Demonstrations in london

TRINITY

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

52 minutes ago, henry d said:

No, read it again.

Yes I have done. Then bad is subjective, I've walked around Arthur's Hill in Newcastle and the bensham areas of Gateshead, Jarrow, Hebburn, Parkhead and the Gorbals in Glasgow, Clydebank, Wester Hailes and Saughton in auld reekie, pottery quay, Swilly and At Bureaux in Plymouth.

I read it you live near there, but after 29 years you'll know the area, I doubt you're a different colour to everyone else. 

28 minutes ago, henry d said:

Lets also go offshore; Djibouti, Southern Districts of Columbo, Karachi, The docks of Manhattan, dodgy areas of Charleston, weat palm beach, fort Lauderdale, Mobile, everyone of which had **** poor neighbourhoods of different ethnicity but every one was open to welcoming the stranger, strange that!

The obvious difference is your ex forces and ex police,  and times have changed, how many years ago are we talking?

26 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

Poor guy, hadn’t realised that growing up in Somolali is not as rough as growing up in Birkenhead. Flipped the hot chicken and chips into his face and put my forehead through his nose. He crumpled to the floor and I ran like the wind. Turned round and he had disappeared, along with any mates. It was a stupid thing for me to do, could have easily been stabbed. But if you poke a bear you get bitten. 

Again your practically a local, you'll have gone there drinking growing up, understand the accent, the locals and I love the reaction.

55 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

Good point, I don’t do the financial or HR side but yes she’s on a much lower salary than her normal. £25,000 is more than enough to cover essentials. Even if you were both furloughed that’s £50,000 a year. Their combined income with one furloughed is still higher than that of my wife and myself in normal times. We have three children to feed, clothe and educate. The child care cost have to be paid even whilst the places are closed.

Take off tax and NI and the figure is actually £14595.15 per annum, so already a considerable difference to the £25000 that you believe she was receiving.

Now, I’d like our Company that they are still taking our full Pension contributions as if we were on full pay, then she could be looking at less than £800 take home per month.

Even for a couple that’s £1600! I do not know what mortgage/house prices are where your based. But on a £300000 pound house with a £250k mortgage, your looking at around £1400.

Doesn't leave much for food/bills/council tax etc, so I can understand her frustrations.

Often the obvious is not so obvious and we see/hear,  what we want.

Media says £2500 or 80% and everyone assumes that’s a large amount, but reality is that for many it’s not considerable amount.

Has your salary potentially been reduced by 50 to 75 percent say?  

Edited by Jaymo

51 minutes ago, grrclark said:

So part of an answer does need to be a better awareness of the consequence of our past, both the good and bad bits.  It's interesting that not long before the UK abolished slavery there are records of protest in some of the slums of Glasgow as the locals thought the slaves had it better than them.

Certainly yes, I like reading stories based on historically accurate events, involving wars normally. 

29 minutes ago, henry d said:

Not 100% where that was as i was only at the Kingsway east for 2-3 years and relied on the lads in the back for topography, as they relied on me when we were sent to Perth. I remember that Douglas and Whitfield used to call themselves West (Broughty) Ferry 🤣

West Ferry covering Douglas and Whitfield still makes me laugh.  I spent a few years of my young life in a flat above the fire station in the Ferry and then more years in a brigade council house in Douglas then moved back to the Ferry when my parents bought their first house.

Proper West Ferry was a very well todo area with some massive merchants houses, all built off the back of the slave and textile trade incidentally.  DC Thomson's house, Northwood (I think it was called) was in that part of town, a 100 room mansion and a very splendid thing it is too.  Now an eventide home.

1 minute ago, Jaymo said:

Take off tax and NI and the figure is actually £14595.15 per annum, so already a considerable difference to the £25000 that you believe she was receiving.

Now, I’d like our Company that they are still taking our full Pension contributions as if we were on full pay, then she could be looking at less than £800 take home per month.

Even for a couple that’s £1600! I do not know what mortgage/house prices are where your based. But on a £300000 pound house with a £250k mortgage, your looking at around £1400.

Doesn't leave much for food/bills/council tax etc, so I can understand her frustrations.

Media says £2500 or 80% and everyone assumes that’s a large amount, but reality is that for many it’s not considerable amount.

Interesting. I’m glad I know that now, hadn’t bothered to find out. Which is bad. Quite a drop from £40k p/a, I guess that may be why she seems so angry 🤣

Just now, Jaymo said:

I agree. In general our company has furloughed people who are not significantly impacted financially and "protected" those who it would have a significant impact on.

In France I have colleagues who are on "chomage partiel" at full pay (the government pay 85% and the company 15%) so in the short term it's a winner for every employee - medium to long term may be different obviously...

I can fully understand a UK Architect currently on £2500 feeling a bit upset.

5 minutes ago, grrclark said:

West Ferry covering Douglas and Whitfield still makes me laugh.  I spent a few years of my young life in a flat above the fire station in the Ferry and then more years in a brigade council house in Douglas then moved back to the Ferry when my parents bought their first house.

Proper West Ferry was a very well todo area with some massive merchants houses.

