Turnips

Shooter1966

Fill yer boots. I think your buddy could well be right as at this time of year when the drilling are over, nothing is laid and certainly not ready for harvest and assuming that there's no other crops available to them in the area, then the stubble turnips have given me the best returns of any crop I can shoot over. I've found it best when there is some growth but it's still young and tender. On occasion, the farmer will sow later in the year if he's going to let his mate over winter his sheep on the land and at that time it doesn't appear to be so attractive.

cant go til tomorrow, stowing dad away today  at 1300 hrs, the virus didn't get him,but this bloody lockdown did,suppose though good innings at 91, was still shooting at 89,and still using the gun he bought when he was thirty something.

but yes I will be filling my boots tomorrow in his memory.

Rip Stoney , Bloody Legend

6 minutes ago, Shooter1966 said:

cant go til tomorrow, stowing dad away today  at 1300 hrs, the virus didn't get him,but this bloody lockdown did,suppose though good innings at 91, was still shooting at 89,and still using the gun he bought when he was thirty something.

but yes I will be filling my boots tomorrow in his memory.

Rip Stoney , Bloody Legend

After that, please just tell us that you'll be using his gun.

My condolences to you and yours.

53 minutes ago, Shooter1966 said:

Thanks for the kind words,yes his old bit of gas pipe as he called it will be coming with me tomorrow, i will try my upmost to make him proud when using it.

Hope you have a red letter day with the gas pipe  in his honour 

I've had good days on turnips,i expect to be called out to deal with pigeons on turnips very soon,2 farms i shoot on have just recently drilled turnips & as usual the pigeons will be on them as soon as they emerge through the surface,sadly for the farmers it's a losing battle,what the pigeons don't destroy the flea beetles will! 

Edit to offer my appologies & condolences to the OP,i just picked up on the thread heading yesterday & raced through it without picking up on the sad news,i should pay more attention sometimes... 😧,

Hope you have a good day with the gun.

Edited by 51/50