Firewood

Walker570

My good friend Team Tractor called me to say he had a few scrap pieces of black walnut which he didn't want to throw in the firewood bin would I have a use?

Never one to say no, I turned up at his works and he presented me with numerous slabs of black walnut and long thin strips of oak.  Now during this lockdown we have had some lovely folks calling and ringing up to see if we needed groceries etc., and one such young lady has been golden doing frequent trips to Morrisons for us and I did not know how to really say a big thank you and then PING !!!

I will make a nice cutting board from Nathans gift of wood. The oak strips where different sizes but I was able to cut the black walnut to the same size. Put them through the planer and got them glued together.   Then cut them again crossways and a gentle plane to square things up and glued them back again but because the oak was all different sizes I decided to lay those in a zig zag pattern rather then chess board pattern.  I managed to get the result almost levelled out but called Nathan and he kindly pu it through his machine for the fonal finish.  I hope the young lady will like it and find it useful.

Just gave it a coat of boiled linseed oil well rubbed in .     I had numerous smaller pieces left over and put them through the thicknesser and then went through the same process but this time the pieces almost matched, so I layed these alternate, then cut the piece into an oval shape.  This has turned out real nice and ideal for displaying small ornaments or small flower arrangements.

All of this from wood that would have been burned and hopefully will bringing pleasure for many years to come.

005.jpg

Edited by Walker570

It may look complicated but it is so easy if you have a bench saw, preferably with a fine cut blade.  Just cut the wood you have in strips, glue alternate colours together and when fully cured cut strps again but this time across the colours, then glue those together alternating the different woods/colours.  It does help if you have a sander and a planer.  I finish mine with boiled linseed oil.  You need three or four of those long clamps with the trigger system.

2 hours ago, Walker570 said:

My good friend Team Tractor called me to say he had a few scrap pieces of black walnut which he didn't want to throw in the firewood bin would I have a use?

Never one to say no, I turned up at his works and he presented me with numerous slabs of black walnut and long thin strips of oak.  Now during this lockdown we have had some lovely folks calling and ringing up to see if we needed groceries etc., and one such young lady has been golden doing frequent trips to Morrisons for us and I did not know how to really say a big thank you and then PING !!!

I will make a nice cutting board from Nathans gift of wood. The oak strips where different sizes but I was able to cut the black walnut to the same size. Put them through the planer and got them glued together.   Then cut them again crossways and a gentle plane to square things up and glued them back again but because the oak was all different sizes I decided to lay those in a zig zag pattern rather then chess board pattern.  I managed to get the result almost levelled out but called Nathan and he kindly pu it through his machine for the fonal finish.  I hope the young lady will like it and find it useful.

Just gave it a coat of boiled linseed oil well rubbed in .     I had numerous smaller pieces left over and put them through the thicknesser and then went through the same process but this time the pieces almost matched, so I layed these alternate, then cut the piece into an oval shape.  This has turned out real nice and ideal for displaying small ornaments or small flower arrangements.

All of this from wood that would have been burned and hopefully will bringing pleasure for many years to come.

005.jpg

They are superb.

Please note, you should not use boiled linseed oil on food related items as it has poisonous additives. You should use food grade linseed oil, (not boiled) but without the additives, it will take months to dry.

Edited by moondoggy

Well, thank you for the warning on boiled linseed oil but I have been using it now for at least 60yrs and still able to type this comment.  I put a small amount on these blocks this morning and gave them a serious buffing up. Put them in the sun for an hours and gave them another buffing.  They are now as dry as they will ever be and the scent has receded too.

Maybe we houldn't drink alcohol or puff on fags and these stinky vapour thingies or drive a car as we may get killed.   Don't mention salt in our diet etc etc etc.

2 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Well, thank you for the warning on boiled linseed oil but I have been using it now for at least 60yrs and still able to type this comment.  I put a small amount on these blocks this morning and gave them a serious buffing up. Put them in the sun for an hours and gave them another buffing.  They are now as dry as they will ever be and the scent has receded too.

Maybe we houldn't drink alcohol or puff on fags and these stinky vapour thingies or drive a car as we may get killed.   Don't mention salt in our diet etc etc etc.

........ or even drink water all our lives through lead pipe work and eat game shot with lead, etc etc , but we're still here. 

Wonderful cutting boards there. Well done and thanks for posting.

She will be absolutely delighted, I'm sure.

OB

Thanks fellas but some praise should go to Nathans machines because he came to the rescue and did the final sanding, well the machines did :yay:  No joking apart , he dropped what he was doing and spent 15 -20 minutes of his valuable time putting the final polish on the square one.  I am going to try for one with diamond shapes today. I still have some bits of wood left over, shame to waste it.. 

Dying to try to do triangles some scrabbled some bits together this afternoon and got them glued together. Then made a judgement as to what angle I needed to cut them to get the result I wanted and was really not disappointed with the result.  Although the block shown is not actually triangles, by turning the alternate pieces the other way it would form triangles. The one thing I learned was that to get a reasonable size board then lots more wood has to be used than normal because cutting at angles loses a lot on the corners.  Came out pretty attractive and my wife says she will use it to display bits of china she has.  I now plan to do a full size board 18 inches  by 12 inches.

007.jpg

008.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

Still had a few bits of the black walnut left over so mixed it with some oak and an unknown variety of redish wood and came up with a crazy diamond pattern. My wife wanted an oval board so managed to just fit the shape into the bits I had making a board about 16 inches by 10 inches.  Thats it now for the moment unless I'm offered some more wood.

004.jpg