Demonstrations in london

TRINITY

7 hours ago, AVB said:

The chief Copper in Bristol said that they made the right decision in not stopping the protestors from toppling the statue and would make the same decision again. Unfortunately it sends the message that vandalism is justified in the name of protesting against racism.

I don't know the factors that led to that decision on that occasion, but leaving people to vandalise property is not a policy I can support in the longer term ........ and may lead to greater violence if, as threatened, the Tommy Robinson thugs pitch in.  It needs tacking by the proper authorities NOW, not allowed to continue to greater unrest.

Peaceful protest within current laws - OK (but very unwise under present conditions), violence, damage/destruction to property, looting - NO - NEVER.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, NoBodyImportant said:

There is a really good movie about the 54th and their disastrous charge of Fort Wagner.  The fort was only able to be attacked from a open sandy beach. The blacks in first to absorb the cannon fire.    

It’s called Glory if you are interested 

Seen it. Good film. 👍
Denzel Washington and Matthew Broderick if I recall. 

Edited by Scully

1 hour ago, JohnfromUK said:

I don't know the factors that led to that decision on that occasion, but leaving people to vandalise property is not a policy I can support in the longer term ........ and may lead to greater violence if, as threatened, the Tommy Robinson thugs pitch in.  It needs tacking by the proper authorities NOW, not allowed to continue to greater unrest.

Peaceful protest within current laws - OK (but very unwise under present conditions), violence, damage/destruction to property, looting - NO - NEVER.

20200608_073528.jpg.ba4315d1bef62ec90e6f03897168199f.jpg

This is how a protest should look, peaceful,  it was the same in Lancaster,  if people want to join in carry on, they should be allowed to express their opinions.

What went on in other places had nothing to do with the BLM protest.

If there are more protests planned I hope they put the army on the streets, let's see people attack war memorials with the Armed forces waiting.

It shouldn't be necessary but that's the way its going. 

Before Covid 19 hit there were riots going on all over, it all stopped through fear of the virus, it seems that's passed now.

18 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

They may well have believed "in racial inequality and discrimination" and its elimination.  But they were mainly there for a 'demonstration' - causing trouble, having a day out leading to a riot, property damaged, police injured, - it is what they do in all cases.  The cause isn't important to them - its the demonstration that matters.

The TRUTH is that to any right thinking person - ALL lives matter - equally.  They are 'demonstrating about '(Black) Lives Matter'  ......... and putting lives including many black lives at risk.  The people who are behind this very clearly don't give much about 'lives mattering' or they wouldn't be there.  Their actions will not save a single life - but may cost several.

As you have said about these demos

Everyone knew that was the case - and the responsible life saving thing (if you really want to save lives) was to avoid it and stay away.

Well, I certainly agree on the point about All Lives Matter - I have been expounding this point with a number of my friends over the past week or so, with varying degrees of failure.

I guess we don't yet have the data to know either way the extent to which these kind of gatherings influence the R number locally or nationally.

18 hours ago, Mice! said:

Last week or the week before the Bame lot were speaking out how Covid 19 affects them more and needed to be investigated?? The whole thing is new and unknown. 

So how is it a good idea to go and meet up thousands strong, start some rioting??

I agree with John, they just turned up for a laugh, to stick two fingers up at the government,  even though in a few weeks time the hospital admissions could be through the roof, not only that where did all these people travel from? Let's go on a jolly and help spread the virus, absolute muppets the lot of them.

I'd love to know how many people there were on benefits or on the Furlough scheme,  it would be great if using mobile phone technology the individuals there could be identified and have all payments stopped.

We can't go to a relative's house, weddings are cancelled,  businesses are going to close, the country is effectively at a standstill waiting to see when we can get back to normal,  but this lot think it's fine to meet up, riot then go home, probably extending the problems the country is facing. 

Honestly it boils my $$$$

The "Bame lot" - really?

You can go to a relative house.

The Bristol police made a good call, they showed the violence of the protestors, the vandalism of the protestors whilst keeping restrained. If the police had have reacted how I would have wanted them to react the front pages would have been about police heavy handedness or brutality. The violence of the protestors is counterproductive to their goal. Next protest the protest organisers need to keep control and take responsibility, no violence no vandalism. There is no moral ground over breaking the lockdown, the stupidity of our leaders has ensured that it is morally down to individual discretion.  

18 minutes ago, Mice! said:

20200608_073528.jpg.ba4315d1bef62ec90e6f03897168199f.jpg

This is how a protest should look, peaceful,  it was the same in Lancaster,  if people want to join in carry on, they should be allowed to express their opinions.

What went on in other places had nothing to do with the BLM protest.

If there are more protests planned I hope they put the army on the streets, let's see people attack war memorials with the Armed forces waiting.

It shouldn't be necessary but that's the way its going. 

Before Covid 19 hit there were riots going on all over, it all stopped through fear of the virus, it seems that's passed now.

I very much agree ......... to a point, but I'm reluctant to employ the Army.  They are neither trained nor experienced at this sort of thing, and it is a slippery slope.  If it has to be done - it will have my support, but it's not what I want to see.

9 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

It needs to be done by the Authorities - not either well intentioned peaceful people - or another mob of thugs (as Robinson's will be).  If the Police have insufficient resources to keep the peace, then reinforcements must be brought in. 

Another mob of thugs will just make things worse.

This, 100%.

1 hour ago, Penelope said:

Black lives matter except when they are shooting and stabbing each other over drug turf, postcodes, trainers, etc, etc.

You don't see the 'community' protesting over that!

Get you own house in order!!!!!!!

Totally agree, only this will never be said by any media.

