Shooting over Peas

Centrepin

Decoyed over peas yesterday, first time.

Shoots where about 4" high and green. Evidence of pigeon/corvids feeding but very few to be seen about. Heard odd crow from adjacent field.

Saw only 3 or 4 pigeons in 2 hours but it was foul weather and started hailing. Packed up no shots fired.

As not enough pigeon about despite an hours recce, can't work out a flight line. Wind is pre predominantly from the North which puts it either right to left across me or from behind if I could manage a half mile walk round a field which unfortunately is beyond my capability. South side of field is directly on a road.

I was told maybe wait till peas start to flower then try again. How long is that? 

Picture attached as I always take a snap of my hide and pattern to dissect later.

So....any advice please?

20200606_072524.jpg

From the photo that doesn’t look like peas to me.

With refers to when they will feed on peas, it can be anytime from drilling right through to harvest. I have been watching a field that has had none on it for weeks and weeks. Now the pods are developing the birds seem attracted. Like wise we shot a few last night on another field that is only a couple of inches high.

15 minutes ago, Clodhopper said:

From the photo that doesn’t look like peas to me.

With refers to when they will feed on peas, it can be anytime from drilling right through to harvest. I have been watching a field that has had none on it for weeks and weeks. Now the pods are developing the birds seem attracted. Like wise we shot a few last night on another field that is only a couple of inches high.

Having never shot over peas, I can't identify the crop, but know I was on the right place due to Grid refs and airiel photos. I was told they were peas so any help if they're not would be welcome.

I sort of guessed the answer might be "anytime", but thought maybe worth an ask.

4 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

Having never shot over peas, I can't identify the crop, but know I was on the right place due to Grid refs and airiel photos. I was told they were peas so any help if they're not would be welcome.

I sort of guessed the answer might be "anytime", but thought maybe worth an ask.

From the leaf shape and row spacing I would think it is maize. 

Peas are one of those wonderful crops that can produce a bag at any stage of the crop cycle so it really is just a case of watching and seeing what happens. 

Best of luck.

1 hour ago, Centrepin said:

Decoyed over peas yesterday, first time.

Shoots where about 4" high and green. Evidence of pigeon/corvids feeding but very few to be seen about. Heard odd crow from adjacent field.

Saw only 3 or 4 pigeons in 2 hours but it was foul weather and started hailing. Packed up no shots fired.

As not enough pigeon about despite an hours recce, can't work out a flight line. Wind is pre predominantly from the North which puts it either right to left across me or from behind if I could manage a half mile walk round a field which unfortunately is beyond my capability. South side of field is directly on a road.

I was told maybe wait till peas start to flower then try again. How long is that? 

Picture attached as I always take a snap of my hide and pattern to dissect later.

So....any advice please?

20200606_072524.jpg

Centrepin,

Maize as above is easily identified as it`s one of the only crops that is drilled about 18 inches apart. As said, only corvids maybe interested initially when first emerging but should be good after harvest.

OB

• 2 weeks later...

I shot again over peas Tuesday, different field, proper peas this time.  18" to 24" high and pods filling out. 1 pigeon at too long a range in 2 hours and not another bird to be seen. Packed up and moved on to another perm. Leaving it a few weeks now.

Sticking to where I know there are Crows and go back to pigeons later.

On 18/06/2020 at 18:09, Centrepin said:

I shot again over peas Tuesday, different field, proper peas this time.  18" to 24" high and pods filling out. 1 pigeon at too long a range in 2 hours and not another bird to be seen. Packed up and moved on to another perm. Leaving it a few weeks now.

Sticking to where I know there are Crows and go back to pigeons later.

If there are no pigeons using the field you won’t shoot any pigeons, simply setting up because a field has peas in it isn’t the best way to go. 
Spend some time finding a field where the pigeons are going in and then study the flightlines for a day or two at least, you’ll then have an idea of a.) where to put your hide and b.) what time of day to shoot. 
Good luck 

Edited by Wilts#Dave

6 hours ago, Wilts#Dave said:

If there are no pigeons using the field you won’t shoot any pigeons, simply setting up because a field has peas in it isn’t the best way to go. 
Spend some time finding a field where the pigeons are going in and then study the flightlines for a day or two at least, you’ll then have an idea of a.) where to put your hide and b.) what time of day to shoot. 
Good luck 

The problem with that field is the distance from home, about 1 & 1/2 hours so unfortunately a recce is out of the question cost and time wise. I have to take it on advice or sit and watch on the day first before setting up. Makes it a very early start, very late finish or both. The only obvious flight line is some 1/2 mile to the South over land I have no access. To the North of the field is a bridleway, in use, and locals are frequently using it to steal peas. 

I've given up on it for now as I can almost guarantee a bird or two, maybe a squirrel and always rats if I take the air rifle or silenced .410 on my own perm which is only a few minutes from home.