Sign in to follow this  
Jacko3275

Stubble fields

Posted (edited)

Before harvest gets here I was just wondering what your set ups are on stubble fields....E.g  If they have been shot at on standing rape all season heading for a magnet would they be more weary of it than say a flapper and shells

cheers in advance oh wise ones

jacko

Edited by Jacko3275

Posted (edited)

Winter pigeons are a totally different bird to summer/harvest pigeons, lot more forgiving and much easier to decoy, they can sometimes seem suicidal on rape stubble, makes little difference that the rape was shot over during the winter.

Plus you will have large numbers of young birds that are even easier to decoy, don’t be surprised when they try to land on the arms of your magnet.

Edited by old'un

Pigeons are not particularly clever creatures. They will likely not remember having been shot at a few weeks before,  and what their imitations looked like at the time. I seldom change my tactics throughout the year.

Jacko, there is a lot of shooting to be done before harvest. Pigeons are still going into standing rape, they are on spring rape, peas and from next week in your area they will be looking for lodging in winter barley fields.

As for pigeons not being clever they are always clever enough to beat me but perhaps not clever enough to know not to live anywhere near Motty and Muncher.

4 hours ago, JDog said:

Jacko, there is a lot of shooting to be done before harvest. Pigeons are still going into standing rape, they are on spring rape, peas and from next week in your area they will be looking for lodging in winter barley fields.

As for pigeons not being clever they are always clever enough to beat me but perhaps not clever enough to know not to live anywhere near Motty and Muncher.

I'm surprized thire are any pigeons left in the M&M back yard!

1 hour ago, dead eye alan said:

I'm surprized thire are any pigeons left in the M&M back yard!

There’s plenty of pigeons in that area…….but they are the clever ones.:whistling: