Best place for mower spares

Benthejockey

I've got a John Deere R54RKB mower I inherited from my FIL and it is a beast, I love mowing the lawn with it it dies such a good job. However a little while back it stopped driving. A bloke in the village tarts mowers up and sells them on so I got him to have a look at it. The good news was the belt and chain drives were in great order. Bad news was the gearbox/transmission box needs replacing. The new part, next day delivery and fitting was going to be circa £200. I don't think he was trying to rip me off the part is around £125-£155 depending on where you look, plus the middle man will need to make a bit and the p&p and then he's got to fit it for me too. I was wondering if the PW mega minds know any really good mower spares people that might have a used part or a reconditioned part before I have to cry and buy a new one. It's a John Deere R54RKB and the part is SA34286 I think it's a 2008 model. 

I personally think it’s more important to make sure you’re buying the correct part than saving a few quid, last week when the rear wheel of our mower broke I managed to find what looked like the correct one on eBay but the serial numbers weren’t an exact fit, by contrast a company called buyspares.co.uk did match exactly and I ordered it from them even though it was £13 dearer. 

Good news is it arrived on time and fitted. 

My 18 year old Hayter Harrier 41 decided to have a grumpy moment a couple of weeks ago and wouldn't start - checked the plug, it was getting fuel etc.  Thought - ahh shucks I'll just get a new mower (settled on a Mountfield with a Honda engine for not silly money).  The old Hayter must have got wind of this change in events and started first pull the following day - so cancelled the new mower and bought a service kit (plug, air filter and oil) for the Hayter...it's on final warning now.   Have pondered giving it a full overhaul over the winter - put it back to 'as new'.

I have an old Wheel Horse garden tractor with a mower deck underneath ......... old being 1977 but it still runs well.  However spares are difficult to get - and so I have bought a number from eBay.  Last year the fuel pump went (diaphragm failed) on the Kohler engine.  Kohler agent can supply a complete new pump (well over £100), but you can't get the diaphragm or a 'repair kit'  from Kohler agents any more.  I took a gamble and ordered a fuel pump kit from China via eBay which was about £10 delivered.  All arrived quite quickly, fitted fine and has been working ever since, so full marks to Chinese pattern parts from eBay.

I have an Hayter Harrier 48 the engine is perfect but the bearings in the split rear roller are knackered and it needs two front wheels, I can almost buy a new mower for the cost of the parts and apparently it's a pig of a job, admittedly it wont be another Hayter. 

Seems  reasonable price to me. Price is around 150 for gearbox so £50 to fit seems reasonable given that the back needs to come out and I’d bet that the bolt heads aren’t in great condition.

you won’t get reconditioned, the parts(if you can get them) and work would make it more expensive than new. Best bet for second is to get another mower with a blown engine.

Edited by SpringDon

£200 is not a bad price including parts as JD parts are not cheap.  Pity your some distance away as I have a friend who would sort that for you and he has John Deere oil running in his veins.  Personally I would bit the bullet and have a proper job done because those mowers go on forever if you looks after them. I have a Kubota and it runs like a Swiss watch even though it is at least 12yrs old maybe more.   If you eventually find a spare part you could easily be back to square one in a month or so.  Have some friends just purchased a small UTV and already the gearbox is out and the brakes are seized.....only had it a week !!!!

6 hours ago, B725 said:

I have an Hayter Harrier 48 the engine is perfect but the bearings in the split rear roller are knackered and it needs two front wheels, I can almost buy a new mower for the cost of the parts and apparently it's a pig of a job, admittedly it wont be another Hayter. 

if you want a quick fix get someone to weld the two pieces together

17 hours ago, B725 said:

We’ve a Hayter 41 and my mother and the mother in law have 48’s I have to say touch wood with the use they get they seem very reliable. The newest likes drive belts to be changed every 2 years but that is probably down to the driver having some very steep banks.... with the way they cut we would probably replace but they seem to just keep going. 

Mine is 20 odd year's old but the spares are very expensive £25 each front wheel and I dread to think the cost of the rear roller assembly and not the easiest of thing's to work on. The engine is perfect it dosnt even get the oil black. 

13 hours ago, B725 said:

Mine is 20 odd year's old but the spares are very expensive £25 each front wheel and I dread to think the cost of the rear roller assembly and not the easiest of thing's to work on. The engine is perfect it dosnt even get the oil black. 

I will have a root about in the garage.   I might have a few wheels...I recently moved house and threw most of my spares away

Put a pic up of the mower so I know the model 

Will have a look.  I did have a few wheels but not sure if they have been thrown away. 
what is up with the roller.   No drive or no drive on one side

The guy that does my repairs will have plenty of spares but not sure if he will post

As you look at it the right side bearing is knackered allowing a fair bit of movement and there's a tiny bit on the left side. I don't know how it's all put together as I have never been able to see a clear diagram. 

20200603_184739_copy_1512x2016.jpg