Big tree identity

Old farrier

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That is not easy as there are a number of VERY similiar looking firs.  One would you believe called King Boris's fir which looks similar, plus the red cedars and of course the Lawsonia Cypress.   It does have the look of a cypress of one sort or another but at that distance and not seeing the bark and foliage I would not bet my life on it. Handsom tree whatever.

19 minutes ago, Blackpowder said:

Is that  also called the Wellingtonia, the one with the soft bark?

Blackpowder

Yeah, it's the Giant Sequoia. The name 'Wellingtonia' refers to the tree's first scientific name Wellingtonia gigantea, which was then rejected as there was already something with the genus Wellingtonia that was completely unrelated. It then became Sequoia gigantea, but that was also already taken, as was Washingtonia californica. They finally nailed it in 1939 with  Sequoiadendron giganteum, just the 83 years to work out what its name should be then!

chrisjpainter,

Thank you for your very informative answer .

Wellingtonia ! Where is the origin of that name please?

Here in Wellington Shropshire an ancient market town we have a National Trust property with a fine display of similar trees all the way down the drive .

Edited by Salopian
spelling error

2 hours ago, Salopian said:

chrisjpainter,

Thank you for your very informative answer .

Wellingtonia ! Where is the origin of that name please?

Here in Wellington Shropshire an ancient market town we have a National Trust property with a fine display of similar trees all the way down the drive .

Huh. that's gonna take some diggin'. I have no idea! I Shall endeavour to find out. Watch this space...

5 minutes ago, Salopian said:

Thank You Chris.

So, the first time it was given scientific credence was in 1853 by English botanist John Lindley. He named it after The Duke of Wellington, who'd died the previous year. Unfortunately, unbeknown to him that genus already existed for a tropical genus of flowering plants completely unrelated to the sequoias, so it couldn't remain the scientific name. However the name still hangs on in England because of its historical connection To both the Duke and Lindley.