Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
ratchers

Fatal shot for rabbits

Recommended Posts

20200608_171548.png

20200608_171528.png

20200608_171608.png

Looking at that middle picture  it doesnt actually look like a rabbit skull .but you get the point as far as angles are concerned  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ultrastu said:

.so an airgun pellet that travels slower than the speed of sound is gonna be heard by those huge ears just before the pellet strikes. Up comes his head

😲😲😲 You don't actually believe that do you ? 🤔

Never had that happen, even up to circa 50yds with a sluggish sub 12 in .22 😇

Edited by JKD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah .loads with .22 .main reason i dont use .22 sub 12 for rabbits .

And occasionally  with bismags (700 fps )at longer range .

It surprises me the lack of either experience .or peoples  inability to recognise whats happening when they shoot  and process the infomation correctly .

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, JKD said:

😲😲😲 You don't actually believe that do you ? 🤔

Never had that happen, even up to circa 50yds with a sluggish sub 12 in .22 😇

It gets worse!😂 It must mean rabbits can’t hear from the side well enough then! 🤔🤔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, JKD said:

😲😲😲 You don't actually believe that do you ? 🤔

Never had that happen, even up to circa 50yds with a sluggish sub 12 in .22 😇

VERY obviously  .if a rabbit already  has his head up listening and hears a shot incoming then he wont raise his head more and is likely not to be able to get out of its way in time and the shot will be good . But please belive  me  if your shooting a long range rabbit (say 45 yds plus ) with a sub 12 .22 .they can often duck the pellet as it approaches . (This often leaves you with a familiar "crack " of an impact as you watch the rabbit run off seamingly totally unharmed .

The crack is the pellet hitting the ear .as he sets off to run his head drops first and the pellet strikes it ..

Ive occasionally  shot rabbits later that have perfect pellet holes in the ear .

Now if you say ."thats never happend to me ".your either a lier or you just havent shot enough rabbits  .

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ultrastu, there’s a saying, when in a hole!

There maybe some of us that are able to read the situation and feeding pattern to know when the shot is good. If on the other hand, you are into ear piercing, then crack on!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

VERY obviously  .if a rabbit already  has his head up listening and hears a shot incoming then he wont raise his head more and is likely not to be able to get out of its way in time and the shot will be good . But please belive  me  if your shooting a long range rabbit (say 45 yds plus ) with a sub 12 .22 .they can often duck the pellet as it approaches . (This often leaves you with a familiar "crack " of an impact as you watch the rabbit run off seamingly totally unharmed .

The crack is the pellet hitting the ear .as he sets off to run his head drops first and the pellet strikes it ..

Ive occasionally  shot rabbits later that have perfect pellet holes in the ear .

 

You're imagining things if you think a rabbit can hear a pellet on its way to its skull 😂😂😂 You are seriously delusional fella 😳 And you must be a poor shot piercing so many ears 😕

19 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

 

Now if you say ."thats never happend to me ".your either a lier or you just havent shot enough rabbits  .

 

Definitely not a liar and have shot my fair share of bunnies, and have NEVER seen one duck 🐇😂🤣😂 They just drop with a hole through their brain 👍

Edited by JKD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

💩  

Ooops,,,, looks like you've had an accident, do you want a little green/black bag for that ? 🤣🤣🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The surest sign some one has lost an argument is when they have no reasoned counterpoint and  pretend to laugh .thanks for the excersize its been a while i was getting a bit out of shape . 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was watching a rat video a few weeks ago and the rats were definitely twitching before impact,  can't remember if the pellets were hades or extremes,  but there was obviously some sort of noise.

As for ear piercing on rabbits,  I've always thought it was because of inaccurate range reading,  normally too close with  .22

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

The surest sign some one has lost an argument is when they have no reasoned counterpoint and  pretend to laugh

 

Which is why you put up a silly emoji 😒 and I wasn't pretending to laugh,,,, I think your ideas are laughable to the extreme 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Anyway, the OP got his answers a long time ago, so let's not derail his thread any longer, eh ! 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've shot several rabbits with my sub 12 ftlbs .22 airgun in the last three or four months as I am trying to clear some up around a farm yard and I don't want to use my .22lr for safety reasons. 

