Excessive Barking in Cocker Spaniel

PPP

My 3 year old Cocker spaniel is driving me around the twist, she has always been highly spirited and tough to train but she has the basics nailed and behaves superbly if we are in a  situation anywhere similar to any kind of shooting, but at home she is a pain and has got worse in lockdown.

Our neighbour (house is probably 2/300M away but wee share a fence, is an inconsiderate packham (worst profanity i can think of) who leaves his untrained feral English sheep dog to bark all the time as its doesn't bother him as the fing thing always gravitates to my boundary.  This barking sets my dog loopy (she wont react to other dogs) Im not sure if its the pitch or what .. the problem is that my other neighbours JRT then gets set off and so my piece and quiet working from the office in the garden is shattered.

We have a sonic gun that the dog initially gave heed to but now just laughs, we have also been using gravel in a milk bottle (plastic) which is starting to lose its edge.

All suggestions short of rehoming the dog appreciated.

3 hours ago, PPP said:

My 3 year old Cocker spaniel is driving me around the twist, she has always been highly spirited and tough to train but she has the basics nailed and behaves superbly if we are in a  situation anywhere similar to any kind of shooting, but at home she is a pain and has got worse in lockdown.

Our neighbour (house is probably 2/300M away but wee share a fence, is an inconsiderate packham (worst profanity i can think of) who leaves his untrained feral English sheep dog to bark all the time as its doesn't bother him as the fing thing always gravitates to my boundary.  This barking sets my dog loopy (she wont react to other dogs) Im not sure if its the pitch or what .. the problem is that my other neighbours JRT then gets set off and so my piece and quiet working from the office in the garden is shattered.

We have a sonic gun that the dog initially gave heed to but now just laughs, we have also been using gravel in a milk bottle (plastic) which is starting to lose its edge.

speak to the neighbour and tell him to shut his dog up?

Failing that you could try the following but it’s a bit of a dirty trick ... 

You sneak over the neighbours fence when he isn’t looking, grab his dog and climb back over onto your side with his dog ... then put the dog down on your side and let it bark ... see how he likes it!!!! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

If you have space on your side put up an electric fence get the dogs seperated.

My cocker tends to get obsessive with things (last one was chewing the galvanised water tank, prior to that its getting in the tank, or putting his head in a mouse hole) any one of which can occupy him for hours. The only way I can break these things is to make them unplesent or I distract. I cant spend all my time distracting him so I find a way to make the obsessive behaviour unattractive. 

10 hours ago, oowee said:

If you have space on your side put up an electric fence get the dogs seperated.

My cocker tends to get obsessive with things (last one was chewing the galvanised water tank, prior to that its getting in the tank, or putting his head in a mouse hole) any one of which can occupy him for hours. The only way I can break these things is to make them unplesent or I distract. I cant spend all my time distracting him so I find a way to make the obsessive behaviour unattractive. 

Thanks, this makes so much sense... I’ve ordered a bark stop collar as a starting point.. the sodding sheepdog bark carries for miles, it’s such an odd tone..

It just seems a bit mean to me to punish your dog when he’s only barking because of the neighbours... I get that it’s a right pain and you need to get your dog used to other dogs barking without reacting so that’s fair ... but I’d also be giving the neighbour a lot of bother telling him to sort his bloody dog out since it’s the root cause of the problem. 

On 03/06/2020 at 13:44, PPP said:

Diary, recordings, Council Environmental Health for the sheep dog neighbour.

For yours, anti bark collar.

6 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

It just seems a bit mean to me to punish your dog when he’s only barking because of the neighbours... I get that it’s a right pain and you need to get your dog used to other dogs barking without reacting so that’s fair ... but I’d also be giving the neighbour a lot of bother telling him to sort his bloody dog out since it’s the root cause of the problem. 

I agree, if this individual had any intellect at all but he’s a flipping loony, to be fair I think He’s clinically mentally unwell, certainly unhinged, smashes his house up and screams and shouts... Mows the lawn in his slippers and underpants ... I don’t want to get into a dialogue with him., luckily the way the houses are laid out His house is quite a way from mine, just a garden boundary.

laxative chocolate over the fence every night the neighbour will get fed up of cleaning up in the morning and rehome the dog if indoors       for your dog sort the catalyst out no more problems saves punishing it as possibly frustrated by barking as you are 

Is it dog running free in ur garden??

Mibbee worth building a kennel and run for ur dog at far side of garden, and leave a radio on mibbee a few good meaty bones tochew on.

Try to distance ur dog and take it out equation.

Might be fairer on the dog than a citernella collar, the stink it will put up a dog sensitive nose will be hard on the dog and last for a while.