Off road/Greenlaning....

mad1

4x4 green laners around here seem to be a sensible bunch and drive through the village slowly and carefully.  Motor cyclists are a different matter, roar through flat out and many just on the back wheel. They don't just run the lanesone way they use the lane as their own motor cross layout.  Local farmer had the expense of putting in a new fence and a hedge to stop them taking to his growing crops.  One local unsurfaced track they are not happy to ride the track they use the ditches s well so erode them and block the flow of water. 

11 hours ago, Vince Green said:

The definition of a green lane is a legal roadway (usually an ancient cart track ) that's not the same thing as a public footpath. Only difference is it has never been tarmaced over. The council should still maintain it but of course that doesn't happen so they become over grown and a lot of land owners want them to fall into disrepair.

It doesn't include private farm roads, footpaths or bridleways, towpaths etc. Its not a right to roam

Years ago a lot of motorcycle clubs used to ride the green lanes every year just to be able to say they were still in use so the councils couldn't declare them defunct, they used trials type bikes but they have to be street legal. Road traffic acts are still in force because they are still a road.

Absolutely 

11 hours ago, Wymondley said:

Not an area with many Byways (a vehicle right of way), so I suspect illegal "off roading". Report it to the police and local council.

These people are yobs, they have nothing to do with responsible greenlaning.

Correct in every way, it's like people going out shooting in a public park.

11 hours ago, amateur said:

I did write that it was a long time since I last rode on an RUPP. I don't think that my back could cope with it nowadays 😂

Mine neither, but I'd like to do a few for old times sake. It's a wonderful way to see the country in relative comfort at your own pace.

Some legal routes even have boxes in place to record passing, problems, and repairs needed.

Fortunately close to me there are many, but year after year the councils find some reasons to close them or just illegally block them.

I really like the the Honda.  But being considered a UTV we have to wear a helmet while on legal roads.  Some of our Off road trails are legal forest  roads even though the hardly look like something you would call a road. So you have to know to put your helmet on when on a legal road because your will get a ticket. And that kinda sucks when it’s 90 degrees out side.   Wmj8NIH.jpg

Edited by NoBodyImportant

3 hours ago, mad1 said:

Nobodyimportant....I'm so jealous!!

My cousin has recently moved to Charlotte Carolina...

Stunning area by all accounts.

Thanks everyone for all your comments.

Stay safe

M1

I’m just outside of Charlotte near Lake Norman.  I would love to move farther away but Charlotte is one of the financial centers of the world and I make my money there. I soon as I retire I’m getting as far away from the city as I can.