Forged with Steele

walshie

I've been catching up on a few of these programs lately. Does anyone watch it?

Alec Steel is a young English blacksmith living in the U.S. Undoubtedly he has skills. The stuff he makes is top notch, but my only qualm is why does he insist on making everything out of Damascus steel?

Obivously it looks nicer, but his programs are only 30 minutes long including adverts and each program involves 15 minutes watching him forge weld the Damascus then the remaining 10-15 minutes crams in the whole process of forging it to shape, quenching it, sharpening it and fitting the handle. I'd rather watch the making of the blade.

Talented kid though. 

4 minutes ago, walshie said:

I've been catching up on a few of these programs lately. Does anyone watch it?

Alec Steel is a young English blacksmith living in the U.S. Undoubtedly he has skills. The stuff he makes is top notch, but my only qualm is why does he insist on making everything out of Damascus steel?

Obivously it looks nicer, but his programs are only 30 minutes long including adverts and each program involves 15 minutes watching him forge weld the Damascus then the remaining 10-15 minutes crams in the whole process of forging it to shape, quenching it, sharpening it and fitting the handle. I'd rather watch the making of the blade.

Talented kid though. 

Because he can sell it for a higher price!

2 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Surely if he takes 100 hours to make a knife he could never sell it for enough money to make it worthwhile.

Just now, vmaxphil said:

I do watch it but is getting a bit repetitive with yet another sword, I prefer it when he mends machines like the new power hammer 

Agreed. 

7 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

He is a very talented black smith.

If you don't already watch it, forged in fire is another good black smith, knife making programme.

Yeah. Great program. Put down your tools. This round is overrr!

alec steele is from norwich and by all acc's he is way up his own rear..............

17 minutes ago, stumfelter said:

On about TV programmes anybody else watching Bob Ross on BBC 4 at 7 pm?

morbidly facinating and totally hideous stuff.............dare i say it ....rolf harris was better...at least you got a song from him at the end ...

3 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

I used to wonder how the two blokes on Wheeler Dealers made any money. As they never costed their labour. Then I realised that of course the money wasn't in the car but in the fees they received for the actual programme as one of them was its producer or somesuch.

So true, one of my first telly jobs was a thing for ITV where two antique experts went round flea markets buying stuff to then shift on at auction. They might make £500 profit per episode but it would have taken two people about three or four days plus petrol and everything else so a massive loss - the viewing public don’t realise it’s all fake and are inspired to follow them

1 hour ago, The Mighty Prawn said:

So true, one of my first telly jobs was a thing for ITV where two antique experts went round flea markets buying stuff to then shift on at auction. They might make £500 profit per episode but it would have taken two people about three or four days plus petrol and everything else so a massive loss - the viewing public don’t realise it’s all fake and are inspired to follow them

Oh Lord those programmes used to seriously annoy me. Buying stuff from dealers to sell at auctions used mostly by dealers. And then wodering why they'd not achieved a price anywhere near the table price. Especially the preening idiot in the red trousers and the leg action at the end. I know where I hoped someone would insert their foot.

And that other programme with the one that looked like he was related to Mr Qourange. I used to watch getting wound up when the professional dealers gave in to their whining punter asking "Can you go another tenner?" I had to go out of the room if either was showing if I was at my late mother's house. It was like a torture watching either.

P0.jpg

Edited by enfieldspares

16 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

He doesn't sell the vast majority of the things he makes. His business model is focused on YouTube ad generation and sponsorship deals, with a bit of merch on the side and the odd churn out of hammers etc. Though he is becoming much more commercial in the merch sector and is starting to make his own gear to sell; making gloves, aprons etc for smithing.

On 03/06/2020 at 23:05, AVB said:

I like watching it but that judge with the stupid grin who says “it will cut” annoys me. I have the urge to run him through with one of the knives. 

How dare you speak about Doug like that! He will Keel you!