A few more Stickleback's

fatchap

3 Stickleback's soon to be winging their way to a new owner. 

This one has Desert Iron wood handle, red G10 liners, its yet to have a Lanyard as my official lanyard or stop knot expert is on strike today. Do like desert iron wood, it just wants to polish up and the patterns and grain just pop right out almost has a metallic look in some places.

20200607-133150.jpg

This one has some sort of wood burl handle can't seem to remember what its called something beginning with a C, Orange liners and random file work down the spine. Just remembered its called Chechan Burl or something like that.

20200607-133051.jpg

And this one has a Arbula Burl handle and a hammered effect finger guard And red G10 Liners.

20200607-133121.jpg

Hopefully my knot expert will be in a better mood tomorrow so I can get them in the post pronto.

Edited by fatchap

Just now, Diver One said:

Stunning! 👍🥇

never tried making a knife...that's another for the rainy days list

what steel did you use  for the blade?

These are made with 440C stainless. Good steel to work with tends to work harden which can be a problem. Or 01 tool steel.

5 minutes ago, ditchman said:

the quality of your knives just continues to increase...they are beautifully done........just really simple no arty farty stuff....just screams hand made quality..:good:

Cheers Ditchman really appreciate that.:good:

Looking forward to receiving them.

They are supposed to be one for me, one for a mate and one as a surprise gift for another mate, I'm not sure I will want to part with any of them!

I will get around to posting pictures of the axe/hatchet that was very kindly restored for me which in turn led to these knives.

Edd 

4 hours ago, markyboy07 said:

Do you heat treat the stainless yourself? 

Yes, but as its 440C You have to make sure everything is in order, shape, bevel, tang, pin holes. Because after heat treat its game over, you can't work the stuff.Biggest drawback in my opinion with 440C.

Makes the best blades without a shadow of doubt..

ive always fancied making a stainless steel blade but was put off by the heat treating process to be honest. Lots of talk about liquid nitrogen and soaking at heat for an hour, air quenching, plate quenching  or oil quenching. do you mind if i ask how you go about it? understand if its a trade secret.

lol

3 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

An interesting quote!:whistling:

😂

Edited by markyboy07

3 hours ago, markyboy07 said:

ive always fancied making a stainless steel blade but was put off by the heat treating process to be honest. Lots of talk about liquid nitrogen and soaking at heat for an hour, air quenching, plate quenching  or oil quenching. do you mind if i ask how you go about it? understand if its a trade secret.

No trade secret involved, 440C is about the best steel you can get for blades, also polishes up to a mirror polish really well, and it keeps it for quite some time.You do need to get it to around 1050  degrees but get it too hot or it won't harden at all. I have heard of air quench for stainless, never tried it but the main thing with oil quenching is the oil has to be warm and clean. I usually heat up an old spanner to cherry red and chuck it in, warms the oil just right, then treat your blade but keep it moving in there with a figure 8 motion. Then temper in the oven for about an hour. And you should achieve around 58-60HRc. Which is pretty good.

I have read some people freeze the blade then heat treat it, I would imagine the only thing guaranteed there would be a warped blade, I may be wrong but I find just making sure the oil is warm and new, does the job for me.

Edited by fatchap