A day on the peas.

muncher

I went a different way to work for a change and noticed a field of peas I can shoot with a lot of pigeons down feeding hard. I contacted the farmer and checked it was ok to have a go due to the fact it's close to a main road and had a house on the other side. He was happy for me to have a go and said his boys had been having a go. This normally worries me as all that generally happens is they educate them. I thought it prudent to speak the people in the house as I would be quite close. I went to cross a bank of nettles to get to the house as I took a step into them I disappeared into a deep trench I hadn't seen fell into some dyke nettles and was severely stung all up one arm. I went to the couple in the house   they were more than okay with me shooting and found it funny I was stung all over.I set up with the wind coming over my left shoulder looking down the field with the main road on my left about 60 yards away. The rotary was placed in front and too my right to try and channel the birds down that side to keep them away from the road. I started at 10 ,but that was probably two hours too early as I only had a trickle of birds come in but they did come down the side I needed. I put birds on cradles as I got them and this helped keep them down the channel. I had a fireman come and see me for a chat, he lives shooting, he even brought me a bottle of water. I shot until 5 and packed up with 152 and 2 ferals. I have  sunburn on my face an arm's.

IMG-20200529-171522220.jpg

for the last few years pigeons havnt been the least bit interested in peas around here.........about 8 years ago i could safely shoot peas 3 times a week and bag 30-50 everytime...but now you are lucky to put a dozen up on and pea field around here........

those fresh stinging nettles burn dont they ?.............try putting vinegar on the stings...

busy day well done :good:

9 minutes ago, ditchman said:

for the last few years pigeons havnt been the least bit interested in peas around here.........about 8 years ago i could safely shoot peas 3 times a week and bag 30-50 everytime...but now you are lucky to put a dozen up on and pea field around here........

those fresh stinging nettles burn dont they ?.............try putting vinegar on the stings...

busy day well done :good:

I had blisters the size of 50 pence piece all up my arm, burned all night.😭

Edited by muncher

Well done, nice reward for your discomfort. 

As with aga man, we are seeing very little movement until late afternoon.  Shooting on some spring rape a couple of days ago, the birds seemed most active between 5 and 7.30.The peas are also a bit slow getting going with a few birds on each field but nothing to get too excited about.

‘Work?’ Have you got time for such mundane matters when there are pigeons a plenty in your part of the world? Obviously not. Several of us on the forum would gladly suffer a few nettle stings and sun burn for such a reward.

Well done muncher 👍

I was out on Wednesday afternoon on peas.  A much "smaller" do than yours, but nice to be out again.

Had all my dead birds out as decoys and was pleased to see none were fly-blown when I picked-up - and I then realised I had not seen anything buzzing about all afternoon .

I guess this may be due to the very dry air / ground at the mo, but I have certainly had to sack pigeons during the day at this time of year previously.

18 minutes ago, JDog said:

‘Work?’ Have you got time for such mundane matters when there are pigeons a plenty in your part of the world? Obviously not. Several of us on the forum would gladly suffer a few nettle stings and sun burn for such a reward.

I have fields  stacking up at the moment, I took a friend out Thursday in some mustard,I expected a good day and to be fair it was a nice afternoon with 50 in the bag. I am out later with the Mottster!

16 minutes ago, muncher said:

I have fields  stacking up at the moment, I took a friend out Thursday in some mustard,I expected a good day and to be fair it was a nice afternoon with 50 in the bag. I am out later with the Mottster!

tell him to be careful of the stingers when wearing his Hawian shorts...

36 minutes ago, muncher said:

Another bag from the top drawer muncher , very envious and you are constantly proving there is no shortage of pigeons in your area , down here it's a slightly different tale with only a sprinkling of pigeons now started to work on the Peas , our Peas are now breaking out in flower on land that is becoming rock hard and had very little rain since the day they were drilled , with very little rain on the horizon I cant see this years Pea campaign breaking any records .

Good luck later with your team mate .

iv'e got old machinery lying around amongst the nettles where I shoot , he had a bonfire the other day  in one part where all the nettles got burnt , it looked like steptoes  scrap yard , you were lucky there wasn't anything in that ditch to fall on , you will know next time , anyway well done. I bet you are glad you went another route.