Weather in your area

islandgun

13 minutes ago, Scully said:

We have friends who have a holiday let just outside the town, and several friends to holiday in that coast, but can’t say I’ve been,  apart from the week it took to erect the aforesaid house. 
My Dad and his twin brother were stationed there as part of their basic training in the 1940’s. 
We really should go. 

We have the oldest barracks in the UK - formally home of the Kings Own Scottish Borderers, which also has a fantastic military museum.

We also have possibly the best salmon fishing river ( tweed) running through the town . 

5 hours ago, the hitman said:

It’s a lovely seaside walled  town that is steeped in history- more pubs than most towns, and  a few decent restaurants. The beaches are as good as you will find, in fact the whole of Northumberland is regarded as a hidden gem- there are worse places to live.

We also have the only English football team playing in the Scottish league- good pub quiz question. 

And you’re still technically at war with Russia!

May was a record month down here for both sunshine and the lack of rain with some people not recording any measurable rainfall , not it is the reverse , Thursday when we went after pigeons it was freezing with showers , now today it started off windy and cold and later on the heavy thundery arrived , not the sort of day to be pigeon shooting . should now be getting better as the new week wear on . 

if we hadnt had that rain in the last couple of days the sugar beet would have ended up at harvest looking like parsnips...and the maize would have been half the size...........came in a nick of time ........who the bloody hell would be a farmer...eh..

13 hours ago, grrclark said:

And you’re still technically at war with Russia!

We were indeed until the 1960‘s !

The declaration of the Crimean war between Britain and Russia stated that Berwick-upon-Tweed was an independent state within the UK. When the declaration of peace was signed Berwick-upon-Tweed was not listed- so as a result Berwick was technical still at war with Russia.

During the 1960’s the then mayor of Berwick traveled to Russia to sign the peace declaration- it was reported that he wrote “ People of Russia you can rest easy in your beds tonight “.

38 minutes ago, the hitman said:

We were indeed until the 1960‘s !

The declaration of the Crimean war between Britain and Russia stated that Berwick-upon-Tweed was an independent state within the UK. When the declaration of peace was signed Berwick-upon-Tweed was not listed- so as a result Berwick was technical still at war with Russia.

During the 1960’s the then mayor of Berwick traveled to Russia to sign the peace declaration- it was reported that he wrote “ People of Russia you can rest easy in your beds tonight “.

I forgot all about that, i do recall now reading about the mayor’s quote.

Trivia aside, I think BoT is a great little town and that part of the world in general is a lovely place.

Some of the architecture, especially those in that rich red sandstone, is impressive.

A walk round the old ramparts is well worth it.

I may be wrong but I believe that Berwick Upon Tweed has changed hands between England and Scotland more than any other place.

29 minutes ago, JDog said:

Some of the architecture, especially those in that rich red sandstone, is impressive.

A walk round the old ramparts is well worth it.

I may be wrong but I believe that Berwick Upon Tweed has changed hands between England and Scotland more than any other place.

In a certain sunlight the town has a pink glow due to the sandstone.

Yes it has changed hands 13 times between England & Scotland, and has been the venue for some epic battles.

The ramparts built by Elizabeth 1 to keep the Scots out never seen any conflict and are quite magnificent especially from an aerial viewpoint.

Other historical characters  like William Wallace & Robert the Bruce all played their part in Berwick’s history .