Light dinner this evening

Rob85

Just a light but lovely dinner tonight, the farm shop I get my veg from has just in the last day or so dug up their new earlies so my wife steamed some in their jackets, sauted down some scallions in butter and dumped it over the top, 2 bits of lovely crispy back bacon and a nice dusting of white pepper. I'm not normally a huge fan of plain spuds but good Lord they were good. My missus on the other hand is one of those demons who  can eat a plate of steamed spuds and butter with nothing else but a sprinkle of salt. 

20200604_171713.jpg

if you get a decent tasting spud ..there is nothing better.......trouble is most commercial spuds have no taste.......

the old boys around here many years ago used to pick all the tubers and save the tiddly little ones ..the size of marbles and deep fry them ....i bet they were nice.

Edited by ditchman

1 hour ago, Sprucey said:

Few Broad Beans and Peas, Big knob of butter Lovely!

Broad beans....now that's a treat I don't get often. I reckon if I get another bag of earlies I'm going to hammer them with corned beef, broad beans and white sauce ooohh yes!

3 hours ago, ditchman said:

if you get a decent tasting spud ..there is nothing better.......trouble is most commercial spuds have no taste.......

the old boys around here many years ago used to pick all the tubers and save the tiddly little ones ..the size of marbles and deep fry them ....i bet they were nice.

My mate and his Mrs are Irish and say the same, the spuds over here are rubbish, full of water and absolutely no flavour at all!! 

I must say when we stayed in West Ireland with them the food even at local small time pubs was unreal. 

What are the best tasting potatoes the Uk has to offer? 🤷‍♂️

1 minute ago, Lloyd90 said:

My mate and his Mrs are Irish and say the same, the spuds over here are rubbish, full of water and absolutely no flavour at all!! 

I must say when we stayed in West Ireland with them the food even at local small time pubs was unreal. 

usually the small salad pots.....pink fire apple and such like....but all the big ones are stodge and tastless

As a kid,  the first early potatoes my dad dug up, [following a long winter and the last mash of the old ones,]  Probably the best food known to man is a big plate of local lamb, young broad beans, peas and fresh mint, followed with the first strawberries, all out of the garden

Best spuds about are any grown near where I live with the good soil we have. We also have comber spuds and anybody in northern ireland is bound to have heard of Comber spuds...European recognised like Melton Mowbray pork pies. Main types we get in green grocers would be Maris piper, king edwards(hope that's right) Dunbar standards, kerrs pinks and depending on the seasons we would get Cyprus potatoes....the wife's favourite with butter salt n pepper. 

On 05/06/2020 at 11:42, Lloyd90 said:

First time I tried growing my own I planted seed potatoes called a Cara, quite an old irish potato, I didn't bank on it also being one of the tallest growing potato plants around, they grew that tall they blocked the light from the onions in my next row and all they were fit for was being used as scallions!

With the prevalence of supermarkets in England Scotland and Wales to feed the big cities I reckon most of the potatoes you get are a general mass produced spud, being cultivated on factory scales like that you not only lose flavour but also nutritional value. Best place to get spuds is a farm shop or small town green grocer where you get spuds that still have soil on them from being dug only a few days before, there's nothing better than digging some and having them in the pot within the hour!

Edited by Rob85
Spelling

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/06/2020 at 08:14, ditchman said:

im with you  all about taste flavour         being Irish   kers pinks  or  aren banners      at a push  records      sorry after 30+ years cant remember all the variety's we had      mother      boiled the little tates then fried them the next day with butter    scallions / spring onions  and parsley and more melted home made  salted butter with home smoked bacon  a bit like a stir fry  nothing wasted every one satisfied and full  for nought  as  the tate size was unsalable          I still slice tates thinly and fry in butter and herbs  old school      adding mushroom    scallions      diced / caned tomato  and eggs or two  a sprinkle of parcely  salt and pepper  dry smoked bacon        for breakfast  not necessarily in this order stir it all up and let it set when the eggs are cooked  enjoy