Browning Maxus Barrel Length

Lloyd90

What length has everyone got for the Maxus? 

I have bought my decent SxS so all I need now is a 3 1/2 HP steel proof gun and I'm sorted :D 

I am looking around but the local gunshop only has the one I want with a 30" barrel and reckon they won't be able to get either the 26 or 28 this year. 

2 issues, is a 30" semi (Maxus) being that the chamber is also longer going to be massive, it's going to be similar to a 32" + OU ... and that's before you put the 2" extended choke in for fowling ... and 2nd issue is I don't think it would fit in my gun cabinet anyway. 

23 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

Not a maxus but I went 26" on my affinity, would of have a 24" if the option was there.

Got fed up of pulling my old A303 apart to get in it the cabinet and swore I'd never have another long auto again 😂

Yeah I won't be doing any of that nonsence. 

7 minutes ago, Docleo said:

Does the lenght of the chamber change the overall lenght of the barrel? 

It changes the overall length of the gun ... so a 28" barrel semi will be as long or even longer than a 30" OU. 

1 hour ago, A bolt 22.250 said:

My 26” Maxus with a kicks choke in the end is at least 1.5” longer than my 30” over  & under I had a 28” benelli black eagle before and I found it to cumbersome in a pigeon hid.

if it were me I’d have a look around and find a 26” barrelled one.  

I shot my mates 28” one just yesterday and it didn’t seem overly long and shot very well so I think that would be acceptable and will fit in the cabinet (with a normal choke). 

My Maxus is a 28" barrel the sx3 I used to have was 26" and with ext Wildfowling chokes was great. Went in cabinet and most gunslips.

My Benelli supersport is 30" and won't sit in the rack in my extra height cabinet, so has to lay at an angle in front of the other guns due to the shelf and ammo box above in the cabinet, special long gunslips required too. Go to a different RFD and get no longer than 28" or better still a 26" barrel one.

I have a  Maxus with 28''' barrels. Due to the stock being short I have lengthened it with the spacers you can buy and it now fits me quite well.

It fits in a 32''' gun slip ok but I do have an issue fitting it in the cabinet like Figgy due to the ammo shelf inside.

I have measured by overlaying the Maxus  on top of my Miroku MK38 with 32''' barrels (no extended chokes in either gun) and both are near as dam it the same length.

As said above if cabinet space is the priority then 26'' barrels are the way to go but prior to me buying my Maxus  I did some searches on here and it appears that the most popular barrel length for SA is 28'''.

On 05/06/2020 at 19:48, Lloyd90 said:

2 issues, is a 30" semi (Maxus) being that the chamber is also longer going to be massive, it's going to be similar to a 32" + OU ... and that's before you put the 2" extended choke in for fowling ... and 2nd issue is I don't think it would fit in my gun cabinet anyway. 

My maxus is a 28" for the very reason you stated, I had a go with a 30" and I felt it was very similar to a 32" O&U, didn't like it much so i went 28".

Dirty pro tools sell an extra long cabinet for £115 delivered, this is what i bought to house my autos. Its big enough to keep a velocity xlr5 inside without removing the barrel. 

I have to say though that the build quality of my maxus is not what i was expecting from browning, the components are not finished that well When compared to Benelli/Fabarm/franchi and it has a cheap feeling to it IMO. However, the speed load is a thing of beauty and it eats up heavy carts with no problems and transmits less recoil than my other guns.

1 hour ago, Taileron said:

My maxus is a 28" for the very reason you stated, I had a go with a 30" and I felt it was very similar to a 32" O&U, didn't like it much so i went 28".

Dirty pro tools sell an extra long cabinet for £115 delivered, this is what i bought to house my autos. Its big enough to keep a velocity xlr5 inside without removing the barrel. 

I have to say though that the build quality of my maxus is not what i was expecting from browning, the components are not finished that well When compared to Benelli/Fabarm/franchi and it has a cheap feeling to it IMO. However, the speed load is a thing of beauty and it eats up heavy carts with no problems and transmits less recoil than my other guns.

Really? Hmm 🤔 

Was also considering a Franchi Affinity 

2 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Really? Hmm 🤔 

Was also considering a Franchi Affinity 

I cant speak highly enough of the Affinity, the build quality for the price point is exceptional. A bit tricky at the moment, but i would definitely recommend visiting a dealer who has stock of the Affinity/Maxus/Velocity/M2. Once you pull them apart the difference In quality is quite obvious. Benelli/Fabarm are in a completely different league IMO, but they should be because they are expensive. I paid £515 for my affinity and its been absolutely hammered in all weathers, no problems at all. The cocking handle is fiddly so i have replaced it with an aftermarket one. The only issue i have personally had is the LOP, its short for me so I have added some spacers and it fits nicely. 
A bit of a longwinded answer, but i hope it helps. Best of luck with the search👍

15 minutes ago, Taileron said:

I cant speak highly enough of the Affinity, the build quality for the price point is exceptional. A bit tricky at the moment, but i would definitely recommend visiting a dealer who has stock of the Affinity/Maxus/Velocity/M2. Once you pull them apart the difference In quality is quite obvious. Benelli/Fabarm are in a completely different league IMO, but they should be because they are expensive. I paid £515 for my affinity and its been absolutely hammered in all weathers, no problems at all. The cocking handle is fiddly so i have replaced it with an aftermarket one. The only issue i have personally had is the LOP, its short for me so I have added some spacers and it fits nicely. 
A bit of a longwinded answer, but i hope it helps. Best of luck with the search👍

What’s the standard lop and does it come with the spacers mate?

34 minutes ago, Taileron said:

When it comes to unloading it, is the only way to do it by racking the handle then pushing the little square shape button with the dot on it too release the next cart or an I missing something?

23 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

What’s the standard lop and does it come with the spacers mate?

Its just over 14" with the standard pad, with the thicker pad I think it came in at 14.5" I managed to source a thicker pad and spacers off flea bay for £25 and mine is 15".  I have since been told that GMK Will supply them if asked. 

13 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

When it comes to unloading it, is the only way to do it by racking the handle then pushing the little square shape button with the dot on it too release the next cart or an I missing something?

Yes buddy, you are correct. The instructions tell you to rack out the first shell, then push over the little retainer spring to allow the next cart in the magazine to come rearward, which is a right PITA. I rack out the first shell, depress the button and repeat until the magazine is empty.

Edited by Taileron

14 minutes ago, Taileron said:

Yes buddy, you are correct. The instructions tell you to rack out the first shell, then push over the little retainer spring to allow the next cart in the magazine to come rearward, which is a right PITA. I rack out the first shell, depress the button and repeat until the magazine is empty.

Cheers, after coming from an old a303, which was depress the little clip inside the loading gate and they pop out under the force of the spring it does seem more complicated than it needs to be.

Other than that couldn't agree more with your first post, wouldn't be without mine now. 

Edited by Farmboy91
Spelling