Countryfile,BBC 1, now

twenty

1 minute ago, clangerman said:

the rspb wally needs to produce these bodies he claimed to have held typical further insinuations against shooting 

In am sorry to say that it is not as uncommon as you may think. Raptor persecution DOES exist,  but it is not always Gamekeepers that are responsible. We are currently experiencing several 'unexplained' deaths of cormorants and swans on a nearby canal. Straight away the local 'rag' was pointing the finger at fishermen, because a local doggie walker had told them so. Absolutely no proof that it has anything to do with anglers, but it must be correct, the local newspaper said so  !   As a retired Wildlife Liaison Officer for the area, I would be looking towards the local 'social housing' estate where the ownership of both air weapons and shotguns is rife. Where better to take your gun out for a 'shot' than the peace and quiet of the canal towpath, especially in the early dawn.  I once dealt with a prolific egg collector who travelled the country collecting eggs,  after his arrest a search of his property revealed a large collection of protected birds in various stages of taxidermy. A shame really because he was a wonderful artist too.  I do not think Keepers will be too bothered about Raptors at present, they will mostly be involved in fighting the moorland fires again. Seemingly due to portable, disposable BBQ's.  

2 minutes ago, clangerman said:

your right it does happen but every time we hear how bodies have been found they do not produce them just insinuations shooters are responsible if they have proof we are at fault they should be prepared to prove it which they don’t 

They do produce birds that have been shot, including the X-Rays, BUT proving who actually killed that bird, unless eye witnessed, is almost impossible. Yes, the RSPB are very quick to point the finger at shooters and all too often get it plastered over the media, just a shame they are never as quick to withdraw allegations or apologize when it all falls through. Retractions are never newsworthy.

Some of the raptors containing lead could have eat some thing that had been shot and died later and then eat by the bird. As any studies been carried out to see if this as happened instead of blaming shooters or game keepers  just because it as lead.This will not change when it is all steel. 

Persecution is an emotive word, implying that the subject is systematically and relentlessly pursued.........that is not the case with raptors! Raptor mortality has been hijacked by anti shooting protectionists as a means to attack shooting! That is why they Immediately imply/accuse shooting interests as responsible for every raptor death, however it occurred! They use the word persecution, for maximum emotional effect! To gain support/backing from a naive general public and provide copy for a sensationalism hungry media, I accept there may be a few opportunists, even the odd keeper who would shoot something.........just because they wanted to, or the chance presented itself........but widespread, relentless and systematic persecution? Nah!....otherwise raptors wouldn’t be increasing in numbers, as they are!
Similarly the word “bloodsport” is a label the antis put on fieldsports, deliberately intended to stimulate an emotional shock in order to maximise a supportive reaction from a naive general public, many who think Bambi and Peter Rabbit are real animals, and meat doesn’t come from animals but comes wrapped in plastic....from Tesco’s.

Maybe next week, Countryfile will do a feature on the vast amount of conservation work that is carried out by keepers and landowners, showing various Curlew, Lapwing, Harrier, grey partridge, woodcock, nightingale etc, etc projects.........plus supplementary feeding, nest box projects, tree planting, hedge re-instatements, beetle banks, pond construction,............or maybe they won't. :hmm:

1 minute ago, twenty said:

Maybe next week, Countryfile will do a feature on the vast amount of conservation work that is carried out by keepers and landowners, showing various Curlew, Lapwing, Harrier, grey partridge, woodcock, nightingale etc, etc projects.........plus supplementary feeding, nest box projects, tree planting, hedge re-instatements, beetle banks, pond construction,............or maybe they won't.

Have you been drinking?

You just know that will never happen on the Fluffy Countryside where nothing ever dies Show.

2 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Have you been drinking?

You just know that will never happen on the Fluffy Countryside where nothing ever dies Show.

I Know.....but this is the only programme on terrestrial TV that the general public tend to watch about the countryside, its the only time they receive wildlife news, and lets be fair its biased, and shows, as you say, the fluffy countryside.............needs a few corvid lambs, calf/veal production, Knacker lorry collections, fallen stock.........perhaps a feature on trespassing, fly tipping, Antis, Swans being shot,...........you know, the stuff we see.

I’m pretty sure they find shot BoP. I’m also sure that birds that have died in other ways are collected and shot by antis and then taken for an x ray. 

A BoP hit by a car doesn’t raise funds, a bird shot does. 

10 hours ago, twenty said:

I Know.....but this is the only programme on terrestrial TV that the general public tend to watch about the countryside, its the only time they receive wildlife news, and lets be fair its biased, and shows, as you say, the fluffy countryside.............needs a few corvid lambs, calf/veal production, Knacker lorry collections, fallen stock.........perhaps a feature on trespassing, fly tipping, Antis, Swans being shot,...........you know, the stuff we see.

They do a small amount of that sort of stuff, hidden amongst the false farming and poncy artwork fillers that they use to bulk out the hour long programme.

It would be good to see them concentrate on the nastier aspects of country life, might make the people watching realise what is really going on out there.

44 minutes ago, markm said:

I’m pretty sure they find shot BoP. I’m also sure that birds that have died in other ways are collected and shot by antis and then taken for an x ray. 

A BoP hit by a car doesn’t raise funds, a bird shot does. 

Totally agree.............another thing that does not raise funds are all the British birds on the red list,.....c68 species presently......ever heard them mention them.

All the best.

28 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

They do a small amount of that sort of stuff, hidden amongst the false farming and poncy artwork fillers that they use to bulk out the hour long programme.

It would be good to see them concentrate on the nastier aspects of country life, might make the people watching realise what is really going on out there.

Yeah, I agree.......Like yesterdays piglet filming section...what a waste of time.

All the best.