No idea

Jacko3275

1 hour ago, Clodhopper said:

How would you decoy that?? You would need to peg them well.

Looks like Linseed to me. I find it very hit  and miss with the pigeons.

Not seen the amount of pigeons round here before on less it’s on laid wheat or barley  and that’s before I knew about pigeon shooting  so it must be new to the pigs round here

21 hours ago, Clodhopper said:

Looks like Linseed to me. I find it very hit  and miss with the pigeons.

We don't grow any Linseed now , but when we did I also found it hit and miss , if they did go on it was when it was 4 / 5 high , some years were good , then some were a dead loss .

Another crop that looked similar when it was short was Lucerne , this was a very good crop for pigeon shooting prior to the large amounts of rape now grown , haven't seen it for a few years now so I am not sure it is still grown . 

1 hour ago, marsh man said:

We don't grow any Linseed now , but when we did I also found it hit and miss , if they did go on it was when it was 4 / 5 high , some years were good , then some were a dead loss .

Another crop that looked similar when it was short was Lucerne , this was a very good crop for pigeon shooting prior to the large amounts of rape now grown , haven't seen it for a few years now so I am not sure it is still grown . 

I have never seen any Lucerne grown on farms that I shoot, they are all predominantly arable with very few livestock farms in the area.

It is a good few years since  I have seen any numbers on Linseed and that was on a laid crop one July. There were huge patches flat to the ground and pigeons were piling into it.

Linseed is becoming more popular with farmers. As most of us know, rape is on the slide with flea beetle slaughtering it - there used to be a spray for flea beetle but good old Barnier and chums put paid to that. Linseed isn't the most popular fodder for pigeons. However, crane fly larvae like linseed roots and can wreck linseed crops with gusto. And guess what, there used to be a spray for crane fly larvae but... you know the rest.

havnt got a problem with the EU et al banning sprays................i remember the "silent spring" in the 60's when the countryside died due to the use of DDT and very hard winters...........there was no birdsong anywhere........it was dead.........

the chemical companies will just have to spend their investors money on finding kinder alternatives..........trouble is they dont like to "waste " their profits without being forced....