Can you be fined for putting your rubbish in the bin?

Lloyd90

So down the road from us there is a big Iceland and behind it appears to be some flats or similar ... Away from the flats near the back of Iceland outside of it they have a bins area with 3 huge dumpsters for residential waste. 

Now since they changed the bin collection to every other week, every now and then if we have a particularly stinky bin or similar, I will take it down to these dumpsters rather than leave it sat in the bin for almost 2 weeks to rot and stink. 

Lots of other people do this and you often see people popping a bag in the bin. 

I took a bag down tonight as I bought a load of chicken breast today and opening the pack it wasn’t right at all... just my luck they just collected the bin this Friday... so I bagged it up and took it down and placed it inside the dumpster... only to then see a board been put up “YOU ARE ON CCTV! Dumping of rubbish - £5000 fine!” 

Surely putting your rubbish into a bin can’t be such an offence?! 

Where I go for a walk with the dog we often see the side of the lane covered in rubbish bags and clearances that have evidently been dumped! I’m not surprised when the council makes it so hard to put rubbish into a bloody bin! 

Its difficult to answer without all the info Lloyd,  but it's possible ( and with some local authorities probable), that you could be prosecuted for fly tipping.

Don't forget that those larger bins will most probably need to last for two weeks as well , and will be used by many properties, and may well fill up with dumped waste , so that residents can't use them for their own waste . It's no different from those people dumping waste into your bin really. 

It might be different if they're private bins from a private waste collection firm ,  because then you're also stealing the service that someone else is paying for.

They most probably don't actually have cctv set up anyway , but if they do , then things might get awkward for you.

i get the reasoning behind your decision but its wrong   someone is paying for the dumpster bins and its not you  its a case of flytipping    if you ask there permission then that is a  different ballgame   i doubt if they will fine you lloyd  they dont normally bother unless there is tons of stuff dumped there and they can not use it for themselves

2 hours ago, Retsdon said:

It can be if it's not your bin. In Texas, people get shot for it!!! 🙂

I remember that from a few years ago, I do not believe that was murder. Texas is a stand your ground state. Howard effectively killed himself by fly tipping, then confronting someone whilst carrying a baseball bat and threatening to kill the person. He was being the “big man” similar to suicide by cop. It would be interesting to have a US view on it @NoBodyImportant

Reminds me of the old punchline... he died doing what he loved best, throwing rocks at bears.

Think it is pretty obvious really as it's not your bin. Some body is paying for that bin. Even the council in lay byes around here have now put up signs because of the shambles of refuse collections people would drop the odd black bag by a bin in a lay bye. Personal the council should have shut up and excepted that because some one had gone to the bother of bagging it and dragging to a refuse bin that gets emptied regularly. Then they wonder why people fly tip. 

32 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

I remember that from a few years ago, I do not believe that was murder. Texas is a stand your ground state. Howard effectively killed himself by fly tipping, then confronting someone whilst carrying a baseball bat and threatening to kill the person. He was being the “big man” similar to suicide by cop. It would be interesting to have a US view on it @NoBodyImportant

Reminds me of the old punchline... he died doing what he loved best, throwing rocks at bears.

The official US view is that father and son are being tried for murder. But let's not derail the thread. Besides it's already been done to death (pun intended) on here before.

2 hours ago, washerboy said:

Surely fly tipping is dumping outside the bin? 

I would have thought so, but evidently not. 

The bins are council bins, they are away from the flats in a bin area, not outside of them. 

But hey ho ... guess it’s not ok to put your rubbish in a council bin, despite paying your council tax 😬😭

1 hour ago, captainhastings said:

Think it is pretty obvious really as it's not your bin. Some body is paying for that bin. Even the council in lay byes around here have now put up signs because of the shambles of refuse collections people would drop the odd black bag by a bin in a lay bye. Personal the council should have shut up and excepted that because some one had gone to the bother of bagging it and dragging to a refuse bin that gets emptied regularly. Then they wonder why people fly tip. 

It’s a council bin. Assume (wrongly evidently) that as I pay my council tax I’d be allowed to put my rubbish in a council owned bin. Imagine that! 

Just now, Lloyd90 said:

I would have thought so, but evidently not. 

The bins are council bins, they are away from the flats in a bin area, not outside of them. 

But hey ho ... guess it’s not ok to put your rubbish in a council bin, despite paying your council tax 😬😭

You can put your rubbish in your bin and pay your Council Tax, putting it elsewhere may leave you in the ****!

1 hour ago, ShootingEgg said:

If the chicken you got was in date and off surely take it back for replacement or money back. Or do what we all have to and pit it in ya bin. 

I don’t bother with a receipt with all this Covid nonsense. Get my shopping pay and leave ... I also don’t fancy taking a dripping open container of raw chicken for a drive and then stand with it at customer service for the sake of £4. 

3 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

You can put your rubbish in your bin and pay your Council Tax, putting it elsewhere may leave you in the ****!

Yes ... I await my fine now 😭😬

Hello, in Abingdon people use to steal from Greg's bin behind the shop, bread for fishing, cakes to eat, now all padlocked, Iceland pay to put their rubbish yours would be illegal to dispose off, on the news this morning massive increase in litter left in parks and places where people have had picnics, 

As said those companies pay a hefty wack each year to get rid of there rubbish and your dumping yours in there skip , So effectively there paying to get rid of your rubbish , Then if you put the wrong stuff in the wrong skip your contaminating the whole skip and it can be rejected and they got to pay more to  get rid of there rubbish