Clay shooting gloves..?

gamekeeper1960

On 02/06/2020 at 19:05, Westley said:

It does pay to know EXACTLY what size you require if using mail order. I already know what size I need in Macwets, but I visit several golf shops trying various pairs until I find the best fit for winter gloves.

Cheers Westley point taken. ..👍

I'm also a MacWet wearer. I cannot fault them in all but extreme cold weather. During the colder months I wear Sealskinz.

Before MacWets, I wore cycling gloves. They give plenty of grip whilst being nice and thin.

For those asking why we wear gloves all year round, I like the extra grip they provide and the protection against hot barrels (on occasions I will share a gun). It also now seems to be part of my mental preparation. Once my ear defenders, glasses and gloves are on I zone into my shooting mindset.

1 hour ago, LeedsZeppelin said:

I'm also a MacWet wearer. I cannot fault them in all but extreme cold weather. During the colder months I wear Sealskinz.

Before MacWets, I wore cycling gloves. They give plenty of grip whilst being nice and thin.

For those asking why we wear gloves all year round, I like the extra grip they provide and the protection against hot barrels (on occasions I will share a gun). It also now seems to be part of my mental preparation. Once my ear defenders, glasses and gloves are on I zone into my shooting mindset.

I totally agree Leeds I wear gloves because I want too not because others don't. ..! 

Macwets for me. I have green for the season and black for clay shooting. Sim days and sxs shooting I want gloves. I have sensitive little paws to protect. I wouldn't rely on them to keep you warm in serious cold but they work for a drive or a stand. Don't get them wet, they fall apart at the seams. 

1 hour ago, ehb102 said:

Macwets for me. I have green for the season and black for clay shooting. Sim days and sxs shooting I want gloves. I have sensitive little paws to protect. I wouldn't rely on them to keep you warm in serious cold but they work for a drive or a stand. Don't get them wet, they fall apart at the seams. 

I don't actually want to keep my hands warm its just grip...

13 minutes ago, ehb102 said:

Well, I like them. Buy them tight as they do loosen a little. 

+1

I brought mine half a size under what I needed and they fit a dream, the missus brought ones that fitted her there and then and now she has extra material at the finger tips.

8 hours ago, Farmboy91 said:

+1

I brought mine half a size under what I needed and they fit a dream, the missus brought ones that fitted her there and then and now she has extra material at the finger tips.

I know what you mean my good lady is a seamstress and had to shorten the fingers on my browning claybuster gloves for the same reason. ..and to be honest I'd have another pair but they stopped making them which is a shame. .

They do other products in the USA but we can't get get them over here ...I've spoken to the Browning themselfs about importing they're range of products over in the UK but all I get is we aren't licenced to sell them over here ..which I muse say seems a little short sighted of them as I'm sure they would find a good market. ..

3 minutes ago, gamekeeper1960 said:

I know what you mean my good lady is a seamstress and had to shorten the fingers on my browning claybuster gloves for the same reason. ..and to be honest I'd have another pair but they stopped making them which is a shame. .

They do other products in the USA but we can't get get them over here ...I've spoken to the Browning themselfs about importing they're range of products over in the UK but all I get is we aren't licenced to sell them over here ..which I muse say seems a little short sighted of them as I'm sure they would find a good market. ..

Yeah that goes right across the board for shooting, I'd love a sunburst pad for my pump but they won't post. Shame really, I'd say it's their loss but it's ours too.

I've had Mac Wets for nearly 2 years of guess but they haven't seen any use for the last year. I have washed them a few times, by hand then left to dry naturally and they have held up well. Wouldn't hesitate to buy another pair.

1 hour ago, Farmboy91 said:

Yeah that goes right across the board for shooting, I'd love a sunburst pad for my pump but they won't post. Shame really, I'd say it's their loss but it's ours too.

I've had Mac Wets for nearly 2 years of guess but they haven't seen any use for the last year. I have washed them a few times, by hand then left to dry naturally and they have held up well. Wouldn't hesitate to buy another pair.

Thanks Farmboy I'm going to have a try with some different types. .But thanksfor youreally comment. ..

On 05/06/2020 at 20:19, gamekeeper1960 said:

Will do. ..👍

Well I got a very pleasant surprise this morning, my good lady who is very accomplished seamstress has actually replaced the worn out finger on my browning claybuster with a piece of suede leather which was part of a reinforced palm from another of her gloves ...

(This all took place while I was checking my eye lids for wholes)

Used them this morning to good effect on a very wet 100 sporting worked a treat ..Great to to be able to wear the them its like a favourite pair of slippers...so to my special lady thank you very much x 

20200607_214903.jpg

Edited by gamekeeper1960

6 hours ago, Smokersmith said:

With the hand sanitizer on each stand … grip is no longer an issue …

Seems to provide a nice tacky finish !!!

I know what you mean... the only thing is by the time this pandemic is finished I'll have to be booking my hands in for a session at alcoholic anonymous 😂...

On 08/06/2020 at 16:00, Smokersmith said:

With the hand sanitizer on each stand … grip is no longer an issue …

Seems to provide a nice tacky finish !!!

Having seen a dripping hand sanitiser take away varnish and eat into a wooden surface at work, as well as having some clothes recently bleached with hand sanitiser, I'd be careful of letting it get near the metal and woodwork of your gun.

I'm not using the hand sanitiser whilst shooting, but using gloves and common sense instead. I'll then sanitise my hands after the gun has gone away immediately after the round.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Masmiffy, I have got things sorted for now  I also bought a couple of pairs of equestrian gloves as well from Rider Trends. have been wearing a pair of them for the last few weeks and they seem really good not to thick and a half decent grippy palm. .. and at less than a fiver a pair I'm well chuffed ....