Air rifle prices.

samboy

The thing is once you have the rifle and the bottle ammunition is dirt cheap even compared to rimfire with 500 pellets costing you about £13.

Also if they are sub 12 ft/lb there is not all the aggravation with having FAC i.e. land clearances for closed tickets etc. They generally are a really good gateway gun for people getting into rifle shooting and for practice of technique without breaking the bank on ammo.

Boys and toys. There's no need to spend that much. If you've got a ticket for it and the land's good to shoot a rimfire safely, then yeah you're probably right, there's not much room for an air rifle - and never one that costs 4 figures, with all the bells and many whistles besides. 

It's the same as any walk of life: If there's someone cheeky enough to charge it, there's someone dumb enough to pay it! I can't decide whether top-dollar air rifle prices are more or less over the top than bass fishing tackle. Now there's an absurd little world if ever there was one!

Just now, Zetter said:

The thing is once you have the rifle and the bottle ammunition is dirt cheap even compared to rimfire with 500 pellets costing you about £13.

Also if they are sub 12 ft/lb there is not all the aggravation with having FAC i.e. land clearances for closed tickets etc. They generally are a really good gateway gun for people getting into rifle shooting and for practice of technique without breaking the bank on ammo.

True, but don't forget you've then got to fill the bottle and keep it tested.

2 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

Boys and toys. There's no need to spend that much. If you've got a ticket for it and the land's good to shoot a rimfire safely, then yeah you're probably right, there's not much room for an air rifle - and never one that costs 4 figures, with all the bells and many whistles besides. 

It's the same as any walk of life: If there's someone cheeky enough to charge it, there's someone dumb enough to pay it! I can't decide whether top-dollar air rifle prices are more or less over the top than bass fishing tackle. Now there's an absurd little world if ever there was one!

True, but don't forget you've then got to fill the bottle and keep it tested.

Good point Chris alternative get a nice boinger and you are set for life. still regret getting rid of my 97K

I'm still taking things with the same SMK underlever I was brought 17 years ago as a birthday present. It had a cheapy SMK scope to start with but was upgraded to a hawke one my old man found in a house clearance 😂.

I've had a few others over the last 10-15 years that have come and gone, I do like the idea of a nice PCP but I don't think I'd use it enough to even justify a second hand one, especially when the springer is still plugging away.

3 hours ago, samboy said:

Hi gang.

Just looking at the prices of Air rifles. I cant believe how expensive they are. Think i will stick with my rimfire for rabbiting.

New prices are very expensive your right, but second hand prices are totally different,  you can pick up a lot of rifle for not a lot of money, and use them where you can't take your rimmy. 

As Mice says + not many moving parts on a PCP to wear out - occasionally the seals will need replacing but I've had PCP's go 10 + years and needing nothing at all. Buy used, and wisely, and your shooting will cost you nowt over time when you consider resale value. If you don't want to spend a fortune on a tank buy a used one as before or buy a rifle with a moderate cylinder and use a pump.

2 minutes ago, Mice! said:

bargain all day long at that price. 

Yes, it was one of two guns I really coveted when I was a teenager. That and the Falcon Raptor Skeleton stock. I got a Saturday job at Sainsbury’s to save up for one but discovered girls instead 😢

13 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

Yes, it was one of two guns I really coveted when I was a teenager. That and the Falcon Raptor Skeleton stock. I got a Saturday job at Sainsbury’s to save up for one but discovered girls instead 😢

There was a little falcon,  skeleton stock came up for sale on Agf a few weeks ago,  sold in about 4 minutes,  it looked beautiful.