Thermal Imager

TheTrooper

Hi all

I am currently looking at a thermal monocular to be used for mainly foxing, I would like to be able to see & ID a fox at about 500m, so that I can call it in to a nice shooting distance. I have been looking at the Pulsar XQ38F, but at 2 bags of sand, its a lot of money. Does anyone on here care to share any experience of the cheaper models that you would recommend for this use & distance?

Many Thanks

9 minutes ago, TheTrooper said:

Hi all

I am currently looking at a thermal monocular to be used for mainly foxing, I would like to be able to see & ID a fox at about 500m, so that I can call it in to a nice shooting distance. I have been looking at the Pulsar XQ38F, but at 2 bags of sand, its a lot of money. Does anyone on here care to share any experience of the cheaper models that you would recommend for this use & distance?

Many Thanks

Welcome to PW. I use one of the xq38's and have tried the smaller cheaper ones. They are all good. Practice and conditions makes a big big difference when you are using them. Badger, fox and hare can look very similar until you know what to look for and know how they move and look as a white shape. If I am not sure of something I will often swap to the digital NV to see what I am looking at. Digital with thermal os a good combination as they work in different ways and conditions. If you buy one you will get the best price of Blackwood Outdoors. I have had mine for a few years so I am looking to renew it and will get another from him. 

I looked at the xp38f and bought the xp50f

reason being while I could see an object at long range with the 38 I could identify it with the 50

try and get someone else or more to form a group buy and get a cheaper price, mclouds of tain gave a very good price.

but I bought from Melbourne Rod and gun with a friend for £10 more because it’s 10 minutes drive away 

Xm 30 s is  nice sized mid range thermal at around £1600. What I don't like is the battery life. 

I'm using an Hti, imported from China for around £800, the screen isn't quite as good, but the battery lasts 5 hours straight, I can easily see a fox coming in by movement at 400 yards plus. 

If you want to be able to poz ID a fox at 500 yards, you need to be spending £4k at least. 

• 2 weeks later...

i am using a ATN Mars 2 -5- 25 as a spotter it was £6ooo when new it is a scope but i couldn't get on with it so i use it as a spotter now and shoot with an Archer great combination and the distance you are talking about 500 meters unless you are used to it you won't recognize it