Shotgun cabinet upside-down

ElJay

Hi Everyone, 

Sorry if this topic has been done to death but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for searching the forum. I'm in the process of applying for my sgc and looking at gun cabinets. I want to mount it in the corner of a built in wardrobe. The only trouble is that it really needs to have the hinge on the left hand side to easily access it and this seems to not be the norm. I know Brattonsound will mount the door the other way around but want an extra £60 for it. I've read that some people have simply mounted the cabinet upside down which is what I'm leaning towards. This presumably means the foam dividers will be too low though? Has anyone on here mounted a cabinet upside down and if so what did you do about the dividers? Are they easy to remove and fix higher up? Are there any other problems with this option. 

All advice welcomed 

Thanks 

Only problems I can see is, I think (but not 100% sure) that the bottom of the cabinet is made from a thinner material, also there are holes for fixings that create another weak point.

Divider should be easy enough to remove and refix, just need a glue that will not eat the foam.

Edited by Newbie to this

I had my two cabinets bespoke made back in 1987. They stand side by side. One hinges on the left, one on the right. FWIW which is why I mentioned mine being bespoke made pay the £50 (or get a cabinet hinged on the left side from a maker that offers such) and be done with it. It saves ten times £50 worth of "faff" in the life of the thing.

Edited by enfieldspares

Thanks for all of the advice. Enfieldspares, this was the main thing holding me back as I'm not expecting to replace the cabinet so wondered if it would be better to pay the extra and have it done 'properly'. That being said, I've only found Brattonsound offering left hand hinges and they are over double the price of similar cabinets to begin with. I'm looking at https://www.ultimate-safe.co.uk/6-gun-safe-cabinet-extra-deep-with-ammo-box The nearest Brattonsound equivalent starts at £270 (though it does have double skinned door). 

I have a no name 3/4 gun cabinet and a brattonsound RT5 for scopes rifles. The Brattonsound is so much better made I would probably only got for them from now, but look for the RT7. The single key opening is worth it alone. Have you considered rotating to the opposite wall or corner? 

Also I find the foam inserts no good. I always take those out and make my own  from wood to hold the guns barrel down.

On 29/05/2020 at 14:20, London Best said:

I stand my shotguns with the stocks in the foam dividers anyway, to be muzzles down. If you invert your cabinet the guns will fit same as mine, but your’s will be muzzles up. What’s the difference?

Always store my guns  muzzle down ,machine oil rots woodwork and obviously leeches down from the action into the stock otherwise!