Can you be fined for putting your rubbish in the bin?

Lloyd90

As kids we were once caught and threatened with prosecution because we took stale bread from the bins to make groundbait for fishing. The copper was great about it and even said surely if the lads ask in future they can have what they want. Answer was no it belongs to the refuge company as soon as it leaves the storeroom. 

1 hour ago, Lloyd90 said:

I don’t bother with a receipt with all this Covid nonsense. Get my shopping pay and leave ... I also don’t fancy taking a dripping open container of raw chicken for a drive and then stand with it at customer service for the sake of £4. 

Yes ... I await my fine now 😭😬

I would have frozen the chicken, rang the shop to explain the problem, then on their advice either binned the chicken on bin day or returned to the store next shopping day. 

I personally think though that the smell that you assumed to be "off" may have been a usual smell from vacuum packed meat. Difficult for me to say for sure obviously but very common to smell different to normal. 

It's illegal dumping of household rubbish. As others say and also as you are disposing of your household rubbish not in the bin provided at your property (or at an approved waste facility) but away from your property. No if's no but's. It is also illegal to go out either on foot or in a vehicle and put a small bag of rubbish in a bin attached to a lamp post and then the one attached to the next lamp post and the lamp post after that. As they are there for the normal stuff that people might want to dispose of as they walk the highway such as cigarette packets, crisp packets, sweet wrappers and drink cans and such.

Edited by enfieldspares

You may find it’s a private waste contract. Do the bins have any company name on them?

If it’s CCTV monitored just avoid the place for a while, it probably isn’t monitored anyhow. 

The dumping may refer to bags or large items outside the actual bin, as usually happens on big bin stores especially if the kids get told to take the bins out and they can’t reach or flip the lid. 

how do they know you don’t live in the block of flats. 

many variables here so I think you can sleep easy. 

we had people using our communal bins which resulted in them not being emptied on a few occasions. One was half full of soil. Another grass cuttings. 
the recycling was constantly tagged contaminated so wouldn’t get collected - to the point it was swapped for another general waste. 
all bins that were not emptied for the nice reasons carried a hefty charge per bin for collection and remediation 

With regards to general waste,  really annoying but I prefer that to it being dumped in the cutting behind. 

I would be miffed if instead of having a smelly bin people were dumping rotting meat in mine though to be fair.  Christmas wrapping and the such I probably wouldn’t have a heart attack over 

Edited by ph5172

When the OH and me split I hired a few skips to get rid of garden waste, flooring etc while I did it up for the market. It was really annoying to find each morning that people had dumped their own rubbish in them under cover of darkness. Mostly white goods that would cost them to dispose of. 
Fortunately a few of the travelling fraternity called around and actually knocked at the door to ask if they could take things from the skips! They took all of the white goods and almost emptied another! Sorted! 😀

6 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Well if it is a first offence you might be lucky, or just plead stupidity!

He does this on a daily basis.. 

4 hours ago, Scully said:

When the OH and me split I hired a few skips to get rid of garden waste, flooring etc while I did it up for the market. It was really annoying to find each morning that people had dumped their own rubbish in them under cover of darkness. Mostly white goods that would cost them to dispose of. 
Fortunately a few of the travelling fraternity called around and actually knocked at the door to ask if they could take things from the skips! They took all of the white goods and almost emptied another! Sorted! 😀

I find people empty skips ive had in the past.. Rather than add to them... 

11 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

I remember that from a few years ago, I do not believe that was murder. Texas is a stand your ground state. Howard effectively killed himself by fly tipping, then confronting someone whilst carrying a baseball bat and threatening to kill the person. He was being the “big man” similar to suicide by cop. It would be interesting to have a US view on it @NoBodyImportant

Reminds me of the old punchline... he died doing what he loved best, throwing rocks at bears.

Lol, we call him the Dumpster defender.  The short story was as this.  The defender owned a small business and had a private dumpster.  The defender had to pay for it to be emptied when it was full.  The defender looked out and saw his neighbor throwing a bed frame and mattress in it which would cost the defender $150 to have emptied.  He politely asked the neighbor to remove it and the neighbor pulled it out and tried to leave it on the ground.  He then attacked him with a baseball bat.  The defender shot him.  He was actually in the right in every way but what got him was he lost the media trial.  Over here the media decides who is right and who is wrong.  He never shot anyone for throwing a mattress in his dumpster as media claimed but he shot him because he was attacked with a bat.  But media doesn’t like self defense shootings, the headline man kills neighbor over mattress in dumpster sounds better to push the anti gun agenda. 

Edited by NoBodyImportant

49 minutes ago, NoBodyImportant said:

Lol, we call him the Dumpster defender.  The short story was as this.  The defender owned a small business and had a private dumpster.  The defender had to pay for it to be emptied when it was full.  The defender looked out and saw his neighbor throwing a bed frame and mattress in it which would cost the defender $150 to have emptied.  He politely asked the neighbor to remove it and the neighbor pulled it out and tried to leave it on the ground.  He then attacked him with a baseball bat.  The defender shot him.  He was actually in the right in every way but what got him was he lost the media trial.  Over here the media decides who is right and who is wrong.  He never shot anyone for throwing a mattress in his dumpster as media claimed but he shot him because he was attacked with a bat.  But media doesn’t like self defense shootings, the headline man kills neighbor over mattress in dumpster sounds better to push the anti gun agenda. 

