Crop ID please

PPP

8 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Oats?

+1 deffinitely , however it may be a few wild oats coming through on a crop of wheat, oats used to be a very common crop grown for horse feed etc, put through rollers ( rolled oats ) to make them more digestible but not so popular these days with much better options.

Along with black grass which also grows in crops like wheat and barley , if they are the wild variety they will be very unwelcome to the farm and are very labour intensive to try to eradicate.

Thanks, I think that these are deliberately sown as they are throughout the field and have been drilled in rows.  The farm has large Livery yard, maybe a move to self sufficiency?

Are they attractive to Pigeons?  Didn't appear to be much interest when they went in...

1 minute ago, PPP said:

Thanks, I think that these are deliberately sown as they are throughout the field and have been drilled in rows.  The farm has large Livery yard, maybe a move to self sufficiency?

Are they attractive to Pigeons?  Didn't appear to be much interest when they went in...

They can be, keep watching!

Still quite a fair acreage grown for your porridge. The shorter stemmed varieties now developed from the days back in the 40s and 50s when oats would be five ..even 6ft high.

The straw would be used for thatch and all our potato clamps would be 'thatched' with oat straw then have a layer of soil added to protect from frost.

That picture doesn't show wild oats which are quite a bit smaller in the grain size.

37 minutes ago, 243deer said:

Before the pigeons get on them (unless downed by wind/rain) the deer will be having their munch, they love oats.

Interesting, thanks, the fields that the deer are usually in are Spring barley, I'll keep an eye open!

You can use oat straw as feed too. It's softer and more pliable than other cereal straw and sweetened with molasses both sheep and cattle love it. 

As for the pigeons, probably one of my best day's decoying ever was over a field of oats. But for the pigeons to really get on it, you need the crop to have gone down and as Walker570 says the new varieties are much shorter stemmed and so are probably less likely to lie over. But on the right day and in the right circumstances the woodies will go mad for oats. Definitely worth kepping an eye on.

Good luck finding shot birds though! 

18 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

You can use oat straw as feed too. It's softer and more pliable than other cereal straw and sweetened with molasses both sheep and cattle love it. 

As for the pigeons, probably one of my best day's decoying ever was over a field of oats. But for the pigeons to really get on it, you need the crop to have gone down and as Walker570 says the new varieties are much shorter stemmed and so are probably less likely to lie over. But on the right day and in the right circumstances the woodies will go mad for oats. Definitely worth kepping an eye on.

Good luck finding shot birds though! 

Thanks for tip!  My spaniel can find anything, quite amazing.. its the rest of the task that is erratic..