Demonstrations in london

TRINITY

26 minutes ago, SpringDon said:

I’d thought that rhetorical but I suppose they feel that they want to show they “care” and sometimes, for the really big stuff, an emoji on twitter doesn’t quite cut it.

:good:I did get the rhetorical bit, but thought I would ask anyway.

It's seems from your (I guess) sarcastic "care" that we are in agreement, it has zero to do with what happened in America.

Certain people, like antifa, the gullible and others who like to use the word 'activist' to hide their true criminal activity amongst others, will riot at the drop of a hat, to bring pressure on a government they don't like or just to have an excuse to be lawless.

How can having violent clashes with the police in the UK have anthing to do with a person killed by an American police officer. It can't, it's just an excuse. 

I just wish we would have a harder approach to unlawful 'protesting' here in the UK.

Edited by Newbie to this

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

I think the race thing is particularly sensitive because it's so indiscriminate. When Noah mentioned the Amy Cooper incident, I found the link and watched it. And then I could see where he was coming from. OK, admittedly Cooper doesn't seem the full shilling, but nonetheless what she did demonstrated an automatic and often unspoken hierarchy in (particularly American) society that exists regardless of any other factor. When you say homeless people are discriminated against, or are bullied by the police, that's undeniable too. Even worse for the homeless with mental problems. Just look at the horrific torturing to death of Kelly Thomas, and how the cops were found not guilty of a filmed killing

But I think the difference is that the discrimination stops with the homeless or the mental part. It's not such a blanket thing.  In the Cooper video though, a middle class white woman has a dispute with a middle class black man, and straight away she reaches for a weapon (the police) whom she knows will almost certainly take her side. And what's more, as Noah says, she knows exactly what she's doing. And what she did laid bare everyone's relationship with each other -herself, the police, the birdwatcher - and how it's almost taken for granted within society. I'd never thought of it like that before, and I"d never really  looked at if from that perspective. And why would I? It doesn't negatively affect me. BUT, now that I've had it explained to me I can see how it affects every single black person. No matter if you're middle class, plant stuff in the park, sit on committees for the park, and go about your hobby lawfully, if you come into conflict with a white person of the same socio-economic strata, they can sic the police onto you in a manner that likely endangers your life. And if he hadn't managed to capture the whole thing on video, he's of probably been arrested.

So it's a bit different to homeless people or the mentally ill. It's far broader. I think that's the point he was trying to get across.

I see where you’re coming from (man) and I suppose without racism, Cooper would not have mentioned colour in calling the police. However, she seemed to be a horrible person and are you absolutely sure , in these current #metoo times, that the police would not have attended anyway. I think he would been in trouble without the film.

But I do agree that the presumption that colour mattered is troubling. (BTW I’m amazed the man was so forgiving, I think I would have demanded the ghastly woman was arrested).

i suppose I trying to say that inequalities exist that are a superset of race and that should be addressed first.

2 hours ago, Retsdon said:

And they you pop up and gratuitously call him a knob - probably because you imagine he's saying something you disagree with. If you don't want to listen to what has to say, fine. But why the name calling?

I disagree with him, I think the contract idea is both inaccurate , and a red herring designed to deflect away from the issue, how many riots are there when white people are murdered by police, minorities ?
Where is THEIR contract ?
Equality means EVERYONE has equal rights , you cant even talk about racism , or preach equality , when you are a hypocrite that doesnt practice it yourself.

Noah is the liberals darling in the US , and has been richly rewarded for anti Trump and anti Republican views , how much of his fortune has been spent on fighting the injustices he has profited so well out of ?

Trevor Noah Net Worth:
$40 Million

Trevor Noah's Salary

$8 Million

1 hour ago, Newbie to this said:

OK,

What have the 'protests' in London got to do with a crime in America?

Because it is getting systemic here too. A friend posted this earlier today:

...2 medical professionals who attend the same church here in Scotland. Being key workers they have had to travel during the lockdown, one is black and has been stopped by the police 12 times, the other is white and has not been stopped at all.

I imagine it would be much worse in Brum or London?

8 minutes ago, henry d said:

I imagine it would be much worse in Brum or London?

I know ONE person who has been pulled over, ONE .
And hes white, it was 11 pm and he was going to a perm.(BTW  all my friends arent white if thats what youre thinking 😄)

If the person in henrys question was driving, how on earth could the police know their ethnicity ? :|

7 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

What is, Police officers kneeling on peoples throats until they are dead :hmm:

I've not seen that on the news.

No , cos henrys church friend up in the wilds of Scotland got pulled over 12 times, (allegedly) so its 'systemic' now 😄

Must admit I'm baffled by what's going on, the country is supposed to be in a crisis,  most not at work for fear of catching Covid19, we can't shake hands, supposed to be keeping 2m from people yet there are violent demonstrations going on?

2 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Must admit I'm baffled by what's going on, the country is supposed to be in a crisis,  most not at work for fear of catching Covid19, we can't shake hands, supposed to be keeping 2m from people yet there are violent demonstrations going on?

I just feel sorry for the Police that have to deal with our misguided fools!

7 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

No , cos henrys church friend up in the wilds of Scotland got pulled over 12 times, (allegedly) so its 'systemic' now 😄

I still don't see how someone being stopped by the police, has anything to do with someone being killed by an American police officer.

Just the same as I can't see what violent riots in London have anything to do with with it either.