Nice early years, when we first moved up here we were spoiled, my SIL husband was the college officer at At Leonard's in st Andrews and then at a wonderful place called redholme at the college off Craigie drive, stunning place for a couple of years, a lot of cash rolled into Dundee a long time ago, and lot of people got very rich.

25 minutes ago, Mice! said:

I read it you live near there, but after 29 years you'll know the area, I doubt you're a different colour to everyone else. 

I didn't at year one and I was the minority and probably seen as the minority still. You are still focused on colour, get over it, there are differences that transcend skin colour, as it was in the west end of Newcastle, Gateshead, Djibouti, Charleston...

Just now, WalkedUp said:

https://jobs.architecture.com/staticpages/10290/salary-guide-architects-and-architecture/ Yes, she’s 8 years qualified, look at the RIBA data and it is the correct salary. 

Fair enough. I'm surprised, my 19 y/o daughter just secured her first proper job after A Levels on a starting salary of £30k.  

Just now, WalkedUp said:

Just out of curiosity did you think that is too high or too low?

I don't have enough insight to judge too high or too low but it just seemed low to me.

2 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

Fair enough. I'm surprised, my 19 y/o daughter just secured her first proper job after A Levels on a starting salary of £30k.  

I don't have enough insight to judge too high or too low but it just seemed low to me.

Seems very low to me. I am clearly using the wrong firm.

One of my newly qualified architects is on £25k/annum. We have a reputation for paying well and sweating blood. Tory policy in early 1990s combined with RIBA incompetence destroyed the industry. If I had have known that I would have chosen medicine instead. Considering I went to state school in Birkenhead and managed to get 5 As at A Level I have made some very bad life choices in the following decades 🤣

9 minutes ago, henry d said:

I didn't at year one and I was the minority and probably seen as the minority still. You are still focused on colour, get over it, there are differences that transcend skin colour, as it was in the west end of Newcastle, Gateshead, Djibouti, Charleston...

I'm saying about colour because there are large areas now where there is predominantly one colour. 

And because the slogan is BLM it should be all lives matter.

I’m one of 5 brought up by a single mother. My mum is one of 13. My eldest sister is a director at PWC on crazy money, two other sisters are Deputy Heads and I’m an eegit, turned down an invite from PBJ to extend my Master’s Dissertation into a PhD to go into practice. Now working consistent 60+ hour weeks for on average £40k. The same as my best paid member of staff. 

But loving life nonetheless. I’ve got three gorgeous boys, a beautiful wife and a have built a lovely home. Money is nothing in life. 

On 11/06/2020 at 14:37, Rewulf said:

?? In what way have they disenfranchised the public ?
If anything , 'the public' who you might find are of a white English majority , will be angry at the government for not stopping this wanton damage of national monuments, by cracking some skulls.
Yes , people are not happy with the way AMERICAN  police are 'responsible' for the death of GF , but weve swiftly moved on from there now, and we are challenging how OUR society functions.
If anything its playing straight into the far rights hands....

Those statues have been there for a long, long time, why now?
Why has sadiq took it upon himself to be the nations moral compass, hes a minority son of a bus driver, and hes mayor of London !
So much for inequality eh ?

Please dont do a henry, and expect the answers to questions like that to jump out of a google search.
People who do subtle manipulation , dont put their names forward for public scrutiny, especially when that scrutiny will throw up all kinds of questions about motive.

Look who the biggest benefactors are of organisations like antifa, XR  and BLM , those people are your movers and shakers in the alt left world, they own newspapers and TV channels.
They have an agenda I can only guess at, but their weapon is chaos and above all , division.

Race, and racism is something we ALL live with, its not something that occupies most peoples thoughts as we struggle through life, yet we are constantly reminded about the injustices on a virtually daily basis , by that same media that seems to profit from division.

The colonial British used racial division to conquer entire continents with very few troops using this ploy of division, Id like to think weve moved on from those ambitions, but dont let the same tactic be used on us today.
Whatever your race or colour, I think we are better than that.

Sounds about right.

So much truth in that……...

9 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

One of my newly qualified architects is on £25k/annum. We have a reputation for paying well and sweating blood. Tory policy in early 1990s combined with RIBA incompetence destroyed the industry. If I had have known that I would have chosen medicine instead. Considering I went to state school in Birkenhead and managed to get 5 As at A Level I have made some very bad life choices in the following decades 🤣

Perhaps you did, my Product CTO based in the South of France costs me (my Business Unit) just north of €249k per annum, he is a very good, actually exceptional Architect but we are talking embedded software here and he is "a face" in the industry.

1 minute ago, Mr_Nobody said:

I see Sadiq is worried about the possibility of violence in the capitol this weekend. Shame he wasn't so worried last week. Then again that was the correct form of protest wasn't it?

Please reveal the source of this video, as in where or what does it originate from?

44 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

I’m one of 5 brought up by a single mother. My mum is one of 13. My eldest sister is a director at PWC on crazy money, two other sisters are Deputy Heads and I’m an eegit, turned down an invite from PBJ to extend my Master’s Dissertation into a PhD to go into practice. Now working consistent 60+ hour weeks for on average £40k. The same as my best paid member of staff. 

But loving life nonetheless. I’ve got three gorgeous boys, a beautiful wife and a have built a lovely home. Money is nothing in life. 

Missed this but I have to say, good for you Sir!