Ordering a Rifle (online)

A few months ago, I placed an order for a Howa 1500 Stealth 2 package and was quoted a price of £1439. Because of the lockdown etc etc, I have just been sent an email by the company who have now stated that the price ( quoted to them by the importers) is £1654 (+ £215:00) I have already paid a deposit of £200. Am I in my rights to have the package at the agreed price (with no mention of prices increasing) and is the RFD who I placed the order with, in the right to increase the price, bearing in mind that the £1439 was agreed and a deposit paid. As far as I'm concerned the price agreed between us, and deposit paid on that price is a contract.

I only went with the RFD as he quoted me the cheapest price for the package deal, and is still (by a small margin) still cheaper even at the new price quoted, so it's pointless going elsewhere as I've checked other RFD's.

4 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I hope your contract with the RFD stands especially as you paid a deposit!

That's what I am thinking, and intend to seek legal advice on this if need be. I have emailed the RFD stating this.

1 minute ago, rapid .25 said:

If you're a member of Basc I would definitely contact there legal team steve, good luck mate.

Good thinking. I am a member and will contact them tomorrow. Thanks.

4 minutes ago, Medic1281 said:

I’d imagine though that they will have retained the right to cancel the order and return deposits if they want to. So, be careful as they may well just do that. And you’ll be left without a rifle.

And then he can name and shame the RFD!

1 minute ago, old'un said:

If it’s a reputable company they should honour the agreed price at the time of deposit.

“Am I in my rights to have the package at the agreed price” simple answer, no, they are not obliged to sell you the gun.

The annoying thing is that even with the increased price, it's still cheaper (£68) than anyone else who could supply the package. So even with a full refund of my deposit, it's going to cosy me more. I 'think' the RFD is a reputable company.

15 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

And then he can name and shame the RFD!

I don’t think that will make much difference to the trader, the c-19 lockdown must have hit them in the pocket as much as anyone, don’t think they would be willing to take such a hit at this time.

12 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

The annoying thing is that even with the increased price, it's still cheaper (£68) than anyone else who could supply the package. So even with a full refund of my deposit, it's going to cosy me more. I 'think' the RFD is a reputable company.

They maybe a reputable company but £215 is a big hit on their profits, I think you may have to pay-up or look elsewhere.

You could always have chat with them and see if they would be willing under the circumstances to meet you halfway.

3 minutes ago, old'un said:

I don’t think that will make much difference to the trader, the c-19 lockdown must have hit them in the pocket as much as anyone, don’t think they would be willing to take such a hit at this time.

They maybe a reputable company but £215 is a big hit on their profits, I think you may have to pay-up or look elsewhere.

You could always have chat with them and see if they would be willing under the circumstances to meet you halfway.

I will wait and see what the RFD says when he replies to my email. I did think about trying to work out a better price with them. In any case, I don't intend to name and shame.

6 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

I will wait and see what the RFD says when he replies to my email. I did think about trying to work out a better price with them. In any case, I don't intend to name and shame.

Just been talking to my wife who was in retail management and she said that’s the best approach but she also said they are under no obligation to sell you the gun.

Good luck.:good:

6 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

I've got every email between us, with the original price quoted and proof of deposit paid.

3 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Doesn’t make any difference sorry. They can withdraw from the sale and refund your deposit. 

Normally companies who honour the price advertised do so in good will. 

i understand what you and llyod 90 say.............just out of sheart cusedness i would accept my deposit back...give them the 2 fingers and bight the bullet and cough up extra elswhere......i think they are right out of order......and bad buisness practice

Sadly it’s force mature, just life I’m afraid... either accept new price or choose not to buy and accept deposit back.  Had the price reduced, you wouldn’t have wanted to stand by the agreed price I assume..

6 minutes ago, PPP said:

Sadly it’s force mature, just life I’m afraid... either accept new price or choose not to buy and accept deposit back.  Had the price reduced, you wouldn’t have wanted to stand by the agreed price I assume..

Had the price reduced they wouldn't have said anything!

Not sure force majeure really covers an increase in price when a contract is entered and a deposit is paid.

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE

29 minutes ago, ditchman said:

i understand what you and llyod 90 say.............just out of sheart cusedness i would accept my deposit back...give them the 2 fingers and bight the bullet and cough up extra elswhere......i think they are right out of order......and bad buisness practice

I'd do the same, then shout about it from the rooftops (or social media)

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

+1       It's a matter of principle, I personally would have to honor the agreed price.

10 hours ago, snow white said:

Definitely money back and go elsewhere never mind extra price 

Haggle with the next rfd, they may actually give you a better deal, given most most be keen to make sales at this time.

As others have said may be legal but not honourable, matter of principles.

Edited by rbrowning2

Tough one. I'd be pretty sure that the ''contract'' entered into when a deposit was paid would allow the seller to withdraw from the sale and return the deposit so legally I think they would be covered.

If I was in the sellers position I would probably ask to meet in the middle and as long as costs are met (very small profit margin on new guns) then I would be trying to keep a customer happy and hoping they would return.

If you had never used the RFD before and only went there after shopping around as well as the fact that they would be the cheapest even with the price increase then they might be reluctant to budge.

Is the next best price with or without the increase?

Edd

Guest cookoff013

i had a similar issue years ago. just before the stock market crash.

i ordered a merkel sxs. RFD wouldnt even entertain deposit of less than 100%. i asked for a written quote, £1600, i also had receipt and purchase number and signature. i paid in full. I then ended up waiting about 1-1.8 years. (yeah). when it finally arrived, there was a little "kerfuffle", as the purchase price changed from all the documents i have, it didnt triple  !  but was more than i was willing to pay. especial when i got quotes, and had a purchase agreement.

i was very prepared to walk away, after nearly 2 year wait. i was done. got my quote and receipt, i was seriously willing to walk away with my original £1600. 

2 hours ago, eddoakley said:

Tough one. I'd be pretty sure that the ''contract'' entered into when a deposit was paid would allow the seller to withdraw from the sale and return the deposit so legally I think they would be covered.

If I was in the sellers position I would probably ask to meet in the middle and as long as costs are met (very small profit margin on new guns) then I would be trying to keep a customer happy and hoping they would return.

If you had never used the RFD before and only went there after shopping around as well as the fact that they would be the cheapest even with the price increase then they might be reluctant to budge.

Is the next best price with or without the increase?

Edd

It seems that the other RFD's who have this package on sale, have also increased their prices slightly. If I were to cancel my order and go elsewhere, it would cost me another £68 on top of the new price already quoted. I'm waiting for a response from the RFD.