help &advice ..cameras

ditchman

my camera has just died...its quite old so no surprises....trouble is i use it alot......

it is a Lumix 12 mega pixels....with a cable to my computor to down load pics.........it can do fairly good close up (macro).......i need to replace it with something similar or even better....i have a budget of £180 quid...........what do you boys and gals recommend...............

it needs to be simple (like the new owner).......

cheers

I was in a similar situation and needed a relatively simple camra to take a whole range of shots from Macro through to a fairly long lens and I purchased a Fuji FinePix S6800 which I still have and it has served me well. Nuttin fancy, but it takes acdeptable shots.

Edited by Walker570

2 hours ago, ditchman said:

my camera has just died...its quite old so no surprises....trouble is i use it alot......

it is a Lumix 12 mega pixels....with a cable to my computor to down load pics.........it can do fairly good close up (macro).......i need to replace it with something similar or even better....i have a budget of £180 quid...........what do you boys and gals recommend...............

cheers

Simon go on YouTube and do a search , there will be reviews on many in your budget  . For that money you should get something  decent  , dont buy secondhand  . You can be buying someone else's troubles.  

8 hours ago, redial said:

You could buy a nice old film camera for that budget.

i have a nice old film camera an old cannon............but i need the digital one for downloading pics on the forum..

9 hours ago, johnphilip said:

Simon go on YouTube and do a search , there will be reviews on many in your budget  . For that money you should get something  decent  , dont buy secondhand  . You can be buying someone else's troubles.  

to be fair this one was 2nd hand 10 years ago.........and ive been very lucky....but i would like a new one that is more powerful ...sort of

8 hours ago, redial said:

You could buy a nice old film camera for that budget.

Ok let's work out how fast a digital camera pays for its self . Not sure of the price of film and development  of a 36 exposure  these day . Let's say £ 10 . Probably  more .

Ok £ 180 devided by 10  is 18 . So 18 times 36 ( film count) is 648 shots .

So after simon has taken 648 shot the camera has payed for itself.  Film camera  are like record turntables , they are for the enthusiast  . I hated digital when it first came out , and said it would never replace film   but it has . The image quality is amazing . And will keep getting better , just look at the images a good mobile phone can produce . You can buy some of the top end cameras now for peanuts , a great shame , I have a two grand video camera worth nothing now .

11 hours ago, Walker570 said:

I was in a similar situation and needed a relatively simple camra to take a whole range of shots from Macro through to a fairly long lens and I purchased a Fuji FinePix S6800 which I still have and it has served me well. Nuttin fancy, but it takes acdeptable shots.

just had a look at that ....bit bulky....want something flat and oblong that can sit in my pocket ....

5 minutes ago, ditchman said:

just had a look at that ....bit bulky....want something flat and oblong that can sit in my pocket ....

Like an Old Holborn tin 😀  I would have though a modern phone would have covered your needs . You could get a very good one at that sort of money .

6 minutes ago, johnphilip said:

Like an Old Holborn tin 😀  I would have though a modern phone would have covered your needs . You could get a very good one at that sort of money .

Indeed...the forum really doesn't need huge pictures.  The macro function on any camera phone from the last 5 years will take pictures at a resolution suitable for this forum, surely?  Even then you'll probably end up reducing the size of the things.

59 minutes ago, johnphilip said:

havnt had a mobile phone for 12 years.......bloody things dont intend to have one now......

59 minutes ago, JTaylor91 said:

I don’t know much about cameras but would this fit the bill?

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/cameras-and-camcorders/digital-cameras/compact-and-bridge-cameras/sony-cyber-shot-dsc-wx350b-superzoom-compact-camera-black-22074691-pdt.html

searching around it seems to get good reviews

yeah thats the sort of thing .................but can i download pics from the camera onto the computor via a lead....as i dont have wi-fi....?

5 minutes ago, ditchman said:

havnt had a mobile phone for 12 years.......bloody things dont intend to have one now......

yeah thats the sort of thing .................but can i download pics from the camera onto the computor via a lead....as i dont have wi-fi....?

Says it can be connected by USB too.

image.png.fcf2963fb0dd8205be569955e51d7022.png

2 minutes ago, JTaylor91 said:

Says it can be connected by USB too.

image.png.fcf2963fb0dd8205be569955e51d7022.png

aaahhhhhh...................USB port.......thats the kiddy.............thanks for pointing that out........know what im looking for 

cheers

Don’t know if it’s the same for all brands but my Nikon from years ago has the same menu and layout as my other half’s modern one and even the same basic layout as my big slr so might be worth keeping to the same brand as the layout could be what you are used to. 

21 minutes ago, rovercoupe said:

Don’t know if it’s the same for all brands but my Nikon from years ago has the same menu and layout as my other half’s modern one and even the same basic layout as my big slr so might be worth keeping to the same brand as the layout could be what you are used to. 

good point

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

How do you mean you dont have wi fi ??  Who ever supplies your internet , must have provided you with a Modem for your house  ... oh please  dont tell me your nicking next doors  internet 🤣🤣

2 minutes ago, johnphilip said:

How do you mean you dont have wi fi ??  Who ever supplies your internet , must have provided you with a Modem for your house  ... oh please  dont tell me your nicking next doors  internet 🤣🤣

i just have a router which is connected to the commputor..........which is a tower  

Just now, supatex said:

According to Which, the best one in your price range is the CANON IXUS 285 HS. £169

yeah ive had a look at that

27 minutes ago, ditchman said:

i just have a router which is connected to the commputor..........which is a tower  

yeah ive had a look at that

Ok Simon  provided  your tower can receive  a wifi  ( wire free signal)   then no need for a cable . If your  new camera has wifi  then no need for cable  it would go camers to your router to your tower  

3 hours ago, ditchman said:

I also have an Olympus which does just that but I think a new one would be over your figure.  

Puechased this back when I was guiding, easy to carry in a shirt pocket and took very good photos.  

Mobile phones are so good now it is almost unnecessary to carry a camera for on the spot work.  This photo was taken with my mobile.

003.jpg

Edited by Walker570

22 hours ago, ditchman said:

Simon how about more of the same or very nearly,  lumix with a decent leica lens

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-DMC-TZ70EB-S-Compact-Digital-Camera/dp/B00T0DX0PK/ref=asc_df_B00T0DX0PK/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310106774344&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8689189541394537432&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9041104&hvtargid=pla-563117663169&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

14 hours ago, johnphilip said:

Ok let's work out how fast a digital camera pays for its self . Not sure of the price of film and development  of a 36 exposure  these day . Let's say £ 10 . Probably  more .

Ok £ 180 devided by 10  is 18 . So 18 times 36 ( film count) is 648 shots .

So after simon has taken 648 shot the camera has payed for itself.  Film camera  are like record turntables , they are for the enthusiast  . I hated digital when it first came out , and said it would never replace film   but it has . The image quality is amazing . And will keep getting better , just look at the images a good mobile phone can produce . You can buy some of the top end cameras now for peanuts , a great shame , I have a two grand video camera worth nothing now .

I appreciate and agree with your point. Just putting it out there, film cameras that were once out of the reach of many, including myself.Can now be purchased.

I think film will If it hasn't already become an art form. 

Cheers & Sunny 16.

Edit to add.

I am thinking of having a play with double 8mm cine, having picked up a camera.

Edited by redial