Old Green Baize

A bit of a long shot but I am just sorting out an old case for a Charles Lancaster hammer gun. I have salvaged and put everything back together apart from the green baize to line the lid. I have some old billiard table cloth but it is too bright. Has anyone stripped out any baize from a case they would sell. Alternatively has anyone tried bleaching or antiquing new baize?

Most of original baize you will find is oil rotten or moth eating  I have found it better to reline the old case   Baize can still be obtained from places such has Peter Dyson  I personally go for felt baize  which can be bought at  some stores , has for ex billiard table cloths these are too thick and   give a bulky look to the inside  over the years I have relined quite a number of gun cases using felt baize

Feltwad

100_2852.JPG

Edited by Feltwad

2 hours ago, Feltwad said:

Most of original baize you will find is oil rotten or moth eating  I have found it better to reline the old case   Baize can still be obtained from places such has Peter Dyson  I personally go for felt baize  which can be bought at  some stores , has for ex billiard table cloths these are too thick and   give a bulky look to the inside  over the years I have relined quite a number of gun cases using felt baize

Feltwad

100_2852.JPG

Thanks I have plenty of genuine felt baize but wanted to try and get a closer match. The new stuff is very bright in comparison. The billiard table will be fine for the lid as the bulk wont show. I wouldn’t use it for fitting out for the reasons you say. I might try a small piece in a Little bleach and see what happens. The case by the way is similar to the above but just as you said the lid has rotted, shrunk and become moth eaten. I have salvaged a little to make up missing lids. I am just fitting a new lock that was also missing.

2 hours ago, Feltwad said:

Feltwad

100_2852.JPG

I note this is a Lancaster. Is that the original case as I will be fitting another case out for my Lancaster percussion gun. This would be a good template!

The case is a original  but  all the internal partitions had been removed , this I fitted out to take the Lancaster percussion gun and the  accessors one of those most difficult is to find a lock and a box key escutcheon although the Ord ones do come up on eBay.

Feltwad  

10 hours ago, Feltwad said:

The case is a original  but  all the internal partitions had been removed , this I fitted out to take the Lancaster percussion gun and the  accessors one of those most difficult is to find a lock and a box key escutcheon although the Ord ones do come up on eBay.

Feltwad  

Thanks, Sounds like the job I will have to do when I move on to that case and the other Lancaster. For this project I have just bought a new box lock from Lockshopdirect. It is way too small but will work fine. I am just filling the gaps with new mahogany and will then try to match in. I will need a new brass disc to make up an escutcheon as that has gone too. I will post a picture when finished.

Edited by Dave at kelton
Typo