Tumbling media....

I am using walnut but not so impressed. The sonic cleaner makes them shiny and the walnut does little if anything to improve it. Plus I have to check each of the primer pockets to make sure there is none stuck in the case. I was wondering if stainless pins would be a better long term measure. 

Just now, oowee said:

I am using walnut but not so impressed. The sonic cleaner makes them shiny and the walnut does little if anything to improve it. Plus I have to check each of the primer pockets to make sure there is none stuck in the case. I was wondering if stainless pins would be a better long term measure. 

I asked if stainless steel pins could be used in a rotary tumbler, and was advised not to use them. Not sure why though.

Yeah I though about using the pins but as iv not heard about them being used I didnt try it....

Thanks all I will look into walnut/corn direct on the bay of evil rather than the specific media cleaner...

Thanks all 

would be interesting experimenting with different stuff to see what works the best......i wonder if you could pulverize bamboo and turn it into small pellets as bamboo contains a small ammount of silica.......................

I use stainless pins in my tumbler you have to look out for any sticking in brass I use a air line to clean the pins from the inside I had one that was missed when I fired the gun a 223 I had to tap the bolt out as it had locked up then get gun checked out to see if breech was ok 

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

would be interesting experimenting with different stuff to see what works the best......i wonder if you could pulverize bamboo and turn it into small pellets as bamboo contains a small ammount of silica.......................

I have tried adding various compounds to the media, vim, t cut, brasso, sand and so on. The sonic cleaner gives the best results so far.

2 minutes ago, snow white said:

I use stainless pins in my tumbler you have to look out for any sticking in brass I use a air line to clean the pins from the inside I had one that was missed when I fired the gun a 223 I had to tap the bolt out as it had locked up then get gun checked out to see if breech was ok 

Thats put me off straight away 🙂 

I use stainless pins in my rotary tumbler- not sure they would work in a vibratory version.

I havecthe frankford arsenal media separator which helps and keeps the pins for disappearing of down the plug hole.

Cant fault for their cleaning abilities, rags ding pins left in- I do a quick visual inspection before they go into the dryer.

No worse than bits of media stuck in primer flash holes when I had a Lyman1200

• 2 months later...
On 29/05/2020 at 17:02, mad1 said:

Afternoon all,

Can anyone recommend a tumbling media to use in my vibratory tumbler.

And also the best place to order it from.

Thanks all

M1

Check online for bags of crushed walnut shell and crushed corn cob used for pet bedding

Seriously pet bedding its the same stuff whaay cheaper than any gun shop

just repackaged and sold  by the likes of lyman ,rcbs ,hornady ,frankford arsenal .etc and over priced accordingly 

10 minutes ago, hafod said:

Check online for bags of crushed walnut shell and crushed corn cob used for pet bedding

Seriously pet bedding its the same stuff whaay cheaper than any gun shop

just repackaged and sold  by the likes of lyman ,rcbs ,hornady ,frankford arsenal .etc and over priced accordingly 

Same as drying your brass after placing it in the sonic cleaner

have you seen the price rcbs are asking for one of those round food dehydrators dressed up as a brass dryer 

An Andrew James dehydrator on evilbay will cost you about 25 quid

And  rcbs are charging about about 90 quid for basically the same thing any thing to do with shooting  goods or pharmacy grade stuff commands a premium price