Berretta A303 stock shims

retromlc

The shims for the pre 391 Beretta auto's will only alter drop and NOT cast. You could try getting someone to make a shim that would fit, but I would look towards one of the neoprene stock covers and put a slip of closed cell foam over the comb, under the neoprene. I have an early 300 series gun that has a home made spacer in it. It came with it in, I shot it well, so left it there. I use it as a rough knockabout gun, to preserve my 303.

There was a site selling beretta shims made to order in the USA I was looking for more cast off myself , so I bought a 2nd set of shims and modified the one I needed myself by filing away one side - I needed more cast off so it was the right side of the shim that was sanded , re fitted tested on a few boxes at 35 - 50 yds , need a touch more took it out sanded again and though I say it myself I have had quite a season just gone bye. .

Tip , if you cannot find any spare shims get a piece of plastic , say a bottle or a large detergent container , remove your butt plate , trace out the stock size cut out a few templates and then cut that back to push the gun in the direction you want , if you put it all in there you have only increased the LOP very slightly , you can insert more than one piece and if you wish slip a piece in by the shim , yes I have tried all these things , it worked for me . If I find a link for the shims I will post it . good luck.

In work we would make tapered shims with what we called "liquid shim". An old work colleague shoots Beretta 300 series guns and he used to use our stuff in work to make shims for his mates guns. I'm not sure if it's for sale to the general public but the stuff we use is called loctite 9394. The method would be to use a mould release tape on your stock and receiver and something like beeswax or some other release agent on your stock bolt so you don't accidentally glue them together(stuff sticks like excrement to a blanket), apply the stuff to the end of both parts and put them together, you could either put a small spacer in one side to cast it over when you tighten the stock on again or don't tighten it up fully and have something to hold the cast that you want until it cures. Once cured it's basically a moulded plastic shim that you can shape as you wish.

If you cannot get that loctite stuff I reckon something like JB weld would maybe work out ok. We also have laminated plastic shim that you cut to size and then peel off in 0.005" layers until you get the desired thickness and you can taper these in small sections too. Unfortunately I'm furloughed so can't pinch any scraps to send you at this time.

On 30/05/2020 at 17:23, retromlc said:

I need to get more R/H cast, are there shims available to achieve this, I can find anything on d tinternet

• 2 weeks later...