It's just an excuse for 'activist' to cause trouble.

Edited by Newbie to this

1 minute ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I just feel sorry for the Police that have to deal with our misguided fools!

I've just avoided the news really for the last few weeks, just caught the odd bit.

3 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

That's probably spot on, apparently there are demos planned for Blackpool this weekend?? So more people meeting up in an area with a high number of new cases??????? Probably other areas as well?

I'm guessing that the Covid crisis is over, stop the demos, fine everyone that turns up, better still tell them they will have their phones confiscated, impose a travel restriction under the Covid laws, it really is a wee take.

16 minutes ago, Mice! said:

I've just avoided the news really for the last few weeks, just caught the odd bit.

That's probably spot on, apparently there are demos planned for Blackpool this weekend?? So more people meeting up in an area with a high number of new cases??????? Probably other areas as well?

I'm guessing that the Covid crisis is over, stop the demos, fine everyone that turns up, better still tell them they will have their phones confiscated, impose a travel restriction under the Covid laws, it really is a wee take.

I'll go with that, I know its FB but everything on there can't be false - though some might poo poo it just because its easy to share on there.

EDIT: And they're seemingly too thick to realise that Black Lives Matter with Covid deaths too. 

Edited by Dave-G

1 hour ago, Yellow Bear said:

From personal experience you are more likely to be pulled over if you are white in many parts of Brum

In some parts of Brum the police will search you to see if you have a knife or a gun and if you haven't they will lend you one to get home.

1 hour ago, Dave-G said:

I'll go with that, I know its FB but everything on there can't be false - though some might poo poo it just because its easy to share on there.

EDIT: And they're seemingly too thick to realise that Black Lives Matter with Covid deaths too. 

Thats on the nail in my opinion 👍

2 hours ago, Newbie to this said:

I still don't see how someone being stopped by the police, has anything to do with someone being killed by an American police officer.

Just the same as I can't see what violent riots in London have anything to do with with it either.

Maybe you need to open your eyes and look at the world around you from another viewpoint. What have actavists causing trouble to do with the protestors peacefully presenting the world of fear that they live in? 

4 minutes ago, oowee said:

Maybe you need to open your eyes and look at the world around you from another viewpoint. What have actavists causing trouble to do with the protestors peacefully presenting the world of fear that they live in? 

World of fear?...I presume you mean the US and not the UK.

38 minutes ago, oowee said:

Don't think I do, I see the world just fine.

If the protests were peaceful, I would not care. 

But they are not! That is clear to anyone who cares to look.

It seems that every protest that happens now, turns violent. Many probably start out as peaceful demonstrations, but get 'hijacked' by these criminals, that call themselves activists.

Maybe you should heed your own advice.

Edited by Newbie to this

I was reading an article on the bbc website which has the facts and figures for the uk deaths in custody for the last 10 years. 

“ Of those arrested, 79% were white and 85% of those who died in custody were white.

Meanwhile, 9% of people arrested were black (which is disproportionally high) and 8% of those who died in custody were black.

So, over the last 10 years, a white individual who has been arrested was about 25% more likely to die in custody than a black individual who had been arrested.”

So while being black means percentage wise you stand more of a chance of getting arrested however being white you stand more of a chance of dying in custody. 

This is the issue I have with black lives  matter protesters in the UK it should be all lives matter as white lives are 25% more likely to die in custody over here than any other race.  But they don’t seem to see the fact that black lives are statistically safer in custody than white lives but why let facts get in the way of a good protest  

Just now, timps said:

I was reading an article on the bbc website which has the facts and figures for the uk deaths in custody for the last 10 years. 

“ Of those arrested, 79% were white and 85% of those who died in custody were white.

Meanwhile, 9% of people arrested were black (which is disproportionally high) and 8% of those who died in custody were black.

So, over the last 10 years, a white individual who has been arrested was about 25% more likely to die in custody than a black individual who had been arrested.”

So while being black means percentage wise you stand more of a chance of getting arrested however being white you stand more of a chance of dying in custody. 

This is the issue I have with black lives  matter protesters in the UK it should be all lives matter as white lives are 25% more likely to die in custody over here than any other race.  But they don’t seem to see the fact that black lives are statistically safer in custody than white lives but why let facts get in the way of a good protest  

ALL lives MATTER!

3 hours ago, Newbie to this said:

Yeah, normally I would not see this tosh fom rewulf, but since you put it up it goes to show how he distorts things;

1. Not my friends, friends of someone I know very well and he is a director of an NGO as well as teaching ethics at uni, so is hardly likely to lie.
  2. Not the wilds of Scotland, the central belt which is a larger area and greater population than tyneside.
  3. This and the incessant PM`s about 9/11 and other conspiracies are the reason I blocked you, so please don`t reply directly to me and my posts as it is as good as farting against a thunderstorm, cheers!

2 minutes ago, henry d said:

Yeah, normally I would not see this tosh fom rewulf

Then you are truly blessed today 😏

3 minutes ago, henry d said:

This and the incessant PM`s about 9/11 and other conspiracies are the reason I blocked you

Incessant PMs ? ONE PM , 2 years ago , constitutes incessant  ? :lol: Now whos twisting it ?

4 minutes ago, henry d said:

don`t reply directly to me and my posts as it is as good as farting against a thunderstorm

I find it the best way for the effect to travel 😄

Cheers !