Post-lockdown fishing trip

Houseplant

FINALLY got back out on the water yesterday after a 2.5 month hiatus. Normal service has resumed!

Fished my local bit of water, here in Northern NZ. Lovely conditions. First drop of jig and was fiddling with my GoPro, then realised that my jig should have been falling for a lot longer than it actually did. Brain kicked in to gear, "wind, wind, wind"! Connected with the kingfish. 45 minute fight on light tackle before the beast conceded.

Fish was bled and packed in ice immediately. So far we have eaten it as sashimi, sushi and kokonda (Pacifica ceviche). The rest has been frozen and will be cooked one way or another. 

GOPR1614-2.jpg

Thanks for the replies. As for bleeding, it depends on the species. With white fleshed fish, I don't bother, although some people think it is worthwhile. It definitely makes a difference with kingfish and other fish which have a higher proportion of red meat. Bleeding results in a smaller "blood line" which is usually cut out when filleting.

Thanks mate. A fish like that can certainly turn the ski around, but to say it would drag it would be a stretch. The ski plus fishing gear and me weighs 500kg. Back in my kayak fishing days, I would get towed around by kingfish, even more so when a shark grabbed the kingfish. That was fun! 😀

A short video from that trip, just me pulling a few fish out the ocean. Fairly standard morning apart from the kingfish which was bigger than average for the area. I did see dolphins on the way home, but couldn't be bothered juggling the GoPro, so didn't film them. Next time!

Edited by Houseplant

On 02/06/2020 at 17:47, Old farrier said:

Always enjoy your posts cracking fish 

dose bleeding them change the flavour much if you don’t mind me asking 

thanks for posting 👍😊

I bleed all my fish now by cutting the gills on one side cod/pollock/mackerel makes a lot of difference and the fish die quickly.

21 hours ago, henry d said:

I bleed all my fish now by cutting the gills on one side cod/pollock/mackerel makes a lot of difference and the fish die quickly.

On that note, all my fish, whether bled or not, get iki jimi (worth a Google). Fish die instantly and taste better. Win, win! Memories of the old days of fish flapping about until their last gasp seem barbaric now. 

On 08/06/2020 at 11:44, Old farrier said:

I’m going to give it a try next time I catch a decent fish 🐟😊😊

Go for it, I think it firms up the flesh, there is less discoloration where there are veins and although I can't say definitely, it seems to taste better, but that is subjective.