car insurance increase

big bad lindz

Looks like they have all jumped up a bit as they do every year.  Very little actually goes down, although at least one local garage has dropped petrol to 103.7 so of petrol stays at that price you'll save the extra insurance on fuel bills.

Hah!! Just noticed where you are, so any drop in the high price of petrol up there is unlikely.

Edited by Walker570

14 hours ago, Dougy said:

Just insured my Truck this Tuesday and it was cheaper than the previous year and that was the same company Admiral. 

Same here, my car insurance has dropped £21 from last year, (not Admiral)...............but still the same company I used last year.

When trawling for new insurance quotes ensure that you are comparing like for like. It is quite common for new quotes to include an inflated excess figure which will artificially reduce the premium.

Another thing to watch out for is the inclusion of a clause stating that automatic renewal is in force. In other words if you don't tell your current company that you are not renewing with them they will go ahead and renew the policy using the card details that they have from the previous year assuming that you paid by card.

Vic.

36 minutes ago, VicW said:

When trawling for new insurance quotes ensure that you are comparing like for like. It is quite common for new quotes to include an inflated excess figure which will artificially reduce the premium.

Another thing to watch out for is the inclusion of a clause stating that automatic renewal is in force. In other words if you don't tell your current company that you are not renewing with them they will go ahead and renew the policy using the card details that they have from the previous year assuming that you paid by card.

Vic.

100% :good:

I actually read the small print, and compare excess, legal protection, protected no claims, courtesy car and all the rest. i got caught out years ago by a company that only insured for 10 months, sounded quite good at the time and it was a price that i could afford. but was without insurance for 2 months and defaulted on insurance, cost me dearly, so once bitten. 

Last year at renewal mine went up by around 70 quid, so I went on one of those comparison sites and found a like for like with my present insurer for a tenner more than I had paid last year! I phoned them and mentioned this, and a very nice lady had a look for me and when it was all sorted I renewed for thirty quid less than I’d paid the year before! 🙂

I just had a quote to put a second vehicle on the road, shooting/fishing only. Just over £200 as I can't use my NCB on a second vehicle. Last time I did this it was £35 per year fully comp. Just 9 years ago. Giving it a miss this time, just have to be more careful with the Volvo. 

We should see some benefit from lockdown on motor as there will be a massive saving from 10wks of 90% drop off in traffic particularly in urban areas where most crashes occur. I know other forms of insurance may suffer - travel, business interruption etc although there are  some refusing claims - but increases on motor must be minimal or none. If your renewal increases shop around.

On 06/06/2020 at 08:45, Centrepin said:

I just had a quote to put a second vehicle on the road, shooting/fishing only. Just over £200 as I can't use my NCB on a second vehicle. Last time I did this it was £35 per year fully comp. Just 9 years ago. Giving it a miss this time, just have to be more careful with the Volvo. 

Some of the companies allow you to mirror your no NCB on to another policy.

We started leaving Direct line at the start of the year and are moving over to Churchill as the renewals come up ,Direct line has no loyalty bonus they wait till you phone up then offer you a discount but after 17 years i said stuff that im leaving your only  interested in new members maybe see you in a year , saving nearly £100 a time swapping over  

Aye 3 cars and the house for 17 years and that gives them the right to keep putting it up because you don't have to do anything we renew it automatically 

Well hell no the trucks tax  costs £560 over a pound a day if i drive it or not so the savings will help there 

1 hour ago, Bigbob said:

Aye 3 cars and the house for 17 years and that gives them the right to keep putting it up because you don't have to do anything we renew it automatically 

Well hell no the trucks tax  costs £560 over a pound a day if i drive it or not so the savings will help there 

When my truck tax was due last month I put a SORN on it as it hadn’t turned a wheel for 7 weeks during lockdown. If it stays off the road for just a month I save nearly £50. If I do need it for any reason I only have to pick up the phone.

Mine went up about £90 on top of the £50 last year. So a quick phone call got nowhere and the search was on for someone else.

This was with Aviva, and it didn't take long to get better cover for £95 cheaper than last year with a company called Quote me happy. Stupid name and you would think a **** company. Guess what, they are underwritten and owned in a round about way by Aviva||| 

Many many  years ago when I lived in Norfolk, I had a friend who worked for Norwich Union. I asked him how to beat the car insurance firms. He told me to ring around the major players as there was always going to be one that would offer a good deal to get the business. That firm would then expect to retain 80% of those new customers when renewal price rises came around. This was before the days of the internet and mobile phones and easy searches on comparison sites.

As ever the magic time to start looking for a better deal is 4 weeks before your renewal date.

Good luck, get out there and find a better deal.

13 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Just think what you would have saved over 16 years!

No because we used to go to go compare and often they would price match but the last couple of years they couldnt and then this year a got a snotty little madam on the phone and that sealed the deal  

12 hours ago, London Best said:

When my truck tax was due last month I put a SORN on it as it hadn’t turned a wheel for 7 weeks during lockdown. If it stays off the road for just a month I save nearly £50. If I do need it for any reason I only have to pick up the phone.

ive worked right threw this its the wifes car thats been put up the drive , i do 4 on 4 off so when im off we just use the truck all the time 

11 hours ago, The Heron said:

Every year I am with a different company same thing with the gas and electricity supply 

That seems to be the way to go they offer no discount for loyalty