17 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

Well, I certainly agree on the point about All Lives Matter - I have been expounding this point with a number of my friends over the past week or so, with varying degrees of failure.

I guess we don't yet have the data to know either way the extent to which these kind of gatherings influence the R number locally or nationally.

The "Bame lot" - really?

You can go to a relative house.

That is what was all over the news, how the virus is affecting those from Bame backgrounds more and needs to be looked into, as if white doctors and nurses aren't being affected,  this virus doesn't care which colour or ethnicity it effects, it's all cheap point scoring politics.

And no we can't go to a relative's house,  we can go and sit in the garden,  but if it pours down or the wind gets up we can't all pile into the house can we?

His thugs turned up in Liverpool and got kicked out.

13 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

This, 100%.

Stephen Yaxley Lennon is a disgusting scum bag criminal. I disagree with everything he says. One of my friends forwarded a video he had been sent of SYL accosting a police traffic enforcement officer during lockdown. The idiocy of the man was unbelievable. He stated that only doctors and nurses are on the road (and him which he didn’t deign to go into), how does that make a difference? If a child is run over by a car driven by a doctor do they not bleed or die. The man is an embarrassment. 

13 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

I very much agree ......... to a point, but I'm reluctant to employ the Army.  They are neither trained nor experienced at this sort of thing, and it is a slippery slope.  If it has to be done - it will have my support, but it's not what I want to see.

I agree it's a very slippery slope, but there needs to be a line drawn, the idea of standing back so as to not make the situation worse can't go on.

The army might not be trained for it but I'm sure they would be happy to stand in front of the Cenotaph and such monuments,  I just hope if it comes to that they aren't shackled. 

The optics of having the army on the street to deal with a handful of thugs is bad. Public opinion is against BLM UK protests now, that will be enough. There will be no more vandalism without police intervention as the police have demonstrated what happens if they don’t act, giving them justification to act sooner and harder. 

7 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

Public opinion is against BLM UK protests now, that will be enough.

I hope you are right - but don't share your confidence.

8 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

There will be no more vandalism without police intervention

Don't understand this bit?

8 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

the police have demonstrated what happens if they don’t act, giving them justification to act sooner and harder.

Personally IF violence of riot/damage/vandalism is likely - the police NEED to act sooner and harder.

Just now, JohnfromUK said:

Don't understand this bit?

I don’t believe (purely my opinion) that there will be Police inaction in the face of similar vandalism. They destroyed a Grade II listed monument, criminal damage. Priti Patel has made clear her thoughts. 

1 minute ago, WalkedUp said:

His thugs turned up in Liverpool and got kicked out.

Stephen Yaxley Lennon is a disgusting scum bag criminal. I disagree with everything he says. One of my friends forwarded a video he had been sent of SYL accosting a police traffic enforcement officer during lockdown. The idiocy of the man was unbelievable. He stated that only doctors and nurses are on the road (and him which he didn’t deign to go into), how does that make a difference? If a child is run over by a car driven by a doctor do they not bleed or die. The man is an embarrassment. 

Substitute idiocy with arrogance and hypocrisy and I'm 100% aligned. Unfortunately I think the guy is far from being an idiot.

Just now, WalkedUp said:

I don’t believe (purely my opinion) that there will be Police inaction in the face of similar vandalism. They destroyed a Grade II listed monument, criminal damage. Priti Patel has made clear her thoughts. 

OK, I understand and agree 👍

6 minutes ago, Mice! said:

That is what was all over the news, how the virus is affecting those from Bame backgrounds more and needs to be looked into, as if white doctors and nurses aren't being affected,  this virus doesn't care which colour or ethnicity it effects, it's all cheap point scoring politics.

And no we can't go to a relative's house,  we can go and sit in the garden,  but if it pours down or the wind gets up we can't all pile into the house can we?

I guess you missed my point on the BAME comment, but no biggie.

The other point relates to common sense.

BLM every life matters , but as we have been told that the ethnics are more likely to catch and die from the Coronavirus so what do we see 1000’s of people protesting possibly spreading this disease around again ,but guess what ?thatll  probably be the government’s fault too that there’s a second spike ,more lives lost NHS overwhelmed just in time for all the winter bugs to kick in , 

1 minute ago, WalkedUp said:

I actually really like Priti Patel

It seems to be unmentioned that we have a very diverse government with two of the three top positions being held by BAME members (if you must put people in boxes) and the foreign Secretary's parents were also immigrants (from Czechoslovakia)

One reason for greater deaths from BAME backgrounds is due to poverty. There is unfortunately a strong correlation between poverty, being non-white and CV-19 deaths. Doesn’t explain them all, especially amongst BAME doctors (I read somewhere that almost 50% of NHS doctors are BAME - will find a link) but poverty is a current hypothesis of the increased death rate. I would suggest that is tangentially linked to BLM, but I would much rather demonstrate with my BAME friends to protest against poverty than celebrate George Floyd. 

2 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

It seems to be unmentioned that we have a very diverse government with two of the three top positions being held by BAME members (if you must put people in boxes) and the foreign Secretary's parents were also immigrants (from Czechoslovakia)

Yes, funnily enough we don’t even think about it as I guess we slowly are becoming blind to race. Which is great. 

3 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

I guess you missed my point on the BAME comment, but no biggie.

The other point relates to common sense.

I didn't miss it, I just chose to ignore it,  I personally couldn't care less what colour or religion people are, just don't preach at me or expect me to worry why something affects one group more than others, apparently. 

It could be the way we live, eat or just our DNA, I'm simply sick of it being made to look like a section of the population are under more threat,  yet many were happy to go and have a riot in London??

And its nothing to do with common sense,  as things stand at the moment you can't go round to someone's house and go in for tea.