Most are head shot as I want to eat them not all, some are chest shot. Several shot with front on head shots no bother, back of the head and side as well though. 

Obviously if you snout one the pellet could deviate or may not penetrate so... Don't aim for the snout. Aim higher. Same as if you snout them with a side on shot really. Again. Don't aim for the snout. 

I have yet to have any bunnies hear my pellet and decide to take it on the chin. I reckon Ultrastu has watched the matrix one too many times. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ultrastu is not incorrect with regards reactions.

It takes 0.23 seconds for a H&N FTT doing 600ft/sec (11.7ftlbs) from muzzle to target at 40 yards (Chairgun)

For animals with flight/fright reflexes, (rats, rabbits, starlings etc) that is enough time for a reaction to commence to hearing the shot, usually a crouch or duck down but like humans, not all animals react with the same speed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

Ive occasionally  shot rabbits later that have perfect pellet holes in the ear .

I've experienced the same on more than one occasion. I do not wish to debate the in's and out's of how it happened. But merely  to endorse the statement above. 

Edited by Bobba

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

It takes .10 seconds for the sound to reach the bunny at 40 yds so your pellet is actually only .13 seconds behind the rabbit hearing the shot.

speed of reflex action to audio stimulus? .15 seconds. 

Unless you live in the matrix. 

 

9 minutes ago, Bobba said:

I've experienced the same on more than one occasion. I do not wish to debate the in's and out's of how it happened. But merely  to endorse the statement above. 

That doesn't endorse anything, only that Stu got his holdover wrong. 

Edited by ClemFandango

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, ClemFandango said:

It takes .10 seconds for the sound to reach the bunny at 40 yds so your pellet is actually only .13 seconds behind the rabbit hearing the shot.

speed of reflex action to audio stimulus? .15 seconds. 

Unless you live in the matrix.

Starling Startle reaction time to audio signal is 0.080 sec, light signal 0.075 sec

Rats are not disimilar,

0.15 sec maybe a human reaction time but we move around  slow compared to birds and smaller mammals.

Quote

Teds Holdover earlierYoutube videos, have some good shots and you can clearly see the birds reacting to the shot before impact, some start to duck, some get a wing up etc. He has entitled it 'Can birds See Bullets' and is shooting FAC air but there is also the noise which may be the giveaway.

Edited by Stonepark

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Just an opinion. I don't think the 12ft/lb law does pests or pest controllers any favours in the UK. It's an arbitrary value right? Something like 18ft/lb would give a little more leeway. I've been shooting rabbits with 22LR for the last 6 years or so and it's such a different experience. With my favourite subsonic rounds, muzzle energy is around 100ft/lb and quieter than a spring air rifle!

Edited by Houseplant

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Houseplant said:

Just an opinion. I don't think the 12ft/lb law does pests or pest controllers any favours in the UK. It's an arbitrary value right? Something like 18ft/lb would give a little more leeway. I've been shooting rabbits with 22LR for the last 6 years or so and it's such a different experience. With my favourite subsonic rounds, muzzle energy is around 100ft/lb and quieter than a spring air rifle1

I think the 12 ftlb limit should be scraped tbh, a limit on cal or velocity maybe considering the powers pcp’s can reach these days 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, pork chop said:

I think the 12 ftlb limit should be scraped tbh, a limit on cal or velocity maybe considering the powers pcp’s can reach these days 

 

Why? 

If you have the need and reason for something more powerful you can get a FAC. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you think you need 12ft lb air guns to kill rabbits you have been reading too many air gun magazines. How come rabbits can be killed with a BSA Cadet producing less than 4ft lb at the muzzle? John Knibbs himself refers to shooting his first rabbit in this manner in his book. OK, not at 40 yards maybe, but at 15/20 no problem.

Tin hat on, comments invited Stu.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The preferred shot, as stated is broadside head shot between the eye and the ear.

I shoot a bit closer to the ear than the eye.

Generally rabbits feed and do a hop or 2, so if your patient sooner or later your rabbit will present a broadside shot.

If they're head down feeding and you can't see a full head, just emit a tiny squeak and they'll pop their head up and freeze.

 

Edited by Robertt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...