• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

23 minutes ago, pork chop said:

Why not 

There's not really a need to open it up. If you have the need for a more powerful airgun you can have one. You just have to apply for a licence. 

There are enough incidents with 12ftlb airguns as it is. Only last year a young boy was killed by his grandfather with one - I think the level of licencing we have now is proportionate. 

30 minutes ago, ClemFandango said:

There's not really a need to open it up. If you have the need for a more powerful airgun you can have one. You just have to apply for a licence. 

There are enough incidents with 12ftlb airguns as it is. Only last year a young boy was killed by his grandfather with one - I think the level of licencing we have now is proportionate. 

Agreed. If anything, 12 ft lb is too much, judging by some of the goons that buy them. Not the genuine people, obviously. 
I have one RFD friend who will not stock air guns because he “doesn’t want idiots coming in the shop”.

27 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

The current system works .

But if i were to change it i would have .177 restricted to 18 fpe and pellet weight to 11 grns .

.20 and cals above  put on ticket at all energies .

Pistols restriced to .177 and 6 fpe  

the current system is thanks to the rubbish we turned out at the time not being able to keep up with foreign stuff and the mistakes of idiots having fac is a expense i could do without for a few more ft pounds but thanks to the above i have to suffer it 

52 minutes ago, ClemFandango said:

That was an illegal rifle over the 12ftlb limit I believe,  but I know what you mean. 

41 minutes ago, Mice! said:

That was an illegal rifle over the 12ftlb limit I believe,  but I know what you mean. 

I stand corrected. 

The principal is there. If I hadn't been up since 02:30 I'm sure it wouldn't be difficult to find other similar incidents with 12ftlb guns. 

1 hour ago, ClemFandango said:

Fully aware of all that 

48 minutes ago, clangerman said:

the current system is thanks to the rubbish we turned out at the time not being able to keep up with foreign stuff and the mistakes of idiots having fac is a expense i could do without for a few more ft pounds but thanks to the above i have to suffer it 

Expense?

Just renewing my FAC now. £56 Works out at £10.11 per year. 

I've paid more than that for a tin of pellets.

1 hour ago, Ultrastu said:

The current system works .

But if i were to change it i would have .177 restricted to 18 fpe and pellet weight to 11 grns .

.20 and cals above  put on ticket at all energies .

Pistols restriced to .177 and 6 fpe  

A lot of sense in that. 

1 hour ago, London Best said:

Agreed. If anything, 12 ft lb is too much, judging by some of the goons that buy them. Not the genuine people, obviously. 
I have one RFD friend who will not stock air guns because he “doesn’t want idiots coming in the shop”.

I can quite believe it unfortunately. 

17 minutes ago, ClemFandango said:

I stand corrected. 

The principal is there. If I hadn't been up since 02:30 I'm sure it wouldn't be difficult to find other similar incidents with 12ftlb guns. 

I've always thought that the limit should be scrapped,  but as you say then the idiots would have easier access to more powerful rifles,  some idiot with a  .25 doing 45ftlb isn't a nice thought.

There's continual talk of airgunners wanting the 12 ft lbs limit scrapped but do you really think this can happen when there is a very good system in place in that you can actually possess an airgun of higher power just apply and get granted a firearms certificate. If you have good reason and satisfy the criteria then you will be granted a license. Simple ! Compared to some countries we have much better access to airguns for the purpose of shooting pests that a lot of our cousins in mainland europe for example.

12 ft lbs of power is more than enough to cleanly kill rabbits. I'm nearly 60 now and i no longer want to (can) crawl around on my belly ( now a lot larger than it was) stalking rabbits for hours on end. I used to love it and could get close and by close the distances were between 20-30 yards. Sometimes i'd get lucky and get really close (5 yards). I got reasonable proficient and the first things got was taught were:  1. Know the  distance of your target. 2. Know your gun/pellet trajectory 3. Practice Practice 4. The target is just behind the rabbits eye and if you can't see it you soon will !

So as time passes your shooting habits can change. These days the last time i used sub 12 ft lbs was for rats and mice. I still shoot quite a lot of rabbit from paddocks where obviously there are horses and damaged crop areas but i either do it from hides or from a truck and the distances are further than I feel confident using <12 ft lbs. So, for my needs at FAC .25 gun suits my needs. At the moment I'm picking this gun up more and more in favour of my .22 long rifles. Things could change though.

