The Village Peaple

Clodhopper

I recently received a message from my old mucker JDog that a pea grower we shoot for had some peas on the outside of the next village to mine. Could we keep an eye on them asked the farmer. We certainly could as it is only 5 mins from my house.  So this last week I have spent quite a few evenings after work loitering in gateways around the back of said village. There were 5 fields in total but only 2 were shootable due to proximity to houses, public footpaths, roads and a nature reserve. There were, however, a good number of pigeons which seemed to be very active in the evenings. 

A plan was set to meet at 4.30 this afternoon and see what we could do. The forecast was for heavy showers between brights spells of sunshine and a nice 15 mph wind. JDog had invited my cousin to shoot with him as I had a few last minute jobs on and was not sure what time I could make it down.

The other two chose a spot on the most northerly field against a thick hedge with the wind on their backs. The plan was that the birds would come from the village to the west and curl back round on the wind. I sat with them to start with as I had not really intended to shoot but enjoyed watching  the action. The birds duly arrived and swung into the decoys as planned. Giles dropping a lovely crosser and moments later JDog dropping a pair that screamed over from behind. 

After half an hour or so it became apparent that a number of birds were overshooting this field and heading to a smaller field to the south. Having scrounged a couple of birds for the rotary I headed off to this field to see if I could keep the birds on the move. 

Having got set up on the other field, down wind of the other two, I could not only hear the shots but the banter between them was being carried into my hide as well. They both seemed to having a good laugh and plenty of shots.

A few birds came my way and a few made it into the bag. The pattern followed that the other two had some shoots and then I had a flurry of birds  which then headed off back to the village. At around 7.45 the lines dried up and we called it a day. JDog and Giles had managed to put 32 in the bag with 2 lost in the thick hedge. I had 26 down but only managed to pick 21 with the others dropping in a very deep and bramble filled dyke.

Both field we shot had gas guns and numerous flags and scarecrows on but these seemed to have little effect on the pigeons. I will be keeping a close eye on these peas as I think there may well be another good evening there in a week or so.

Thanks for reading. 

I cannot add much except to say that Clodhopper must have been 400m away yet could hear me shouting ‘Stock Dove’ as Giles misidentified the quarry species numerous times. Thankfully no Stock Doves were harmed during our session.

Yet again an enjoyable read Clodhopper , Peas are now beginning to produce some reasonable shooting down this way now although it is normally late in the afternoon before there is any movement , last Saturday afternoon I did get 20 odd in a couple of hours and me and Lakeside arranged a go on Thursday , the weather had turned very cold with lightish showers , after only having a few shots and with the clouds getting darker I packed up as I don't like getting wet , but Alan ( Lakeside ) put his fishing umbrella up and stuck it out until the sky cleared , after shooting with a new box of shells that seemed like the shot had been taken out he then went back to his old ones and finished with a decent bag of 32 , he was saying the best time was around 7pm , just when I was tucking into my pork chops :lol:

11 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Yet again an enjoyable read Clodhopper , Peas are now beginning to produce some reasonable shooting down this way now although it is normally late in the afternoon before there is any movement , last Saturday afternoon I did get 20 odd in a couple of hours and me and Lakeside arranged a go on Thursday , the weather had turned very cold with lightish showers , after only having a few shots and with the clouds getting darker I packed up as I don't like getting wet , but Alan ( Lakeside ) put his fishing umbrella up and stuck it out until the sky cleared , after shooting with a new box of shells that seemed like the shot had been taken out he then went back to his old ones and finished with a decent bag of 32 , he was saying the best time was around 7pm , just when I was tucking into my pork chops :lol:

Much the same in this area. We have not seen much interest in peas until the last week or so. Birds seem to be loitering round in the trees/ hedges for most of the day and then having a mad couple of hours later on in the day.

Glad to hear you are finding a few.