Welsh shooters to loose license if they go to England to shoot

Afternoon :)

Today, all over my facebook there a loads of posts, WCTSCA including saying that if you go to England to shoot and are stopped either going or coming back that you will be fined and you will loose your license.

Anybody got any insight on what law this comes under - as even the First Minister in his weekly briefing on Friday said that people on the borders can go to England etc and that 5 miles was only a recommendation/guideline??

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

47 minutes ago, discobob said:

As I said - it is on the WCTSA page - I don't know if I am comfortable with the language that is being used TBH

Ask them if you’ll lose your driving license also, and if not, why not. 
Sounds like a load of 💩 to me.

Unfortunately Scully the whole thing has been a load of poppycock with the Government being directed by over educated idiots just making wild guesses and Police Chiefs seeing this as a chance to use their believed power. The whole thing has brought the police force into disrepute and guess who will take the brunt....the lads and lasses on the front line not the ones sipping their Malvern water up in the 'Gods'.   I have shot on the moors on the English Scottish Border and believe me those grouse up there do not have a clue where the boundary is and you only had to walk around a  peat hag to find yourself in either of the two regions.  Fortunately in the main, the general public has had enough and I have been out and about this morning and everyone is being sensible, businesses are up and running and the sign of 'normal' is the traffic flow which is also back to normal. 

1 hour ago, greylag said:

Complete poppycock.If you are on crop protection you can go further than 5 miles providing you have a letter of permission from the landowner or farmer.You can download a letter from the BASC website.

Can you post a link to that please.  My reading of the BASC website is that pest control is in England only. Their letter is also only for England.

There was a post on a group on facebook with an email from gwent firearms I think and they said if you went shooting your licence would be reviewed. I also emailed dyfed powys ad they said

Many thanks for your email. The Government has issued specific and clear instructions that people MUST stay at home and avoid ALL non-essential travel/activities.

It therefore follows that shooting should not take place for non- essential purposes.

There are exceptions therefore and as far as your specific queries re concerned  and in order to ensure a consistent  response to such queries I refer you to The British Association for Shooting & Conservation - BASC Web site which following enquiries with Government Sources have published advice and guidance on continuation of shooting.

So you have the pest control angle to test but personally I am sitting tight. Spent a lot of money last year on equipment and last thing I want is to risk the licence 

Greylag I have down load letter and got farmer to sign it I was out Monday night rabbiting never seen a copper anywhere but plenty of holiday makes as fields I shoot over look some lovely beaches in North Wales.

So this 5 mile travel is not applying to people out side Wales I wonder how many of them have firearms licenses that don’t give a hoot

9 hours ago, Boristhedog said:

Can you post a link to that please.  My reading of the BASC website is that pest control is in England only. Their letter is also only for England.

BASC website on coronavirus advice.Also if in doubt contact them and they were very helpful when I spoke to them.

from what was said by the government,they say you can travel any distance in england,but not go over the border into wales or scotland were rules are different than ours.,so cpsa are correct in their interpretation.

The guidance says you can't cross the border. The penalty for doing so is a £60 fine - reduced to £30 if you pay quickly. How on earth does that equate to getting your ticket revoked?

It's not a "grey area" It's absolute poppycock.

Another question to be raised to ALL of the shooting organisations is

"what is the right and wrong in these situations" 

No grey areas, simple terms, black and white, all of them really should be on these reports (true or false) look into them and inform their members before it get momentum. 

49 minutes ago, Dougy said:

Another question to be raised to ALL of the shooting organisations is

"what is the right and wrong in these situations" 

No grey areas, simple terms, black and white, all of them really should be on these reports (true or false) look into them and inform their members before it get momentum. 

Dougy, have you banged your head?

Clarity with any involvement of shooting does not happen.

The Home Office issue guidelines that the Police interpret as they see fit and our shooting associations cannot even get together to voice one solid opinion!

2 hours ago, walshie said:

The guidance says you can't cross the border. The penalty for doing so is a £60 fine - reduced to £30 if you pay quickly. How on earth does that equate to getting your ticket revoked?

It's not a "grey area" It's absolute poppycock.

What people were saying to Devon and Cornwall police when they were being stopped for going to the beaches was "so fine me, its only £30"

Its not enough

45 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Dougy, have you banged your head?

Clarity with any involvement of shooting does not happen.

The Home Office issue guidelines that the Police interpret as they see fit and our shooting associations cannot even get together to voice one solid opinion!

I think it needs banging, it will probably wake me up. The problem with each and every one of the organisations is swayed more to business and profit rather than to stand up for what we expect them to stand up for, which is sold to us as "supporting our sport". A bit off topic here but compare us to the ANTI organizers their light years ahead. 

1 hour ago, Vince Green said:

What people were saying to Devon and Cornwall police when they were being stopped for going to the beaches was "so fine me, its only £30"

Its not enough

Missing the point. If it was £30 or £1000, the penalty is whatever they stated. it isn't taking someone's guns off them and revoking their tickets. They can't make up laws and penalties at will. 

Just seen this on basc

Wales
Outdoor recreational activities, including shooting, may take place locally, defined as not travelling further than five miles. Shooting activities include target shooting, recreational pest control and recreational deer stalking.

The essential control of pest birds and mammals is a reasonable excuse to travel further than your local area. BASC has contacted DCC Dave Orford, national police lead for firearms licensing, to ensure all four Welsh police forces are issuing consistent and fair advice to firearms licence holders.

Click here for the latest Government guidance for Wales.

1 hour ago, walshie said:

Missing the point. If it was £30 or £1000, the penalty is whatever they stated. it isn't taking someone's guns off them and revoking their tickets. They can't make up laws and penalties at will. 

If you have a criminal record you can lose your ticket, that's not making up laws. You have to be of good character

Edited by Vince Green