Pigeons on barley yet ??

On 07/06/2020 at 09:33, marsh man said:

Every year seem different from the previous one as far as shooting on or over grain fields , in the local paper yesterday, a farmer with a large amount of land was saying his barley fields were the worst he had seen them for at least 20 years , up until this weekend there had been no rain whatsoever , our winter wheat fields had been irrigated for the last four weeks and now the spuds are getting a soaking .

Looking back in some old diaries the earliest I could find when I shot over laid Barley was down the marsh on the 20th June , that was a number of years ago , now with this so called global warning I am sure some years it could be a bit earlier depending on what part of the country you live in .

What is also different is the height of the stems , now they are shorter with a thicker stem so you need heavy rain and a good wind at the right time of growth to knock it down , the tell tale signs are pigeons sitting on telegraph wires or sitting on the branches of dead trees , at this time of the year you can easily look when you leave off work or after tea if you have it earlier enough , spend a bit more time watching and it will pay dividends .     GOOD LUCK.

Hi MM

was up on one of my small permissions yesterday for a scout around, the Farmer has asked me to stay away over the restrictions period but now happy for me to resume visits. It is mostly barley and noticeably stunted. Speaking with the farmer in the yard he said he estimated that his yield this year will be around 40-50% less from the barley as the stunted growth is a direct result from lack of rainfall resulting in reduced growth and weight at the grain head. He said the last time he recalled it being like this was around 1975.

We had 3 good nights of rainfall here last week so hopefully may bring things on a little.

atb

7diaw

5 minutes ago, 7daysinaweek said:

Hi MM

was up on one of my small permissions yesterday for a scout around, the Farmer has asked me to stay away over the restrictions period but now happy for me to resume visits. It is mostly barley and noticeably stunted. Speaking with the farmer in the yard he said he estimated that his yield this year will be around 40-50% less from the barley as the stunted growth is a direct result from lack of rainfall resulting in reduced growth and weight at the grain head. He said the last time he recalled it being like this was around 1975.

We had 3 good nights of rainfall here last week so hopefully may bring things on a little.

atb

7diaw

Hi 7diaw........ We have had some very welcome rain over the last 3/4 days in fact looking out of my window it is raining hard at the moment , it could well have saved some crops from disaster but I feel for some crops it have came a bit to late , as you might recall I was looking forward to how the chick peas were going to turn out as you kindly informed me they had only been grown last year in Norfolk for the first time , well they were drilled in more or less soil that looked like dust , after ten days they were coming through the surface in bits and pieces , then I looked again a few days later and the sun looked as if it had knocked out the few plants that had grown , now yesterday it looked as if nothing had been put in as you couldn't hardly see a growing plant , so unless the rain can work a miracle then I fear I wont be shooting any Pigeons over chick peas .

@marsh man

That is disappointing for you as it would have been interesting to see what activity they would have drawn but let us be hopeful that the crop picks up for you. How have the the marshes and waterways fared in the dry climate in your neck of the woods? , we have been baked dry here prior to the rainfall however, it is chucking it down here at the moment. I have had to postpone an outing with the airifle this evening. 😞

Keep us posted if the 'garbanzo Beans' do anything.

atb

7diaw

Edited by 7daysinaweek

Some barley fields turning yellow round here in Hampshire, sadly not on our shoot. All we have are Oats (still green) and fallow fields.

The fallow fields were left for weedkilling black grass, I managed a 23, 30 and 13 just doing Saturday afternoons on the fallow which had self sown OSR sprouting until they weed killed it and spoiled my fun.

Has anyone had any luck on oats?

• 1 month later...