The one that got away

I recently did a deal for some ammo, gun, fishing tackle bulk buy.

Maybe not such a great deal now as apart from the gun being as new  unfired, everything else has needed attention.

Ammo keeps missfiring or not firing, as seen in this vid, you see the red dot dip as I pull the trigger. Its definitely the ammo as it doesn't fire in any other gun either.

A swap of ammo and:

That reminds me of a cheap deal I had some time ago, went to a gun shop to buy a Mossburg pump on sale, on the counter were plastic bags full of cartridges which had no printing on the sides, no names ,sizes etc but very cheap, so I bought the gun and a bag of 50, between missfires and very small shot size I did not hit a single bird with the whole bagfull, to make matters worse the gun failed to eject cartridges and after 3 times back in the shop for repairs I finally gave up and got my money back, 

These days I pay for best cartridges and only use my trusty Beretta Urika semi, missfires and jams are a thing of the past. 

Edited by lakeside1000

2 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

A great shame, what was the ammo?

Diana, 30g x 6s x 65mm, they worked out at about £3 or £4 for 100 with lots of other stuff.

I think they've been kept in the damp or frozen? Some fizzly then sort of poooof.

Nothing to complain about for what they cost, just frustrating to find out in the field. Thought the gun was faulty at first. I now have a few other "hundreds" to try between 28gram and 42gram. 

I plan to visit a friendly chap who allows me to test fire only, and run a couple out of each box. RFD can dispose of them safely if I'm not happy.

4 hours ago, old'un said:

What was the range of the shot on the ground? the shot looks low compared to the red dot.

If you continue to use those cartridges be careful you don’t end up with a wad half way up the barrel. :good:

About 40 - 45 yards, furthest decoy was 30.

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

Drop the lead out and offer it on here. I'm sure one or two of us reloaders could use it. Your not a million miles away.   The primers can then just be popped or as I do because I have the room , they go on my bonfire. Makes a right rattle.

I'd not thought about that, I know a few who reload. Good idea, thanks.

1 hour ago, London Best said:

The problem with the one that got away appears to be that you missed. 

The gun needs to go bang, before you can claim a miss.😉

16 hours ago, London Best said:

I thought the shot went low and to the left with maybe one pellet hitting the crow?

Possibly as it flapped its wings when being retrieved and scared the dog. Dead when I picked it up, less than a couple of mins later. Blood and pellet(s) in the neck area.

Very close to being a miss or a pricked bird.

27 minutes ago, London Best said:

I assume the trigger could be worked on, but I know nothing about that type of gun.

No I'm afraid I don't either,  I bought it as a rough/hide gun.

Something I need not worry about too much as long as it works. Regular clean after use, just got to get used to it. Need some lead in the air to see how it shoots. Choked as skeet at mo but may change to 1/4 later.

Just now, London Best said:

IMO, the choke’s just fine, it’s the trigger causing you to pull the shot off

Just checked the choke, its cylinder.

I think you're right as I noticed it was heavy. I'll have to try and remember when using it.

Only had it a short while and not enough lead through it yet but I noticed on a couple of vids that the red dot dips low left as I fire.

Hopefully I'll get some shots off tomorrow.