😀 Sounds about right. 👍

10 hours ago, Chris B123 said:

Did you not think it would smell in their bin?.

Considering their bin area is across the road from the flats in an area behind an industrial unit I didn’t think anyone would care ... rather than sat outside your house front door. 

Bit different really ... 🤷‍♂️

27 minutes ago, ClemFandango said:

Hi Lloyd. I have some off meat I'd rather not chuck in my bin as I don't want it stinking up my back garden. 

I'll bring it round to yours so I can stink your place up okay?

If my bin was about 50 yards across the road from the front of my house, and you paid council tax to the same council as me, then I’d welcome you to drop it round. 

As I see it we both paid our council tax for the bins to be collected in our area. If yours is a bit full and mines half empty then no bother ... I’d rather people went out of their way to bin it than what I see when I take the dog for a walk... people driving onto private land and throwing it into the hedges and woodland ... 

I think in future I’ll go throw my waste around on the local bowling green ... council won’t care then long as it’s private property eh 🤪😂... 

4 hours ago, ShootingEgg said:

He does this on a daily basis.. 

I find people empty skips ive had in the past.. Rather than add to them... 

Shut up you I know where you live 🤣 they’ll be on your new lawn next week :P 

19 minutes ago, NoBodyImportant said:

And that media sweetheart( the deceased commonlaw wife) was about 6 month pregnant by another man 8 months later at the first arraignment.  So she bounced back quickly.  

I wonder how many of those media types actually quietly own guns back home? 🙂

23 hours ago, JTaylor91 said:

Not all councils collect food waste weekly. Ours is every 2 weeks

As Lloyd and I both live in Bristol, his food waste is collected weekly.

Tangential question: What do you do with the 'peelings' from animals you've shot?  Double bag and into the fortnightly bin, or into the food waste and hope the operative emptying it isn't paying too much attention?  Yes, I'm aware this 'townie problems'.  😁

Feeding to ferrets doesn't count as an answer.

26 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Tangential question: What do you do with the 'peelings' from animals you've shot?  Double bag and into the fortnightly bin, or into the food waste and hope the operative emptying it isn't paying too much attention?  Yes, I'm aware this 'townie problems'.  😁

I normally leave it in a hedge row or similar where I know foxes etc visit. 

I didn’t do it with the chicken as it was very rubbery, white and hard and obviously something wrong with it. I would have thought it would be worse to go and throw raw chicken round the area than put it in a council bin. 

30 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

We don’t have a specific food waste bin here. A green bin for general household, non recyclables and food waste. A red bin for cardboard and plastic and a box for cans and bottles. The bird peelings get double bagged and thrown in the green bin. 

18 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

If my bin was about 50 yards across the road from the front of my house, and you paid council tax to the same council as me, then I’d welcome you to drop it round. 

As I see it we both paid our council tax for the bins to be collected in our area. If yours is a bit full and mines half empty then no bother ... I’d rather people went out of their way to bin it than what I see when I take the dog for a walk... people driving onto private land and throwing it into the hedges and woodland ... 

I think in future I’ll go throw my waste around on the local bowling green ... council won’t care then long as it’s private property eh 🤪😂... 

Shut up you I know where you live 🤣 they’ll be on your new lawn next week  

The spaniel will eat them then I'll drop round what ever comes out the other end.. 

Lloyd. Not clear from your address (Bristol, UK) whether you live within the boundaries of Bristol proper ( only locals will understand "proper" in the context of a Bristol accent / dialect)'or whether your area of Bristol does, for example, fall under another authority, say, of South Glos.

If it's Bristol proper then you have a brown recycle bin for food waste which is collected weekly. So, there is no excuse whatsoever for your skullduggery methods of unwanted meat disposal. If, on the other hand, you fall within the boundaries of a different authority, please could you let readers know whether you also have a dedicated food recycle bin? And, if so, why you chose not to take the appropriate action?

54 minutes ago, Bobba said:

Lloyd. Not clear from your address (Bristol, UK) whether you live within the boundaries of Bristol proper ( only locals will understand "proper" in the context of a Bristol accent / dialect)'or whether your area of Bristol does, for example, fall under another authority, say, of South Glos.

If it's Bristol proper then you have a brown recycle bin for food waste which is collected weekly. So, there is no excuse whatsoever for your skullduggery methods of unwanted meat disposal. If, on the other hand, you fall within the boundaries of a different authority, please could you let readers know whether you also have a dedicated food recycle bin? And, if so, why you chose not to take the appropriate action?

Well he is welsh so he aint Bristol proper haha, and to be fair id not be surprised if he is on the line where he is. Id imagine both supply a food bin. Also Lloyd you got a spaniel haha, you could of probably got away woth boiling it up for 30minutes and then serving it up in chunks..