I enjoyed reading this thread, thanks to those who posted.

Edited by Whitebridges
Leaving for pastures new.

21 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

VERY obviously  .if a rabbit already  has his head up listening and hears a shot incoming then he wont raise his head more and is likely not to be able to get out of its way in time and the shot will be good . But please belive  me  if your shooting a long range rabbit (say 45 yds plus ) with a sub 12 .22 .they can often duck the pellet as it approaches . (This often leaves you with a familiar "crack " of an impact as you watch the rabbit run off seamingly totally unharmed .

The crack is the pellet hitting the ear .as he sets off to run his head drops first and the pellet strikes it ..

Ive occasionally  shot rabbits later that have perfect pellet holes in the ear .

Now if you say ."thats never happend to me ".your either a lier or you just havent shot enough rabbits  .

I’ve definitely experienced rabbits dodging 12 ft lbs .22 pellets by moving to the shot, as someone mentions a little further on it also happens with rats and I’ve watched a video on YouTube of a chap shooting rats with slow moving .30 calibre I think it was and the rats were definitely moving anD avoiding the shot ! He cured the problem by switching to .22 ! 

You can laugh but it does happen. 

Retracing our steps a little r.e. Rabbit's moving upon hearing a pellet inbound - you need to consider that , in many cases, the quarry is already alert and sitting ready to "launch", the leg muscles are tensed and the escape route planned, the very slightest sound can trigger a "bolt" giving the perception of a lightning reaction.

Edited by bruno22rf

On 07/06/2020 at 16:54, enfieldspares said:

I've never liked the idea of shooting rabbits with any 12 ft/lbs air rifle. I know that You Tube has many many videos of such but it's not for me. I won't do it. The best way would be to see if anyone here on PW can accompany you and ferret them with nets.

Likewise.

On 08/06/2020 at 20:25, Ultrastu said:

Laughter being the last refuge of the imbecile. 

Ok  .over and out  

As usual, you lower the tone and start trying to put people down by name calling,,,, immature in the extreme !!!

On 09/06/2020 at 18:25, bruno22rf said:

Retracing our steps a little r.e. Rabbit's moving upon hearing a pellet inbound - you need to consider that , in many cases, the quarry is already alert and sitting ready to "launch", the leg muscles are tensed and the escape route planned, the very slightest sound can trigger a "bolt" giving the perception of a lightning reaction.

Now this I see a lot, as I expect do many others. But they are only reacting to a sound, or sight/smell of what they perceive as 'danger'. They don't "duck" when they hear a noise. They are immediately looking to run, for an escape route, for safety. 

If anyone seriously thinks rabbits [or any other wild animal/bird] have any conception of what a pellet is, or a gun, or being shot at, or even what a human being is, they are delusional.

Apologies if I've offended anyone, and apologies to the OP for his quite simple question having gone off on a few tangents, but it has highlighted people's concepts and thoughts/ideas on this complex sport of ours 🙂

3 hours ago, JKD said:

Now this I see a lot, as I expect do many others. But they are only reacting to a sound, or sight/smell of what they perceive as 'danger'. They don't "duck" when they hear a noise. They are immediately looking to run, for an escape route, for safety. 

I did a rough calculation of pellet speed versus speed of sound.
At 40 yards a rabbit has less than a 10th of a second to hear the sound and act upon it.
Not disputing the experience of others , but thats damn fast reactions !

2 minutes ago, Robertt said:

I have found this thread extremely disheartening.

I thought Watership Down was a true story 😯

Those were 'special' wabbits.

8 hours ago, Robertt said:

I have found this thread extremely disheartening.

I thought Watership Down was a true story 😯

Yeah, me too 😕 And that WD sideshoot,,,, Watership Matrix 😮

🤣🤣🤣

9 hours ago, ratchers said:

Thanks for all your replies.

Was up at the permission this morning and guess what, no rabbits, maybe next time but did get a squirrel.

Perhaps they all "ducked" out of sight 😂🤣😂

Well done on the squizzer 👍