Other Occupants Form - a new one on me

On 04/06/2020 at 22:30, quentyn said:

indeed this one doesnt 

https://www.lancashire.police.uk/media/1343129/firearms-licencing-co-residence-form.pdf

and even has "To be completed and returned with the application form. The following Information is required in respect of all occupants of the property:"

and 

"

Checklist:

Please ensure that you have enclosed the following with your Firearms/Shotgun application:

• Completed Firearm/Shotgun Form.
  • Completed Medical Pro Forma.
  • Completed Other Occupants Form."

This is my force.

It also says: Please note that all incomplete applications will be returned to you in full and may delay your application.

I was speaking to a shooting friend this weekend and he said just send in what they request and get your ticket, it's only every 5 years after all. 

The trouble is it will as others have said lead to slippery slope of more forms and regulations.

I'm sure there must be others here who have renewed with Lancashire recently, what did you do? 

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, mossy835 said:

avon @somerset dont, and no doctors form,and we dont get a visit or phone call. just renewal in post.they are very good and all ways have been.

This is the thing, I don't believe the GP letter is statutory, would it be worth ignoring that as well? 

I always send a polite cover letter with my application. Perhaps include the fact I have not sent in any forms that are not required by law and that if the application is returned or refused I will make a formal complaint. 

Or just fill the forms in. get the GP's letter (at cost) and have done with it. 

I think we must have a check of some kind, not sure I like the Avon & Somerset approach but on the other hand we do not have ;the form' or a GP fee to pay either.  'The form' seems odd in that does it follow the census requirement 'all persons resident at a certain time on a certain day' or does it actually define 'resident' or 'occupier' which is open to further debate?

To be completed and returned with the application form. The following Information is required in respect of all occupants of the property:

Surname:

Forenames (state all):

Previous Surname(s):

Previous forename(s):

Date of Birth:

Place of Birth:

Relationship:

That's what the top of the form says followed by two pages of the above list. 

My last renewal five years ago was the easiest I've ever had. 

Filled in the main form with one referee who didn't need to be a civil servant etc.. sent it off with the fee and photos. 

One phone call to myself and one to my referee and before I knew it, my new licence arrived. 

Why do they have to complicate things? 

9 minutes ago, Patterdale Terrier said:

I think we must have a check of some kind, not sure I like the Avon & Somerset approach but on the other hand we do not have ;the form' or a GP fee to pay either.  'The form' seems odd in that does it follow the census requirement 'all persons resident at a certain time on a certain day' or does it actually define 'resident' or 'occupier' which is open to further debate?

if you have nothing to hide,with medical or any  thing eles,there nothing wrong with avon@somerset approach,its all on computer if you have been a bad boy.we dont need forms in the way,witch they make up.

Sorry about this but here comes a 'low ball'.  You complete the application form with your address.  You store your guns in your own cabinet at your uncle's house in the next county. Do you think it is relevant to the FLO to know who the occupants are at your address or those occupants at your uncles address?  Similarly you complete the form today with no other occupants and submit it.  Tomorrow your son and his wife arrive with their son who is just out of prison on a minor charge.  Any guidance provided on how to update the 'occupants form' in the next five years?  So what is the point of it?

Sorry, fail to grasp the perceived purpose of this 

Update:

Yesterday I emailed BASC with a brief explanation of the issue. 

I received a call back this morning. Very pleasant and interesting. 

Without going into all the details the conclusion was, how much of fight am I prepared to give? 

He said that the wording in the firearms act/s give the police a number of loopholes to get away with this. 

I think I'll draw a line under it and send off the requested information. 

My GP will make a charge of £35 for the medical verification letter. 

Just now, B725 said:

I've had to pay £50 today, I was told it would not be sent until I have paid it.

Do you mean your GP will not send the letter to you or the police? 

The way I'm being asked to do it is post a template letter to the surgery, the doctor will fill it in and then I will collect it and pay the fee. Then I will send it with my renewal application. 

Yes it was a pre written letter by the police as if I had done it for the Dr. The Dr was happy to send it via NHS secure email but not until I I paid the £50 that was done with online banking. I phoned the surgery to ask if I could drop it off for the Dr and they were fine about it. Derbyshire are now asking for the renewal to be sent 12 week's before it runs out. I did mine online yesterday but I didn't find it that easy and needed a bit of help. The police also had the money straight away.

10 minutes ago, B725 said:

Yes it was a pre written letter by the police as if I had done it for the Dr. The Dr was happy to send it via NHS secure email but not until I I paid the £50 that was done with online banking. I phoned the surgery to ask if I could drop it off for the Dr and they were fine about it. Derbyshire are now asking for the renewal to be sent 12 week's before it runs out. I did mine online yesterday but I didn't find it that easy and needed a bit of help. The police also had the money straight away.

It would appear that Lancashire are still doing it all by post and cheque payment. 

I also have the pre-written letter to send in. With this Covid-19 business they don't seem to want people going into the surgery, though they seem happy enough for me to go in and collect the letter along with the payment. 

Did you have to fill in an "Other Occupants" form? 

Just to add that BASC told me that as long you get your renewal into the police at least 8 weeks prior to expiry they will grant you an 8 week extension on your current licence. This is due to the Covid-19. 

You can still do it by cheque and post in Derbyshire,doing it online there wasn't any mention of " other occupants " . It was written in red ink that no response from the Dr then no certificate will be issued.

It did also say the preferred method was online,what a faff that was attaching a picture when you're not that savvy.

Edited by B725

I did my renewal online on Sunday afternoon and had a reply on Tuesday stating that they will not proceed as I didn't send the Dr's letter with it. I didn't have and not seen the letter done by the Dr. It also stated that if emailed it had to be by NHS secure email, I had confirmation this morning that it's now been sent, 

On 11/06/2020 at 12:04, B725 said:

I did my renewal online on Sunday afternoon and had a reply on Tuesday stating that they will not proceed as I didn't send the Dr's letter with it. I didn't have and not seen the letter done by the Dr. It also stated that if emailed it had to be by NHS secure email, I had confirmation this morning that it's now been sent, 

I've asked my GP to return the letter to me so I can send it all at once with the application. 

Mine has cost £35.