help &advice ..cameras

ditchman

9 hours ago, redial said:

I appreciate and agree with your point. Just putting it out there, film cameras that were once out of the reach of many, including myself.Can now be purchased.

I think film will If it hasn't already become an art form. 

Cheers & Sunny 16.

Edit to add.

I am thinking of having a play with double 8mm cine, having picked up a camera.

I still have all my  darkroom  equipment  in the loft , cost me  a fortune . No one wants it now. I have seen cameras like Bronicas and Hasselblad  selling for peanut. 

Edited by johnphilip

I have never used either WiFi or cable for transferring photos, just a card reader plugged into a USB port on the PC.   Card reader from Poundland seems to work as well as the ones from computer shops.    Wife's laptop has a built-in card reader.

On ‎04‎/‎06‎/‎2020 at 19:46, ditchman said:

my camera has just died...its quite old so no surprises ........ it is a Lumix 12 mega pixels....

Just out of interest, did it die completely?   Only asking because I used a Lumix TZ3 (pocket size, 7Mp, 10x zoom) for about 8 years and was very pleased with it, until suddenly the display and the photos all had a very strong pink colour cast.   Web search revealed that other people had similar experience with the same model, and the only cure was to fit a new sensor (uneconomic for an old camera).

17 minutes ago, McSpredder said:

I have never used either WiFi or cable for transferring photos, just a card reader plugged into a USB port on the PC.   Card reader from Poundland seems to work as well as the ones from computer shops.    Wife's laptop has a built-in card reader.

Just out of interest, did it die completely?   Only asking because I used a Lumix TZ3 (pocket size, 7Mp, 10x zoom) for about 8 years and was very pleased with it, until suddenly the display and the photos all had a very strong pink colour cast.   Web search revealed that other people had similar experience with the same model, and the only cure was to fit a new sensor (uneconomic for an old camera).

The only problem with using a card reader it you will wear the gold contact out on your sd card , and they are not cheap these days to replace a good quality one . 

If you are going to go down the route of buying new think about battery issues. Nothing worse than running out of juice when miles from a charger. You need to either buy extra batteries or, my preference, buy a camera that takes AA which are light and small.For my Nikon DSLR I have four spares. My carry around Olympus takes AA so there is always a pack in the car.

40 minutes ago, McSpredder said:

it refuses to format the memory card...says there is an error...............

going for a new camera with all the bits.........in the old days i would have sent it away for fixing ..........cant be doing with that now.......

i have retired all my old garden machinary ..that i used to fix and curse and swear at...and replaced them all bit by bit ..including the pressure washer...for new sthil stuff real now brainer...its drained my acc but made my life a lot easier.......

i wonder sometimes with this modern electrical equip' ......that when a camera or such like reaches a certain age...a "fault programme " kicks in...:hmm:

24 minutes ago, ditchman said:

i wonder sometimes with this modern electrical equip' ......that when a camera or such like reaches a certain age...a "fault programme " kicks in...

can't be my lumix tz3 is still going strong, pull it out the drawer charge the battery and of we go,

just a thought, have you tried a different card, they have been known to fail

2 hours ago, johnphilip said:

I still have all my  darkroom  equipment  in the loft , cost me  a fortune . No one wants it now. I have seen cameras like Bronicas and Hasselblad  selling for peanut. 

Film's on its way back just like vinyl. Some quality film cameras are now selling for the same if not more than their equivalent price when they were new. There are still some bargains to be had but be careful of condition if you're thinking of buying.

1 hour ago, itchy trigger said:

can't be my lumix tz3 is still going strong, pull it out the drawer charge the battery and of we go,

just a thought, have you tried a different card, they have been known to fail

yup tried that as it was the cheapest fix ...no luck tho'

3 hours ago, johnphilip said:

The only problem with using a card reader it you will wear the gold contact out on your sd card , and they are not cheap these days to replace a good quality one . 

Bought my first digital camera in 2003, and never yet had a problem with any SD cards (now I have written that, one of them will probably conk out tomorrow).

Re prices, it is several years since I last bought an SD card, but Sandisk now seem to cost around £1 per gigabyte.   How would you rate them for quality?     My present camera takes 12Mp, and its best quality JPEG images are 4.5Mb, which suggests that £1 worth of card memory should store at least 200 pictures.  (As an amateur snapper, I don't bother to save RAW images, which would of course produce much larger files).    Anyway, photography is a great deal cheaper than when I had my first ever camera (late 1950s), taking 8 pictures on a roll of film.

Edited by McSpredder

3 minutes ago, McSpredder said:

Bought my first digital camera in 2003, and never yet had a problem with any SD cards (now I have written that, one of them will probably conk out tomorrow).

Re prices, it is several years since I last bought an SD card, but Sandisk now seem to cost around £1 per gigabyte.   How would you rate them for quality?     My present camera takes 12Mp, and its best quality JPEG images are 4.5Mb, which suggests that £1 worth of card memory should store at least 200 pictures.  (As an amateur snapper, I don't bother to save RAW images, which would of course produce much larger files).    Anyway, photography is a great deal cheaper than when I had my first ever camera (late 1950s), taking 8 pictures on a roll of film.

i average about 3 really good pics im happy with per 36 exposures.........so a digital camera is a must for me

9 minutes ago, McSpredder said:

Yep sandisk are very good you want one that writes fast . A number 10 is fine i dont shoot Raw . Cant be bother spending time using lightroom to sort them . Life is to short i just shoot in jpeg  at around 14 meg  per picture  on my Nikon camera i dont use to higher  gig sd card think its around 25 ish . Just  take picture then transfer them . When i think back all the silly money i spent on camera gear and now worth nothing  .