If you are looking for a nice gun case .....

JohnfromUK

21 minutes ago, Blackpowder said:

Personally I have not a clue what most of the tools shown there ar for.

No, nor have I.  I was rather hoping that someone might come along and explain!  My guess is something to do with reloading?  I wonder if the set (the snap caps look shot cartridges) but there are  a whole load more barrels in the base of the case.

58 minutes ago, Smokersmith said:

Lost me at the first sentence ...

"With the days of sliding one’s best gun into a fleece-lined slip and chucking it into the back of an SUV being long gone … "

It is an American publication I think .........

Personally, I think the quoted price for the cases in the link is a typo. I’m sure it should be £2k not £20k.
I say this because a lot of the top London makers use a company called T.E.G., Traditional English Guncases, and their prices start below £2k. I know this because I bought one myself two years ago. It is not too difficult to pay £4-5k for a case: double case, extra barrels, etc. But £20k? I don’t think so.

Edit. Oh, and it is only the recent Purdey ‘Sporter’ model which costs around £65k. Developed in Italy I believe. All other Purdey guns, SxS and O/U, are double that!

Edited by London Best

2 hours ago, London Best said:

Personally, I think the quoted price for the cases in the link is a typo. I’m sure it should be £2k not £20k.

I agree, though with all the accessories as shown, it may well run to £20K.  There are some more pictures here https://www.smithandtorok.com/cases

Handmade leather on oak cases are VERY expensive and with accessories, you can run up a very large bill.  I actually have a gun cleaning case like these https://www.timhardy.com/Shotgun_Combination_Cleaning_Kit--product--54.html and they are much smaller than a gun case.  (Long story, but I didn't buy it new).

My first ever gun was treated to a hard leather case by Brady (rather less delux leather on something cheaper than oak!) over 40 years ago now - and I think it cost me somewhere just north of £100.  Still have it, still looks nice.

Sounds about right. I treated my Wiseman gun to a case from Mr. Brady in 1990. I could only afford the canvas model and that was £160 at that time. I sold it through Wiseman’s with the gun in 2012.

NICE CLEANING KIT, SIR!

Edited by London Best