off risk or not renewing for a couple of months - a hassle for all but it might be worth the money for some.

With the dramatic drop in miles driven it is highly likely that the insurers are going to clean up this year. I wonder how much of a donation their association will donate to the NHS on their collective behalf from these extraordinary profits. Don't hold your breath though.