Catapult Newbee...where to start

Keith RW

Last time I had a catty for  real was in the seventies with the alloy Milbro version......bust a few thumb nails as I remember and barely hit a thing.

looking to get one to have a play with and there seems to be endless shapes and sizes out there, OTT or TTF

what did you guys start out with

55 minutes ago, B725 said:

The only one's we had was cut from a branch and made them ourselves.

Make your own. Far more satisfying.

We did. Branch from tree, 1/4 inch elastic from the local model store and a tongue from an old boot discarded on a bomb site held together with whippings you learned in the scouts. The best ammo was ball bearings. (My father was in the motor trade, so discarded ball races were wrapped in a rag to avoid shrapnel, placed in a large vice with a bit of scaffolding pole for extra leverage and ball bearings were recovered in that way.) Absolutely lethal. 

Edited by Bobba

1 hour ago, Keith RW said:

Last time I had a catty for  real was in the seventies with the alloy Milbro version......bust a few thumb nails as I remember and barely hit a thing.

looking to get one to have a play with and there seems to be endless shapes and sizes out there, OTT or TTF

if you want i will put a homemade tree branch catty thread up............make your own as the other boys say

58 minutes ago, ditchman said:

if you want i will put a homemade tree branch catty thread up............make your own as the other boys say

Well, I for one would like to see that as I have a couple of butter wouldn't melt/feral granddaughters who would love one!

13 hours ago, Keith RW said:

There's plenty to choose from here - including original and look-alike Milbro's, so you can amaze your mates with your lovely new black thumbnail.  :oops:

11 hours ago, Keith RW said:

Thanks for the replies guys and the offer Ditchman, got too many projects on the go at present without taking anymore on, just looking for something to stick in my pocket when out and about for now.....

Iv'e some frames if you want to buy one ,Iv'e even got a brass Millbro type  .

I do enjoy making catapults, Took me a while and much swearing to perfect the method you have used Ditchman for attaching the pouches to the tubes. I used alcohol as a lubricant but it evaporates too quick, which is apparently the whole idea.

20190623-110406.jpg

Another Laminate catty with tubes, used the bar method to attach the elastic to the forks, which I didn't believe would work but it does.

One more..

20190903-181302.jpg

Edited by fatchap

56 minutes ago, ditchman said:

MAKES A NICE NEAT JOB THO DONT IT...:good:

It does, its actually a stronger fitting than the tie method on bands, you just have to make sure you get it straight or the bands twist, dosn't effect the performance just extremely annoying.