Hatching an egg

WalkedUp

Out for a 5 hour walk yesterday with my brood (5,3,1) and they found this egg on the floor on a footpath all alone and so decided to rescue it. I believe it to be a pheasant egg. They want to hatch it, none of my pals have an incubator to spare due to supply issues of birds for shoots and so I thought I would ask - any idea/possibility of incubating it? If not I will make a “nest” in the field and suggest we leave it there for a pheasant to find and look after it. 

CE519465-2D1C-4CD9-8792-8B0396038C9E.jpeg

10 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

Out for a 5 hour walk yesterday with my brood (5,3,1) and they found this egg on the floor on a footpath all alone and so decided to rescue it. I believe it to be a pheasant egg. They want to hatch it, none of my pals have an incubator to spare due to supply issues of birds for shoots and so I thought I would ask - any idea/possibility of incubating it? If not I will make a “nest” in the field and suggest we leave it there for a pheasant to find and look after it. 

CE519465-2D1C-4CD9-8792-8B0396038C9E.jpeg

Anyone with broody hens/bantams local to you ?

If you wash the egg, make sure you use warm water,........cold water washing can draw bacteria through the shell pores.

Eggs need to incubated at around 38c, a birds body is normally about 40c,....that's why they have a brood patch to adjust temperature.

3 hours ago, twenty said:

Anyone with broody hens/bantams local to you ?

If you wash the egg, make sure you use warm water,........cold water washing can draw bacteria through the shell pores.

Eggs need to incubated at around 38c, a birds body is normally about 40c,....that's why they have a brood patch to adjust temperature.

You’ll also need to turn it twice a day.. No need to wash it though is there? 

10 hours ago, ShootingEgg said:

You’ll also need to turn it twice a day.. No need to wash it though is there? 

Not really, it wouldn't be washed if incubated naturally, but if incubating in your home, it may be a consideration.

Commercial pheasant producers wash the eggs before putting them in the incubators, at this stage they also discard any that are cracked, undersized (runt), misshapen, discoloured or generally below standard. 

Turning twice a day is only required for the first 4-5 days, the developing chick then needs to be left in the same position, (upwards inside the shell, at the top of the egg), this then gives maximum heat to the chick in incubation, and allows it to hatch upright, and not Face down as it were, in the nest.

All the best

Edited by twenty

Don't wash it unless you have the correct products as washing allows bacteria to enter the egg 

Put it in a box with sawdust or tissue and a incandescent lightbulb as a heater. Keep turning the egg and candle it to see if the chick is growing.

Should be plenty online on how to do it.

Edited by figgy

Late 70's, My mate who was very daft, found an abandoned Teal nest and decided to put them in his dads brand new incubator. 

He cared for them with due diligence and imagine his delight when all hatched.

A lovely clutch of Moorhens !

Edited by Robertt

6 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

Thanks for all the help. The egg has started to ooze so it’s bad. Going to have to persuade the boys to put it back in a nest outside for the pheasants to look after. 

Have a look on ebay you can pick up half a dozen pheasant eggs for about a tenner. 

5 hours ago, PPP said:

I like this idea, would a diy incubator work?

Yeah it would, you could pick up 6 egg incubator for £20-£30 on line.

But be aware it will be abouta 23 day incubation......then day old to poult, about 8/9 weeks.....before they start to take on independence.

You will need Chick crumb, micro pellet, mini pellet, and then growers pellet to bring them on............then release pellet.

25 minutes ago, twenty said:

Yeah it would, you could pick up 6 egg incubator for £20-£30 on line.

But be aware it will be abouta 23 day incubation......then day old to poult, about 8/9 weeks.....before they start to take on independence.

You will need Chick crumb, micro pellet, mini pellet, and then growers pellet to bring them on............then release pellet.

and then finally  28gr of No 6 pellets !